ADVERTISEMENT

Class A

Sep 3, 2023
Class A has been pretty quiet, as of late.

Some high pre-season ranked teams with 1 loss through week 2.

District play has started for most…who do we like so far?

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Lot of big games in Class A this week. Should find out who some legit contenders are and pretenders. Some 1st and 2nd place district finishes are probably up for grabs.

Lisbon 2-0 vs Columbus 1-1 (should decide district champ)
Maquoketa Valley 2-0 vs East Buc 1-1 (2-0 North Linn also in this district)
Woodbury Central 2-0 vs Logan Magnolia 2-0 (should decide district champ)
Madrid 2-0 vs Mt. Ayr 2-0 (2-0 Lynnville Sully also in this district)
Starmont 2-0 vs North Linn 2-0
Lynville Sully 2-0 vs Pleasantville 2-0
West Hancock 2-0 vs St. Ansgar 2-0 (should decide district champ)
Newman Catholic 1-1 vs Lake Mills 2-0

Some less notable games that may have playoff qualifying implications at the end of the year.
Panorama 1-1 vs ACGC 2-0
Earlham 1-1 vs IKM Manning 2-0
Riverside 1-1 vs South Central Calhoun 2-0
Southwest Valley 1-1 vs Grandview Christian 2-0
Pekin 2-0 vs Danville 1-1
Kingsley Pierson 1-1 vs Westwood 1-1
North Mahaska 1-1 vs Central Decatur 1-1
West Fork 1-1 vs North Butler 2-0

Thoughts? Predictions?

Last edited:
Lot of big games in Class A this week. Should find out who some legit contenders are and pretenders. Some 1st and 2nd place district finishes are probably up for grabs.

Newman Catholic 2-0 vs Lake Mills 2-0

Some less notable games that may have playoff qualifying implications at the end of the year.
Panorama 1-1 vs ACGC 2-0

Thoughts? Predictions?
Newman is 1-1 and their loss is to a team lake mills beat so guessing lake mills should roll. Also west fork and north butler has no factor whatsoever with playoffs since it’s a non district matchup.

SW/SC iowa seems like it has some potential. This is ACGC first year down in A, right? Their early season wins don't seem that great but I'd think they would do well in A.

I think you have a handful of some really good class A teams in eastern Iowa and with Grundy out of class A i think it is a class that could see multiple teams get on a roll and see the dome. Columbus Junct and East Buc who are high in almost every poll took week 1 loses to two really good higher class teams then came back last week and won easily. District 4 with North Linn, East Buc and Maq Valley are all ranked in top 10 so those 3 will knock each other off as the season moves on but all 3 teams will be tough outs in post season play no matter what district finish. I'm not sold on District 3 as Nashua is ranked but only beat a not so good North Tama team by 2 points last week in district play. I think them and Wapsie are the top 2 teams in that district but its not a tough district top to bottom. I think Columbus Junc rolls Lisbon this week but agree its those two teams for the title and Ru as the rest of the district not very good. ACGC is the sleeper coming down from 1A and they very well could be a dome team.

District 3 is interesting, I don't think their top would beat any other districts top, but I also think that their bottom would beat most other districts bottom if that makes sense.

District 3 is interesting, I don't think their top would beat any other districts top, but I also think that their bottom would beat most other districts bottom if that makes sense.
Yea it does make some sense, I don't think either NP or Wapsie would win any other district and in most they probably finish 3rd or 4th depending on witch district. Definitely not in top 2 of districts, 2,4,6,7 and 8 from my observation anyway. I dont know if there is that one absolute title wright in like Grundy was but obviously West Hamcock is making another statement. Huge game this week as they travel to a ranked St Ansger. just 1 of a few top ten matchups in class A this week.

Reactions: Zowwy21
Personally I think Wapsie wins the district, but North Butler is playing better than I anticipated and NP could make some noise. I'm not sure I have bought in to NP being ranked in the top 10, particularly after a close game with North Tama last week. Maybe North Tama is better than I give them credit for though. In any case, I don't think any of these teams make a deep playoff push.

Newman Catholic 1-1 vs Lake Mills 2-0

Panorama 1-1 vs ACGC 2-0

Thoughts? Predictions?
I know Columbus has Amigon, but Lisbon looks pretty balanced and has Speidel and has good line size. I'm going out on a limb and picking Lisbon.
East Buc over Maq Valley
North Linn over Starmont (who has come out of nowhere - first time in a while they are showing some sparks).
Lynnville-Sully over Pleasantville
West Hancock over Saint Ansgar, but will be a dog fight.
Lake Mills over Newman.

Pleasantville wil win handily. Pleasantville is fairly large and LS is small. Plus losing the all-state back who is good both ways and as a returner is going to hurt.

I know Columbus has Amigon, but Lisbon looks pretty balanced and has Speidel and has good line size. I'm going out on a limb and picking Lisbon.
East Buc over Maq Valley
North Linn over Starmont (who has come out of nowhere - first time in a while they are showing some sparks).
Lynnville-Sully over Pleasantville
West Hancock over Saint Ansgar, but will be a dog fight.
Lake Mills over Newman.
I wouldn't put a ton of money on Starmont, yes they are 2-0 but the the two wins are against two really poor teams in South Winn and Clayton Ridge, CR might be one of the bottom 3 or 4 teams in class A. I think NL rolls over Starmont by 30 or more. Three games really stand out to me this week, West Hancock vs St Ansger, Col Junct vs Lisbon and Maq Valley vs Est Buc, I think all the teams are ranked except Lisbon and they might be the next team receiving votes. BC Moore has WH plus 4, Lisbon plus 16 and Maq Valley plus 3 in their matchups. I don't think Lisbon is going to carry that spread if I was a betting person. I liked SA win over a ranked Osage team to start the year so I think they give WH a game but I think WH still wins by 2 scores. The MV vs East Buc game is the one I think is more of a tossup as looking at bound MV has a RB that has like 700 yds in 2 games, granted not against good competition but still impressive.

St. Ansgar handled west hancock relatively easily tonight. Winning 24-15. West hancock scored with 3 seconds left and converted the 2 point conversion to get to 15. St ansgar had 3 turnovers that kept west hancock in the game although west hancock also had one driving in the 4th down 10. Full game is on YouTube. I wasn't able to watch the whole thing as I was at work but it seemed west hancock had some penalties to extend some of st ansgars drives. One on a fake punt pass and a roughing the passer, which now as im rewatching looks questionable at best unless there is a rule about hitting the throwing arm after the ball is released, on 4th down inside the 20 that set up St ansgars final score. St ansgars defense was stout tonight. They also found a field goal kicker after struggling mightily with that at the start of the year. First points were on a field goal.

Last edited:
Madrid takes down Mt Ayr.
Riverside fumbles on the goal line vs SCC to tie the game up late in the forth and a go ahead PAT.
Lisbon with a solid win vs Columbus.
Some top 10 teams fall in week 3.

How does the top 10 shake out in everyone’s opinion now?

Games to look forward to in week 4?

Here would be my rankings

1. Saint Ansgar- Two most impressive wins for anyone is A
2. Woodbury Central- Seems to be a complete team that was in the semis last year
3. Lynnville Sully- Won't have their best player until the playoffs, but still seems like a force
4. West Hancock- Still very good, maybe they got a little complacent and this will wake them up?
5. North Linn- The last few years they have been so consistent
6. East Buc- I think by the end of the season that loss to SF won't matter much
7. Madrid- They have taken care of business, but I don't know exactly what to think of them
8. SCC- They have been impressive so far, maybe a little inconsistent though
9. Lisbon- They are probably going to win their district, but won't be very battle tested
10. Nashua Plainfield- A little inconsistent, the meat of their schedule looks to be ahead

Best games of the week (In order off of quikstats)

Columbus vs Pekin- Probably for a home playoff game
Lynnville Sully vs. Madrid- Madrid can all but win the district with a win
Mount Ayr vs Central Decatur- Probably two playoff teams
North Butler vs Wapsie- District 3 is confusing this is a game that could start to clear some stuff up
SCC vs AC/GC- Has a chance to be a district title game

Looks pretty accurate to me PNation, the only one I question is Nashua Plainfield, primarily because they squeaked by North Tama 22-20. I'd also swap Lisbon and Madrid.

Also, Hunter Bowers for East Buc was ejected last game (anyone have any details on this)? So he will be out next game. Not sure it will matter since they are facing Starmont next game. Cody Fox, Iowa commit, is still getting in game shape after recovering from an injury all offseason, so I look for them to get better throughout the year as he is a wrecking ball.

Looks pretty accurate to me PNation, the only one I question is Nashua Plainfield, primarily because they squeaked by North Tama 22-20. I'd also swap Lisbon and Madrid.

Also, Hunter Bowers for East Buc was ejected last game (anyone have any details on this)? So he will be out next game. Not sure it will matter since they are facing Starmont next game. Cody Fox, Iowa commit, is still getting in game shape after recovering from an injury all offseason, so I look for them to get better throughout the year as he is a wrecking ball.
I would replace Nashua with AC/GC as they should be in the top 10. Saint A on film still runs that same offense just doing it better this year than the past couple years. I had heard that East Buc / Maq Valley game was a physical dog fight but East Buc pretty much dominated the second half as MV was ranked like 8 or 9. I did not hear about anyone being ejected, I think a kid from MV was ejected week 1 for a cheap shot vs Cascade but I may be wrong.

I have talked to a few different players from different teams that have played Maq Valley, unfortunately, sounds like they are pretty dirty :-( Probably one of those cases where Bowers got caught retaliating. Although, I have heard numerous stories about him as well, so could go either way.

Predictions (looking at the current BCMoore spreads for the week) ...

East Buc -2 vs Starmont - East Buc covers spread by 3 scores
Madrid +8 vs Lynnville-Sully - LS covers spread by 2 scores
GC-AC +10 vs South Central Calhoun - SCC covers spread
Wapsie +2 vs North Butler - (Upset) WV by 2 scores
Pekin -10 vs Columbus - (Upset) Columbus by 2 scores
IKM -2 vs Riverside - IKM covers spread
South Winn +10 vs Mason City Newman - Newman covers spread

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I would replace Nashua with AC/GC as they should be in the top 10. Saint A on film still runs that same offense just doing it better this year than the past couple years. I had heard that East Buc / Maq Valley game was a physical dog fight but East Buc pretty much dominated the second half as MV was ranked like 8 or 9. I did not hear about anyone being ejected, I think a kid from MV was ejected week 1 for a cheap shot vs Cascade but I may be wrong.
St ansgar has been throwing the ball succesfully significantly more this year which keeps teams from packing the box to stop the run against them. This was paramount against west Hancock. The running game opened up because they had to respect the pass.

I will say with my rankings I am confident in 3 or 4 teams, then after that I think it is a toss up. Like I said Saint Ansgar has the most impressive resume so far, West Hancock still might be my pick to win the title even with a loss, Woodbury Central was there last year and returns most of the team, and Lynnville Sully I think has proven that they are more then just a player and they have built the program up to withstand a loss like that. After that I kind of go district by district to try to figure things out.

District 1, I don't see any top 10 teams here, I think MMC-RU might be the favorite?
District 2, Saint Ansgar and West Hancock are top 5 teams, Lake Mills is probably 3rd but to me are still unproven.
District 3, Wapsie was good last year, but graduated a lot, NP was decent last year against a hard schedule, they have an easier schedule this year, after that I think it is a toss up, North Tama might finish 3rd
District 4, East Buc and North Linn have been solid as of late, Maq Valley is just a step behind, 4th No Clue
District 5, I think the weakest district in the state, Lisbon might be really good but won't be battle tested, I think Columbus is ok but not a title contender, Pekin has been bad of late but maybe they are turning it around
District 6, L-S is proven in the past, Madrid and Mount Ayr appear solid but I am not 100% on them
District 7, SCC has been the most impressive so far with the win over SWV but then struggled vs Riverside, I think AC/GC is good, but a little concerned giving up 44 to Panorama
District 8, Woodbury Central appears to be very solid again and LoMa always tends to be solid.

LS will not cover spread let alone by 2 scores.
Honestly, I don't know these teams all that well. My prediction is based on the fact that LS beat Madrid last year 62 - 33 and really didn't lose a whole lot this year - other than now their stud running back, but that didn't seem to phase them against Pleasantville, which I believe you thought would "win handily". Curious, do you believe LS will win, just not cover, or do you think Madrid is better than them without Noun Harder?

Predictions (looking at the current BCMoore spreads for the week) ...

East Buc -2 vs Starmont - East Buc covers spread by 3 scores
Madrid +8 vs Lynnville-Sully - LS covers spread by 2 scores
GC-AC +10 vs South Central Calhoun - SCC covers spread
Wapsie +2 vs North Butler - (Upset) WV by 2 scores
Pekin -10 vs Columbus - (Upset) Columbus by 2 scores
IKM -2 vs Riverside - IKM covers spread
South Winn +10 vs Mason City Newman - Newman covers spread
East buc by 3 scores
Lynnville by a score
GCAC over SCC
Wapsie by a few scores
Columbus by few scores
South winn over Newman

Honestly, I don't know these teams all that well. My prediction is based on the fact that LS beat Madrid last year 62 - 33 and really didn't lose a whole lot this year - other than now their stud running back, but that didn't seem to phase them against Pleasantville, which I believe you thought would "win handily". Curious, do you believe LS will win, just not cover, or do you think Madrid is better than them without Noun Harder?
It is possible they will win. I gave too much credit to Pleasantville. LS lost 4 linemen, couple of d-backs and a couple of backers from last years team. I think GOPANTHERS23 is closer by saying it is within a score.

I've seen SW twice they will not beat Newman and this is a down year for Newman.
have you seen Newman?? Because looking at it, it should be a toss up between the two teams. I have seen south winn. They have a decent soph back replacing timp. Interesting note timp is listed as a ol now

have you seen Newman?? Because looking at it, it should be a toss up between the two teams. I have seen south winn. They have a decent soph back replacing timp. Interesting note timp is listed as a ol now
He was on the sideline the last 2 friday nights after doing well week 1, but maybe they feel the so rb will do the job and since they don't have a big line, maybe when he comes back he will be able to help them more on the line?

He was on the sideline the last 2 friday nights after doing well week 1, but maybe they feel the so rb will do the job and since they don't have a big line, maybe when he comes back he will be able to help them more on the line?
That would be my guess behind the thinking of moving him to the line.

Any info on the East Buc and Starmont game tonight??
Yes East Buc got totally dominated by starmont, yes they were missing a couple key players who were ejected last week but Starmont just owned them. I'm just not sure what to make of East Buc as they have been so up and down but to get beat by Starmont like they did means they have some serios question marks as they are giving up a ton of points even in their wins. This really throws district 4 in a toss up race as only NL is undefeated and they go to East Buc next week and still have Maq Vallley and Bellevue yet. It will be interesting as Bellevue, MV, NL and Starmont all have to play each other in the next 4 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT