ADVERTISEMENT

Defeating #1 on back to back nights

Herdcyclones

Varsity
Jul 29, 2006
Roland-Story pulled off that interesting feat. They defeated Class 1A #1 Mason City Newman Catholic on Tuesday night 2-1, and then on Wednesday beat 2A #1 North Polk 3-2. The Norsemen also lost to North Polk 1-0 in the opener of the double header.

R-S has some good and deep pitching, though their offense is a bit suspect. In those 3 games, I'm not sure R-S scored an earned run. In the Newman win, the Knights had 3 errors in the bottom of the 7th to give the Norse the walk off win. In the Comet win, NP had 4 errors.

I'm not ready to crown the Norsemen state champs, but that's still quite a feat to beat a #1 on back to back nights. The Norse might not even get out of their district. Ogden and St. Eds are in the same district, and been playing pretty well.

That's a feat that doesn't happen very often. I'd agree, Roland-Story has a good chance of making a nice run in the playoffs next month and especially so if they can get some timely hitting.

Overall, the Heart of Iowa Conference continues to impress me.

Very impressive. From reading this board, I was starting to think that N Polk was going to walk away from everyone in 2A. Granted, they still could.

Not following too closely, who would be the likely contenders in 2A right now?

Obviously N Polk and Roland Story would be up there. Who else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT