ADVERTISEMENT

DB vs MMC- State Championship!

Sadey thank you for the vote of confidence and kind words to our kids ! Much appreciated ! I hope we will get off of the bus and play hard. Who know's, maybe we'll get a little luck and the east may steal one more.

Reactions: JeffyScoresALLDAY
Because a poster (from another area school) knows about players and match ups, he's automatically a DB fan? I'm knowledgable about other teams and if they were in the finals I would post about them the same way.

The fact that people are straight up attacking DB fans is crazy. I don't understand why some people take stuff so personally. We aren't the ones playing the games...to call a whole community "douche bags" is just ridiculous. As always, DB fans will be bashed, and while we sit back and take it, others call us cocky and claim "we know everything" about the game.

Never did I (or anyone for that matter) claim to know everything. This site is for OPINIONS and FACTS. And it just so happens that I along with a few other east side posters have posted more in depth posts about Bosco, and stated reasons we are confident they will win the game. If knowing players names and listing abilities is a bad thing to you, I'm not quite sure why you're on a message board.

Wow. Hyperbole much. I don't believe I ever claimed that you knew everything or that knowing players' names and listing abilities was a bad thing. It was personally attacking high school kids and creating a username for a high school kid and posting falsely under his name that I had a problem with but you conveniently didn't address that. I don't know anyone from Bosco so I don't have anything against their fanbase I just don't agree with the things mentioned above that the Bosco "supporters" have posted.

Reactions: JeffyScoresALLDAY
Wow. Hyperbole much. I don't believe I ever claimed that you knew everything or that knowing players' names and listing abilities was a bad thing. It was personally attacking high school kids and creating a username for a high school kid and posting falsely under his name that I had a problem with but you conveniently didn't address that. I don't know anyone from Bosco so I don't have anything against their fanbase I just don't agree with the things mentioned above that the Bosco "supporters" have posted.
You are positively right on using Mason's name as a screen name to post trash was a dick move. Pretty certain it was a kid from school ( school email address ). Not sure if it was another player or not, but it was a total classless thing to do and people and coaches are not happy about it. Sometimes kids do stupid things without thinking much about the implications or results. Bottom line is you are right and the actions tarnished the community image. The person who did it owes Mason and Newel Fonda an apology.

Reactions: Johnny100
Bruess and Sweeney line up at wings when they go 2 SE's, 2 Wings with Bagby usually at QB but sometimes Mangrich. Bagby has been at QB more than Mangrich since our game from what I have seen. They have 3 options when he plays QB, QB run, handoff or throw. The throwing part doesn't happen with Mangrich at QB but Bosco doesn't care they just say stop us and nobody really can on any consistent basis which makes it the most frustrating to play against.

Bruess next to Smith is a tough combo. One blocks the DE, one blocks the OLB, Frost pulls around and see ya later. If the backisde LB's flow hard and hit the opp A gap balls out, you have a chance, if they pursue slowly, the BS guard cuts them off and nobody left to tackle Sweeney. He has a great stiff arm, my favorite move personally as a player, and he gets a chunk of yards or scores. Simple. Consistent and their bodies are as good or better than anyone elses in 8man.

DE's or Spieler in MMC's case with the scheme they played last Thursday are in a tough spot, gotta try to not get pinned but if you shoot too wide they kick you out and have lead blockers going up inside and they outnumber you. You have to really get wide and squeeze the play and force the cut back into the pile of bodies and be happy you limited them to a 2 yard gain. When you overplay, overload or overpursue that's when they run the QB ctr and pull the G and Bruess and gash you. Good athletes, good coaching, depth. Something nobody else has all 3 of right now.

The Kryptonite of the DONS!
16 Bodies of starter or close to starter caliber that know their role
A good scheme that spreads them out and doesn't allow them to play downhill in a phone booth
A passing game-They are happy to rush 4 (We handled their 4 man rush) but you have to take advantage of open receivers
Be healthy-If you go into the game against them banged up, you will leave even more banged up
They aren't dirty though I will say that. Smith a couple times flying around a little out of control and got a penalty for helmet to helmet but I guess if I had a 6'3 225 lb body that moved well I would want to fly around and light people up too.

Enough typing for me.

Sidenote-Noah Clayberg (Pella), Logan Backhaus(Spirit Lake) and Cal Eskra (Akron-Westfield) are the 3 best players/athletes I have seen so far in the semis and I have watched every game live or on TV.

Best OL would be Jacobus from Kennedy and Smith from DB

Bruess Charlie Browned both kicks. Coach Yoder confirmed it in the paper. They may want to implement it into the arsenal though. Bruess is pretty uncanny at coming up big in big moments.

I would hate to lose HLV as an opponent just because they have given us some great games, but I would love seeing Bosco in a district with Turkey, Midland, and Elkader. Elkader kids are always just hard hitting hard nosed country boys, gotta love that. All 3 solid programs that would be great competition. I just happened to be standing near by Midland coaches and Yoder during the rain delays this year when Midland made it clear they didn't want to finish because they felt they had " bigger fish to fry next week " lol. Never heard anything quite like that come from one coaches mouth to another, pretty disrespectful in my opinion, but whatever I guess. I know Yoder and staff really wanted to finish that one this year, but oh well. Midland will be a tough out next year. I really miss what our first year in 8 man was like. We played 3 top 10 teams in our first 4 weeks that year. Great back and forth battles that were fun to watch. It will be interesting for sure.

Smiths a confirmed on the scale 255. I know he doesn't look it but I've seen him weigh in after lifting. Moves decent for a 255 lb'er. Hopefully he lands in a decent program and continues to develop. It should be fun to follow his progress.

Also Sadey thank you for the compliment on the kids " bodies ". We've always had a handful of kids that lift, but this years seniors and a few of the underclassmen have really bought in to the program and it's growing momentum. We hope to continue to build on that momentum.

MMC has some stout looking kids as well, Gonna be a war I think.

Last edited:
BoscoFan4Life, you win the award for best investigator on the site. I am from Elkader. So kuchel20 believe it. We lost to the state champs. We were up 26-22 with 4 mins left first half, gave up a TD to go down 30-26 and then they got an onside kick which they also did against NFV in the same way with the ball spinning hard to Bruess' right. Can a DB person confirm whether that was on purpose or he accidentally kicked it off the side of his foot. Watched it several times over and can't tell. He did the same thin in the dome and find it hard to believe it isn't what he is trying to do, great job by him to make it look like it's going deep. But anyway, they got the onside went up 38-26 with 15 secs left in the half and then physically wore us out at the start of the 3rd qrt. Looked like our guys had played 4 qrt's compared to their 2 qrt's. NF had the same exact thing happen and gave up 2 TD's in the first 5 mins of the 2nd half. The common thread here is that we, along with NF, GR and MMC played 11 players on off/def. The depth is the key to their success. I think our game would have been closer throughout if they played 11 like we do. I am not crazy enough to say we would have for sure won that game but it would have been much more interesting. Their advantage is their depth and anyone with football knowledge at even a basic level can understand fresh bodies that can all play at a high level is going to win out most nights. That is why MMC won't be able to stay with them for 4 qrt's.

Back to the Spieler situation. I am not giving this opinion based on 1 game. I can look back at last yr's semi final and remember that he struggled in that game. From what I saw last Thursday, coach holmes and oswald had to pull him aside several times and chew on him. With coach oswald, a guy that has coached multiple teams to a great season, Spieler was pulling away and wasn't giving him any respect when he was talking with him. Several plays on defense he just took off and didn't do his job. We all know in 8man if 1 guy even more so than 11 man, doesn't do their job, TD! Whether there was an injury or not, he was on the field, he looked capable of moving around just fine on offense and injuries shouldn't affect your attitude or ability to be coached. From what I saw, he is the weak spot on their defense. It will only matter if he plays at that level Thursday. If he steps his game up then obviously he isn't the weak link. Somebody is going to be. Bosco will attack that. That is what they do. They did it to us and that is the reason they are 50-2.

Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. If MMC plays that same defensive scheme covering up the C and 2 guards and expects Spieler to set an edge, it will be a long day for MMC and the Dbl Tight 22 Personnel will beat them down. The Bunch look and Sweeney on the jet sweep along with some Bagby passes, accompanied with MMC's inability to throw will be the formula for a DB win.

Something like 38-18. I am more confident in the 38 pts by Bosco than I am in MMC scoring 18.

As usual, critiques are welcome.

Sidenote, BoscoFan4Life I heard a rumor that the state has DB, TV, Midland and us in the same district next year. What do you think are the chances that actually happens?

To me, whether Rockford and NK go up to 11 man is what really changes how the districts will be made. Thoughts?

It's laughable that you think Spieler is the weak spot on defense. The touchdown he allowed against GR was perfect coverage. He tipped the ball and the GR receiver was in the right spot at the right time. That's all apart of football. Spieler was there and did his job. If DB thinks he is a weak spot and tries attacking him they are in for a rude awakening.

Now to DB. I was very impressed with Bagby in the NF game. One of the better passing QBs in 8 man I've seen in awhile. He was fitting balls into tight windows. A few of them got away but for the most part I was impressed. If mangrich lines up at Qb i do not believe this will pan out well for them. There is no threat of a pass. MMC's team speed and ball pursuit will shut him down on the QB runs.

This is going to be a great game. And remember my prediction from earlier in the thread. 3-2 MMC. You heard it here first. Good luck to both teams!

First of all...Kuckel, he said he is unbiased and not from Bosco...so your statement is invalid lol...

Second of all HomeFieldFan..."Half a JV team"....You're now implying that NF didn't have 2 varsity players to replace the 2 men down? Even if they were JV kids, thats not "half a JV team." You're completely discrediting a Don Bosco team that has came from a 1-9 season in 11 man football back in the 2011-12 season all the way to 49-2 in 8-man.

I'm not saying MMC is a bad team, but everyone seems to miss the fact that the only DB losses in their 4 years of 8-man have come (1) in the finals to an MMC team with I believe some 240 lb kids that didn't even get to see the field, so clearly a powerhouse the year they won it, and (2) a NF team that won it last year in the last 3 minutes when Svoboda went down. Again, not blaming injury there or discrediting this year's MMC team...but crazy how it seems credit is never given. MMC is a great team. But in the most recent national rankings, DB is 6th in the nation for 8-man teams. I know it's a stretch to bring up ranking in HS football let alone Iowa, let alone 8-man, but Yoder and the staff at Bosco have made a splash, and it is clearly getting some national attention.

This is a ridiculous statement. Scheidegger is currently committed to the University of South Dakota, so to say you can replace that is delusional. I can't pull up QuikStats, but we all know how dominant Wolterman was last year in the playoffs. N-F's two best players were not playing.

Of course it's ridiculous. Wolterman and Scheidegger are both very good ball players and it would have been a different game. DB may still have won and maybe they wouldn't have. We'll never know. 30-7 and yielding only 25 total yards of offense is pretty dominant. I think what DB fans are reacting to is the fact that last year DB led all but the last 3 minutes of their qtr final match up with NF while missing a senior QB who had 2000 yrds rushing even after missing a couple of regular season games. He went down after scoring in the first 2 minutes of the game. Several NF fans commented that it shouldn't matter and that they went on to win a title because their coaches had everybody ready to play "including the backups". So then now fast forward to this years game and because they lost two very solid starters, they suddenly were playing with " half a JV squad ". But surely the game would have been a different game with those two kids in, whether or not they win because of them, debatable and unknowable. On to the finals.

Last edited:
Okay this is the State Championship thread quit talking about the past. DB lost last year and if we are being correct DB had 2 starters out Alex Bagby OT/DE and Mason Svoboda. They lost it doesn't matter. This year NF lost without 2 starters. They lost it doesn't matter. And for the State Championship MMC vs DB should be a good game. Quit saying Bosco hasn't seen a physical team all year because for me playing for bosco HLV is the most physical team I have played, NF wasn't close to them. You guys said G-R was going to get a rude awakening when they got to the dome but from what I watched GR running backs that were much smaller were laying the wood at the beginning of the game. MMC from watching is a good team no lie they aren't in the state championship for no reason. It doesn't matter is Dalton Smith is a beast or if Specht is! It matters how they line up and if THE WHOLE TEAM DOES THEIR ASSIGMENT'S! You guys arguing about east vs west is stupid and I hope you know you are just embarrassing the teams playing. Watching "grown men" fight about high school football is childish. If we loose I hope you guys don't make excuses for us because your not speaking for us! Congrats to N-F and G-R on great seasons. Can't wait to play MMC thursday!

Sorry I've been gone so long, Jeffy has been celebrating the Historic win over the NF Mustangs. I've been celebrating all weekend, hard. My body just needs a rest. I'll dial in and get focused on The state championship for sure.

Reactions: AaronAnderson
I usually don't join in on the debates on this particular forum, but I must say just because DB lost to MMC in 2012 does not mean they can't get revenge this year and win this year. Also, DB has proven that they are capable to stick with good teams so there should be no reason DB can't stop MMC's last 8 man run. DB has a tremendous line, MMC has a good QB, but what I think will be the difference is who can defend the pass better both teams have proven they can stop the run...It will be a great game!!!
My prediction DB and MMC are close in the first 2 quarters but in the end DB wins by 2 TD's and takes home their second State Championship..Good luck to both teams!!!

Reactions: BoscoFan4Life
After seeing both teams play down in the dome I think this is going to be a very close and great game. Here are a couple thoughts I have going into this game. I am not a fan of either team so I don't know these kids names so I apologize for that.
1. Defenses were both very good in both semi games. NF looked a little confused what they wanted to do against DB on offense but I think the DB NT had a little to do with that. NF had to double team this kid every down and he was still disruptive. Possibly the best player on the field in that game.
2. My impression of the DB offense is that offense is good but not great. Not a fan of the 2 QB system. I think it can lead to too many tells and a good coaching staff will break down their video and come up with a good game plan.
3. MMC's QB was likely the best player on the field in their semi game. I thought GR's perimeter defense was horrible and their tackling was equally bad. I do think they made the MMC QB look a little better than what he actually is but he is still the engine that makes that team run.
4. MMC's defense is in my opinion a step below DB's. I thought GR could have had a better game offensively, but too many mistakes that were their own fault. MMC was more the beneficiary of GR's mistakes versus causing the mistakes.

In the end I think if MMC can continue to get to the perimeter which should take away some of the effectiveness of the DB NT, that MMC could win this game. With all that said I am picking DB to win though.

DB fans are truly Douche Bags. This seems to happen every year and If recall right it happened in 2012 when DB fans said the Dons would roll a much weaker and slower MMC team. What happened there? DB got their asses handed to them. For as much as DB fans keep saying injuries don't matter (NF game) they sure are brining up the Svobodva injury a lot in regards to their other loss in 4 years. Do I think this will be a close game? Yes, and I actually was pleasantly surprised with howDB played Thursday but I am sick and tired of all these cocky DB fans that think they know it all about the F*cking game of football. You all need a reality check and I hope it happens Thursday
I know football.

DB fans are truly Douche Bags. This seems to happen every year and If recall right it happened in 2012 when DB fans said the Dons would roll a much weaker and slower MMC team. What happened there? DB got their asses handed to them. For as much as DB fans keep saying injuries don't matter (NF game) they sure are brining up the Svobodva injury a lot in regards to their other loss in 4 years. Do I think this will be a close game? Yes, and I actually was pleasantly surprised with howDB played Thursday but I am sick and tired of all these cocky DB fans that think they know it all about the F*cking game of football. You all need a reality check and I hope it happens Thursday
I know football.

I see it like this MMC does it with home grown kids. These private schools should have to play up a class. MMC is going to roll. DB is not very good...
Why should private schools play up a class? That's not fair to the class above them either (see Xavier vs 4A schools). Besides, your argument doesn't exactly apply to Don Bosco. It's the only school in town. More like a public school in that respect.

I'd be surprised if Don Bosco loses. Their defensive line is so disruptive. I wish quickstats was working because I don't know a lot about MMC. Either way probably a close game.

DB is the best team. MMC has too many holes and no depth. Spieler as a defender is a weak point. DB will attack and the way he was getting pulled aside constantly tells me he has some "coachability" issues. Don't get me wrong, he has some raw tools but it stops there. MMC is in a better position of leadership with Specht at QB. 97/98 were tired that they had to rotate with one another so their size takes a big hit with just 1 of them on the field. If they line up in the same defense as they did against GR, the TE's will get the edge pinned in and Frost will pull around the end with Sweeney or Sawvel also free to block. I'm not from Bosco, I am from an 8 man NE IA school. We played Bosco, they wore us out because of their depth. The depth of the other 3 Semifinal teams is the same as our's (11 guys), I watched the game and this is a fact. Bosco played 18 on offense/defense. That will be the difference.

Bosco wins by 3 or more TD's. It's gonna be very hard for MMC to move the ball, they can't throw. Specht putting the ball in the air is an INT waiting to happen every pass attempt.

People that watched those games that think MMC is more physical, athletic, better coached or anything of that nature, does NOT know football whatsoever.

Good luck to MMC trying to stop the train that is DB. 49-2 I believe in the last 4 years. Will be 50-2 after Thursday. This isn't trash talk it is valid football knowledge with no emotion or bias attached to it. Please name a balanced team that MMC beat during the regular season. Best wins are GTRA and WBM right? Neither are balanced. HLP may be more balanced but they aren't a state qrt final caliber team obviously.

Thursday will tell the truth about this matchup. I expect the same old story, maybe close until half and then DB wears out and pulls away from MMC. They did it to NF and whether they had Schneidegger and Wolterman or not, they were still more physically capable of holding up against DB than MMC and didn't. Good luck to MMC in this endeavor.

Prediction: 36-18 DB

LOL, must be eating your words now.

I am not Tom Wilwert please do not put this on him. He is a great coach and even better guy. He would never post on here. And I should follow suit. To clear this situation up...

my reactions were based on what was seen at the semi finals and last years semis. I give credit where credit is due. Like I did with DB after they beat Elkader I truly felt there was very little chance of anyone stopping them. Well, surprise surprise I was wrong. MMC showed up in a big way. Speiler especially was a different player on offense. I didn't see that coming. I give full credit to MMC for doing what they did.

The interesting part is how this is dragging on. MMC won the title. Fair and square. Even the Bosco faithful have been almost 100% giving credit to them for what they did. In my mind it was going to take a shocking upset. The way DB played that day and what MMC did to them was kind of shocking from what I had seen. I mean they gave up 25 yds to NF 1 week before and the passing game didn't look good for MMC in the semis. So to have that turnaround, in a ship game was pretty crazy. It happened. MMC won. I nor anyone else is arguing that.

Speiler took care of business and showed up big. At the end of he day that is all that matters, MMC beat Bosco for '15 title. They get that and nobody takes it away. In my mind, and I would think in MMC/Remsen Union's mind and whoever their coaches will be, are on to 2016.

Apologies to the MMC Eagles and Spieler especially. Moving on...

I am not Tom Wilwert please do not put this on him. He is a great coach and even better guy. He would never post on here. And I should follow suit. To clear this situation up...

my reactions were based on what was seen at the semi finals and last years semis. I give credit where credit is due. Like I did with DB after they beat Elkader I truly felt there was very little chance of anyone stopping them. Well, surprise surprise I was wrong. MMC showed up in a big way. Speiler especially was a different player on offense. I didn't see that coming. I give full credit to MMC for doing what they did.

The interesting part is how this is dragging on. MMC won the title. Fair and square. Even the Bosco faithful have been almost 100% giving credit to them for what they did. In my mind it was going to take a shocking upset. The way DB played that day and what MMC did to them was kind of shocking from what I had seen. I mean they gave up 25 yds to NF 1 week before and the passing game didn't look good for MMC in the semis. So to have that turnaround, in a ship game was pretty crazy. It happened. MMC won. I nor anyone else is arguing that.

Speiler took care of business and showed up big. At the end of he day that is all that matters, MMC beat Bosco for '15 title. They get that and nobody takes it away. In my mind, and I would think in MMC/Remsen Union's mind and whoever their coaches will be, are on to 2016.

Apologies to the MMC Eagles and Spieler especially. Moving on...
I think why this keeps dragging on is not because you questioned his talent or ability but how you attacked his character and coachability. I know everyone says things on here that they may regret or that they shouldn't (me included) and I also know things may get taken out of context but to me you went to far. I do believe Spieler got the last laugh tho with how he played. Gotta love the passion of Highschool football fans. Greatest sport in the world by far. I also just wanna say I hope this isn't Tom Wilwert. Have heard good things about him but if this is indeed him this crosses the line and is very unprofessional for any head coach to posting such comments. They need to be the role models. This teaches the kids bad habits

The things you have heard about Tom are not incorrect. In no way were the comments made by him, for him, on behalf of him in any way. He most likely doesn't even know at this point that they were made. I most certainly will make sure he does though.

The statements I made were not false of what appeared to happen in the semis. It was a small sample, that I expounded on and that was wrong to do. Like you said Huskies68, it did attack his character and that I regret. The fingers typed faster than the brain. A good example of why they say re-read a post many times over before clicking submit. I failed to do that and wish I could take it back. I can't, that's life. I can't say much more. Said my peace at this point.

I don't know about you guys, but I am ready for 2016 haha. We know at this point, like you also said Huskies68, the passion of HS sports is alive and well.

The biggest issues ahead include; new districts, new playoff format, and most importantly (who the heck is gonna be in 8man next yr) and with a lot of teams on the border and talking about petitioning, will the state let all of them play 8man.

I know if the # of teams gets above 70 ( 7 Dist's of 10) then the states playoff format using at-large teams is screwed.

As of right now, my count says 64 teams will play 8 man. 63 maybe if the Farragut situation causes Nish to not be 8 man or maybe not enough to have a team. It happened just yesterday, but anybody got info on their ability to field an 8 man team next year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT