ADVERTISEMENT

D6 - Week 9 Picks

UnionFootballFan

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2010
Week 8 Winners:
Anamosa 35, Union, La Porte City 0 ( (ND))
Aplington-Parkersburg 62, Roland-Story, Story City 21
Iowa Falls-Alden 35, South Hardin 14
South Tama County, Tama 41, East Marshall, LeGrand 0

Pick Standings After Week 8:
UnionFootballFan: 30-7
Buckaclone: 29-8
Herdcyclones: 22-15 (picking against BC Moore spreads)
jen44: 21-6 (No Week 1/6 Picks)
Old78: 17-8 (No Week 5/6/8 Picks)
PNation: 14-7 (No Week 5/6/8 Picks)
Ace0162: 3-3 (No Week 2/3/4/5/6/8 Picks)
FootballFan565: 3-1 (No Week 1-6/8 Picks)

Week 9 Games to Pick:
Roland-Story, Story City at Iowa Falls-Alden (Battle for 4th/5th and playoffs vs. staying home)
Saydel at East Marshall, LeGrand (EM locked out of playoffs)
South Hardin at Union, La Porte City (Union locked in 3rd)
South Tama County, Tama at Aplington-Parkersburg (Battle for 1st/2nd...Both teams are in the top 5 in the state, IMO).

D6 Standings:
South Tama (8-0, 5-0)
A-P (7-1, 5-0)
Union (3-5, 3-2)
Iowa Falls (3-5, 2-3)
Roland Story (3-4, 2-3)
South Hardin (2-6, 1-4)
East Marshall (1-7, 0-6)

Roland-Story, Story City
Saydel
Union, La Porte City
Aplington-Parkersburg

I don't post much on these, I just enjoy following along, however I think it will be quite the showdown in Parkersburg on Friday. The best offense in class 2A against the best defense in 2A. I highly doubt that ST will keep AP out of the endzone at Home for the Falcons, so it will be interesting to see how ST responds when being scored on. I am not familiar with ST's offense (if they throw more or run more), because historically teams that could throw on AP usually had the upper hand. I will say AP wins this one 27-21.

I've seen both South Tama and A-P play this year and they look very solid. I think both are Top 5 teams. A-P has not faced a defense like South Tama's and South Tama has not faced an offense like A-Ps. Based on what I have seen I think South Tama's D will shut down A-Ps running game. I do think A-P can pass the ball better than South Tama, but that won't be enough. I'll take South Tama by 2-scores.

While I do agree that South Tama has a legitimate defense, I don't think they have played an offensive line like AP's this year. Ellis (6'4" 275) at tackle is going to UNI on scholarship, and Reed (6'3 290 and FAST) at guard is getting looked at by Iowa and ISU right now. When they line up those two on the same side, it's downright lethal. AP will run into a lot of trouble if the other guys on the line don't step up.

I think Duster and Johnson will get a lot of touches and Ubben will be limited in carries as he's not much of a power runner. AP also has one of the more underrated weapons in the state out at receiver in Nick Waller. He's a playmaker and I think they get the ball in his hands as much as possible. However, a lot of their passes to Waller are average to below average throws and Waller comes back to make the catch against subpar corners. I don't know about South Tama's secondary, but I'm assuming they are more talented than some of the defenses AP has faced. Alberts at QB is also a threat to run the ball.

On the defensive side of the ball, I think AP will have their work cut out for them with Jerry Lowe. They haven't been great tacklers and their secondary minus Waller is average in pass defense. If Lowe gets past Duster and Poppens at LB, he's gone.

I think AP gets a long grind it out drive or two, and also gets one through the air to Waller. But I think their defense doesn't quite get the job done. I'll say South Tama wins 28-21

AP is tough but I think ST is more balanced and will win it in a close one. My guess is it will be a lower scoring game like 14-7.

South Tama losing starting qb to a broken collarbone coul change things. Very good backup but he has only taken ten snaps or so since he was teams leading receiver. That could play a part, add in chance of rain and this looks very interesting!

I've talked to a couple players, media people, and general fans who have seen both ST and A-P. Every one of them picked ST in this game. But they all said they'd love to watch the game, as they think it will be close and interesting. I concur.

As per usual, my picks vs the BC Moore spread....

Interesting how the schedule worked out to finish with 2 games that decide something. So in that sense, the playoffs start now for 4 teams.
Up first, IFA is a 6 point favorite over RS. I want to pick the Norse, but it appears IFA likes to sling the ball around, and pass defense has been an issue for the Norse this year. Will rain make a difference? 3 point win for IFA last year. Probably about the same, IFA will probably win, but with the points, take the Norse.
Saydel is a 12 point favorite over EM. Don't know much about Saydel, but I'm guessing they cover. Take the Eagles.
South Hardin at Union. Union has crashed harder than the 2002 ISU Cyclones. BC Moore says 17 point favorite over South Hardin. Bet the house! No way SH loses this game by 17.

Finally, the main event. There is no over/under line. That is what would be tough to pick. Probably about 60 points is where I would set that line. But as for the winner pick, ST is a 10 point favorite over AP. That is a lot of points. I just don't see that happening. I've got ST winning by a TD or less. But with the points, ya gotta take the Falcons.

Darius did play quite a bit last Friday after Clayton was injured, the ten snaps reference was prior to Claytons injury. He was 4 for 4 with a touchdown, but that was against East Marshall.

Anyone know if South Tama has a radio team covering this game? For some reason, neither KCQR nor KLMJ are covering the game in Parkersburg.

STC takes back momentum with an 85 yard kickoff return for a TD, 14-10 with 5:27 left in the half.

STC kicks a field goal to end the half, 17-10. STC starts the 2nd half with the ball. As Fritz said, hard to gain traction for both teams as the field is slippery.

2 FG's in a 2A game. Wow. Were those drives stalled inside the 15ish? When I played, we had a good kicker and everything was still 4-down territory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT