ADVERTISEMENT

Class A teams moving to 8 man in 2018

In D-6 alone, Winfield-Mount Union only has 20 kids left on the roster that I've heard, so I'd assume they're in the running. Danville is with West Burlington this year, and I have no clue as if they plan to start their program back next year as 8 man. I have also heard whispers of Montezuma considering, although those are nothing more than whispers and it's very hard for me to believe. Small schools are suffering in Iowa, especially southeast Iowa it seems to me.

Football211 you do realize how dropping to 8 man works right? It's not about how many kids you have out or anything close to that. It's all about the PED number for boys in the school. I'm not sure what the breaker line was this year but I think it was around 120 give or take.

Looking at the peds Winfield mount union is way under at 109 and montezuma is at 117 so right around the line but I think under but Danville is 153 lol they r borderline 1a not even close to 8 man

Yes, I understand how it works. I put them on here for the sheer fact that they don't have a football team, and the only way for them to get one back would be going to 8-man.

Reactions: Ted 5454
I wish the state would look at this year by year, and include something about number of kids out and how many boys they have not just overall enrollment.

My other complaint with 8 man, is when an 8 man team has 35 kids out for football, they should be playing 11 man. That is enough for a varsity squad and a JV squad.

Football211 you do realize how dropping to 8 man works right? It's not about how many kids you have out or anything close to that. It's all about the PED number for boys in the school. I'm not sure what the breaker line was this year but I think it was around 120 give or take.
The most you can have is 115 Ped # . Seniors are not counted. Nebraska high school football Ped is at 82 for 8 player. How does GTRA be eligible for 8 player when they have 123 Ped ?

The 115 number is not a hard and fast rule. The school needs to be below that to get down to 8man initially, but once they start playing 8man, there are a couple exceptions that can keep them in 8man. I copied those below from the IAHSAA football manual.

also heard that the number might go up to 125 next cycle to allow some more A schools to drop into 8man as a way to avoid issues with forfeits. The next question would then become does IAHSAA dissolve class A at some point and go to just 5 classes (4a-3a-2a-1a-8man), ~64 teams again per class, 32 team playoff again??

"The enrollment cap to participate in 8-player football is the BEDS Document Certified Enrollment in grades 9-11 of 115 or less.

The following exceptions were recommended by the Football Play-Off Committee and approved by the IHSAA Board of

Control.

FIRST EXCEPTION: An 8-player football school whose current enrollment is 115 or less, and whose enrollment increases

above 115 following the 2015 season, will be allowed 8-player football status for an additional 2 years.

SECOND EXCEPTION: If an 8-player football school’s enrollment is greater than 115 and the BEDS Document Certified

Enrollment grades 9-11 (projection) verifies the 8-player football school will have an enrollment of 115 or less during the 2-year

period following redistricting, a school will be allowed to continue as an 8-player football school."

I completely agree.

The coaching staff has to recruit the kids in their school to play if they want a football program. If the kids don't like the coaches, then they won't get the kids out.

Then again, maybe it's a time of change for football in general as participation rates might be going declining.

I wish the state would look at this year by year, and include something about number of kids out and how many boys they have not just overall enrollment.

My other complaint with 8 man, is when an 8 man team has 35 kids out for football, they should be playing 11 man. That is enough for a varsity squad and a JV squad.

If class A football gets dissolved it will be a dam shame honestly. Won't be fair to the teams that are crazy small n have a pride factor not to play 8man (because let's all be real 8 man is a joke and not real football, also horrible to watch). If anything revisit the issue with 8 man schools who have massive numbers out and make them bump up to class A. Great example is don bosco

Its a tough question. Personally, I'd hope schools would seek to share programs , but that brings another slew of problems for a lot of schools. But I dont think I can say 8man isn't real football, its just a little different. I'm not a fan of (recent) Big12 football or arena football and 78-66 finals, but its still blocking and tackling, catching and running. Definitely agree that there are , however, several 8man schools (Bosco, Sidney, Tripoli, Newell-Fonda just looking at the top 10) that could be playing A based on BEDs# and / or roster size on quikstats.

With 55 schools currently in class A, how low of a number would the state allow the class to get before making a change?

Not football... Really tell that to Drew Ott, Nate Meyer, Nathan Bazata, Chad Greenway should I keep going... It's football... if you don't like it great don't watch. I'll keep watching it.

I won't watch lol never intend to watch but good for you that you. If they cut out class a to open up a wider number in 8 man will be terrible for the sport in the state of Iowa. If they think numbers are down now for players I think it will get worse in attendance if they widen 8 man football and eliminate class a. Make schools combine or come up with a better solution. Maybe I'm the only one that will say it but most people that are 11 man will not attend games if their former schools Drop to 8 man.

Got to disagree that 8 man FB is inadequate FB. CWL, before it dissolved, did great work with their way low numbers playing 8 man as did NE Hamilton. Besides the fact that football is football, those games I saw were OUTSTANDING, kind of Kurt Warner Arenaball fast & wide open.

A school like North Butler, who through no fault of their own (injuries/illness) had to forfeit games, would be well served by going to 8 man. Nebraska even has 6 man FB.

Reactions: Ted 5454
Got to disagree that 8 man FB is inadequate FB. CWL, before it dissolved, did great work with their way low numbers playing 8 man as did NE Hamilton. Besides the fact that football is football, those games I saw were OUTSTANDING, kind of Kurt Warner Arenaball fast & wide open.

A school like North Butler, who through no fault of their own (injuries/illness) had to forfeit games, would be well served by going to 8 man. Nebraska even has 6 man FB.
I could understand 7 on 7 but 6 on 6 is basically a step up from making it a true basketball on grass scenario. (Not that a lot of games aren't already there in 8 man.)

6 on 6 football is basically saying, "let's just give them something to do".........

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
I think they need to bring the 8-player beds cut off down to 90. If beds over than can play down but not be play-off eligible for the schools struggling with numbers. I think it would help both classes.

Some of the struggling 8 player teams and probably class A teams are struggling because they have Freshmen starting varsity, playing 2 games a week and quit after getting beat up by JR & SR for a couple year and quit going out, then the pattern repeats, start with 5-8 Freshmen down to 2-3 by the time they are seniors and it's often the not best athletes left.

Maybe some need to just do a JV season for a year, but if you declare this year you won't be in a district so out for 2 years so the system forces you to say you are going to field a varsity team even if you know you can't or shouldn't next year but may be able to the following.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
Currently 8-player has a beds range from under 50 to 115, 2.3x ratio. Class A currently has 110ish to 164, 1.5. Move that beds split down to 100 it would be 2x for 8 player, 1.64x for class A, 90 it would be 1.8x 8-player and, 1.82 for class A.

90 should be the number and class A like all other sport would have the most team playing in it.

8-player would still have somewhere around 50 teams that would be eligible for the playoffs, and quick glance I'd say a handful that I think would choose to play down.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
5A - xx (24)
4A - 48 (48)
3A - 56 (56)
2A - 56 (56)
1A - 56 (56)
A - 56 (xx)
8PA - 64 (48)
8PB - xx (48)

Same number of teams.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

I don't think that solution would keep class A viable but it may force some borderline 8 man teams to reenter 11 man. For most they will join with another school. That could potentially create some disparity in Class A if schools get moved up classes by school combining.
The participation numbers are what is troublesome. That is affecting all classes.

If you go with 5A model it can't be the top 24, Dowling wouldn't be part of it then.

I think for most schools would rather play 8 player than basically giving up football via sharing. How many kids actually go when a school starts sharing. One 8 player team that is 2 schools have another school district in the middle, it's 30 miles/40minutes HS to HS. I doubt they get many kids to make that trip 4 days a week for practice, summer for lifting, parents 2 nights a week for JV & V games.

Teams that have been in 8-player over the new BEDS limit can choose to play where they fit best. If they think they have the ability to win state they just have to play where there BEDS puts them.

Some of the top 8 player teams are still below 90, at least 3 of the still undefeated class A teams could be playing 8-player at the 115 beds. Both classes are still going to have some lopsided scores.

But I think it would help the struggling 8 player teams stay alive by have more evenly matched games by keeping teams out of 8 player than have no business being there. More evenly matched games means closer games even if only a 1-2 wins per year and 2-3 close games I think would help with participation levels and reduce injuries.

And keeps A alive by keeping team in that should be there.

If schools share the BEDS are added together so most likely will move up a class. Because of that some schools won't have anybody that will take the few player that will travel if it bumps them a class.

Last edited:
I've heard that Clarksville and North Butler will be sharing football, which might push them to 1A.

Wayne(8) looks to be at 126 BEDS next year and over for the foreseeable future.

Montezuma(A) could come down and be under 115 for 6 years anyway.

North Mahaska(A) could be under for next 4 years.

Winfield-MU(a) looks like they are under for a long time.

Midland(8) looks to be 124 next year, another thread says the Union is going to make the it a hard number of 120 if so they would have to move up for 2 years.

Griswold(a) looks like they are under for a long time.

SE Warren(a) is under for 6 years.

Edgewood+-Colesburg(a) & New London(a), under for 2 years, then over, then back under. (current rules they could stay down for 6)

Sidney (8) 138 beds this year, back under in 2.

Akron-Westfield(a) is between 115-120 next 2 cycles then back over.

Rockford(a) is under 115 and for the future.

Last edited:
Wayne(8) looks to be at 126 BEDS next year and over for the foreseeable future.

Montezuma(A) could come down and be under 115 for 6 years anyway.

North Mahaska(A) could be under for next 4 years.

Winfield-MU(a) looks like they are under for a long time.

Midland(8) looks to be 124 next year, another thread says the Union is going to make the it a hard number of 120 if so they would have to move up for 2 years.

Griswold(a) looks like they are under for a long time.

SE Warren(a) is under for 6 years.

Edgewood+-Colesburg(a) & New London(a), under for 2 years, then over, then back under.

Sidney (8) 138 beds this year, back under in 2.

Rockford(a) is under 115 and for all the future.

Not sure how the state could make it a hard number. So the state would penalize Midland for being at 124 next year, but the following year they are back down to 113? I can't envision the state having a two year cycle and a hard number. The difference between 113 and 124 is one big class.

What would happen if it were reversed? What if Midland had 113 next year and 124 the following year? It just doesn't make sense to change fields back and forth if the school will be 8 man for the foreseeable future. Whether it is 115 or 120, these teams for the most part will have a hard time fielding an 11 man team.

Midland has 40 on their roster I think they can field a 11 player roster. They can always play down and be ineligible for the playoffs.

1 student made the difference between a and 1a, 1a and 2a last time, 2 students for 2a-3a..

My son is a senior at Gehlen we’re we sit at 95. Last years senior class had 7 students 2 boys until Granville closed at some kids moved. Different for everyone but a reporter asked our Ad when districts came out why don’t you play 8 man. His reply was that it was never discussed. You take your lumps and dish out a few when you can.Two seasons without a win. Now we enjoy this one .may not be right for every school but I bet you see us back next year hopefully winning our share.

Reactions: warriors dad
Gehlen Catholic Lemar(a 7-2), 111 beds this year, no future info for these three.

Newman Catholic, Mason City (a 5-4) 108

Bishop Garrigan, Algona (a 9-0) 107.

I think the BEDS number should be moved down to balance the number of teams in A and 8-player.

Find the medium size and it be a hard number. As of August 23 2017 I think it would be about 109. Equal schools above and equal schools below.

Last edited:
Part of me wishes that the state went with a male only count for football. Some schools may have a BEDS of 140 but only 60 boys while another might be at 110 with 70 boys.

My son is a senior at Gehlen we’re we sit at 95. Last years senior class had 7 students 2 boys until Granville closed at some kids moved. Different for everyone but a reporter asked our Ad when districts came out why don’t you play 8 man. His reply was that it was never discussed. You take your lumps and dish out a few when you can.Two seasons without a win. Now we enjoy this one .may not be right for every school but I bet you see us back next year hopefully winning our share.
I disagree, the main reason is Gehlen uses LeMars Community Field. it wouldn't be easy to get the field ready for 8 player. Gehlen would have to convert there practice field into a 8 man playing field. Big expense! The other reason is pride. The alumni played 11 not 8. As far as next year I don't see it for what they have coming back.

IMO anyone who cant field both a JV and Varsity safely, should look to combine or drop to 8 man. Not only is it not safe to plug holes on a varsity roster with Fr. Its also not very beneficial for the program in the long run.

Also agree that they need to look at male bed numbers. In smaller towns there can be a big difference in M/F numbers from grade to grade

You are absolutely right on the money football bob. Those are our reasons I was not trying to imply something else . Everybody probably has there own. Hope they have a good solution. You guys seem to have a lot of good ideas.

Part of me wishes that the state went with a male only count for football. Some schools may have a BEDS of 140 but only 60 boys while another might be at 110 with 70 boys.
This would be the way to go about it, but the "problem" with that is football is an open sport. Girls can play on a varsity team, as well, though it is a very, very rare instance. I did see a team with a girl on it this year.

They can't just count boys, while allowing girls to play.

Any opinions of schools that start sharing allowed a higher BEDS than non-sharing schools. MN uses total enrollment, they bump 9 player from 150 to 200 for sharing schools. (112 to 150 BEDS).

Might help small schools looking to share be able to share with the closest school. I have my doubts about how many kids would actually go 20-30 miles each way.

Any opinions of schools that start sharing allowed a higher BEDS than non-sharing schools. MN uses total enrollment, they bump 9 player from 150 to 200 for sharing schools. (112 to 150 BEDS).

Might help small schools looking to share be able to share with the closest school. I have my doubts about how many kids would actually go 20-30 miles each way.
The Minnesota system sounds like a good one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT