ADVERTISEMENT

Changes Announced for 2018

For Immediate Release-- October 25, 2017

Boone, IA --The Iowa High School Athletic Association’s Board of Control voted to approve recommendations to adjust classification sizes for the 2018 and 2019 football seasons at Wednesday’s monthly meeting in Boone.

Using recommendations made by the IHSAA’s Classification Committee last month, the Board unanimously agreed to decrease the current number of schools in Classes 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A, and raise the enrollment cap for 8-Player programs.

“The classification committee comes in every other year and encompasses superintendents, principals and athletic directors from public and non-public schools along with schools with broad ranging enrollments. Their thoughtfulness and careful examination of the landscape of football in the state of Iowa lead to these recommendations,” said Todd Tharp, assistant director and football administrator for the IHSAA.

The changes will be implemented during the 2018-19 redistricting cycle. Based on six priorities established by the Classification Committee, class sizes are as follows: the top 42 schools according to the 2017-18 BEDS document will be in 4A, the next 54 schools in 3A, the next 54 schools in 2A, the next 54 schools in 1A, and the remainder of 11-player schools in A.

In the 2016-17 cycle, 4A had 48 schools and the planned sizes of 3A, 2A, and 1A included 56 schools.

The enrollment cap for schools to participate in 8-Player has been raised from 115 to 120 students, per the 2017-18 BEDS listing. There is still no minimum enrollment requirement for 11-player football.

These recommendations were made and approved with six priorities in mind, meant to benefit IHSAA football classifications for the next two years and in the future.

1. Improve competitive balance. The potential for more non-district games allows schools to schedule similarly competitive opponents.

2. Revitalize rivalry games.
An opportunity to play more non-class and non-district games means traditional rivalries between schools and communities may stay on the schedule.

3. Reduce non-district travel. Close proximity can increase attendance for home teams and limit travel expenses for road teams and their fans.

4. Potentially increase participation at all levels. More selective schedules may help slow the flow of underclassmen taking the field early in district contests, which can offer a safety and motivational benefit.

5. Trim enrollment gap in Class 4A. Addresses the trend of the state’s largest schools continuing to grow at faster rates than other districts.

6. Maintain six classes for at least two more years.
Changes were made to the classification structure, but five 11-player classes and one 8-player class will exist for another redistricting cycle.

The Board of Control agreed with the Classification Committee’s assessment that these adjustments would allow the IHSAA and their member schools to address their priorities before planning the next two football seasons, while also monitoring movement and interest at the A and 8-Player levels.

“These changes in classifications will allow schools to continue to evaluate their respective football programs and try and define what needs best fit their program,” Tharp said. “For some programs, the aspect of potentially playing more non-district opponents may lead to creating a more balanced schedule for them, potentially increasing student participation as schools, while others may attempt to challenge themselves with more competitive non-district games.”

The determination of districts per class and postseason qualifying methodology was not made by the Board or the Committee. The decision will be made in conjunction with the Iowa Football Coaches Association executive board, the Iowa High School Athletic Directors Association, and the IHSAA, with final recommendations coming from the football advisory committee after district football meetings are held.

“There will be opportunities to evaluate the number of districts and teams in a district,” Tharp said. “Obviously, with 54 teams in Classes 3A, 2A, and 1A, six-team districts will provide for a re-evaluation of the qualifying system and looking at other analytics to determine the qualification system.”

Also affected by the change to the 8-Player enrollment cap: Exceptions for schools attempting to classify for 8-Player football. The Board previously approved two exceptions for schools whose enrollments rose above 115 through the BEDS document. Only Exception No. 1 was kept through voting Wednesday, with the Classification Committee recommending its retention due to the cost of configuring football fields for the 8-Player game.

The first exception, as written: “An 8-Player football school whose current enrollment is 115 or less, and whose enrollment increases above 115 following the 2017 season, will be allowed 8-Player football status for an additional 2 years.”

---
Football’s postseason begins Friday, October 27, at 48 sites across the state of Iowa. Games in all six classifications are scheduled to kickoff at 7 p.m.

Four first round games can be viewed on the NFHS Network with an all-access viewing pass available for $9.99 per month. The games are: Lewis Central at Valley, West Des Moines; Cedar Falls vs. Prairie, Cedar Rapids at Wartburg College; Webster City at Pella; and Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton.

The Iowa High School Sports Network provides viewing opportunities of IHSAA championship events through NBC Sports Chicago, formerly known as Comcast SportsNet. IHSSN is now offering expanded options for semifinal and championship football games on multiple platforms, including: Sling TV (through a Sling Blue subscription), FuboTV, Playstation Vue, and Hulu, as well as its returning packages through DirecTV and DISH Network, and local cable subscribers around the state. Visit IHSSN.com for to select your best viewing options.

CONTACTS: IHSAA Assistant director Todd Tharp, ttharp@iahsaa.org; IHSAA Communications Director Chris Cuellar, ccuellar@iahsaa.org; IHSAA office: 515-432-2011.

Holy Toledo!!

5 district games and 4 non-district games. Rivalries abound. So you could theoretically be 4-5 and be a playoff team.

guessing districts of 6 = 9 district champs and 7 wildcards (let the arguing begin about 2nd place could miss playoffs

Wowza... 9 districts of 6 teams meaning only 5 district games. That's definitely going to make your district games count that much more, especially if you don't win your district.

guessing districts of 6 = 9 district champs and 7 wildcards (let the arguing begin about 2nd place could miss playoffs

This is an interesting point - what do you do with runner-ups? Are the 9 runner-ups the only pool of teams the 7 "wildcard" picks are chosen from? Or do you get the next best 7 teams after the champs are in, regardless of district record? Very interesting situation to watch unfold this winter.

Playoff format will be changed..... I am guessing district champs are in (Receive Byes) and 2nd/3rd place teams have play in games.

My prediction. 6 districts of 9. One non district game. Champion and runner up and 4 wildcards. District travel could get really ugly here.

My prediction. 6 districts of 9. One non district game. Champion and runner up and 4 wildcards. District travel could get really ugly here.

Did you not read the release? It talked specifically about more opportunities for renewing rivalry games and reduced travel. 3A-1A will be nine districts of six.

I think we will see 8 Districts. ( 6 districts will have 7 teams, 2 districts 6 teams). Like I said before #1 in automatically, #2 and #3 from each district will play a play in game. Some teams will have 6 district games, some will have 5.

The state could go away with one week of regular season, but I doubt it.

The format above would give teams less district games (hint more non district games and more renewed rivalries as they suggested).

24 teams would then make the playoffs; expanded play-off form which the state and many schools want to have done. Without making the #1 seeds (your more than likely dome teams) play the extra game and have that wear and tear on the athletes that are probably making it to the 13/14 game of season.

Did you not read the release? It talked specifically about more opportunities for renewing rivalry games and reduced travel. 3A-1A will be nine districts of six.

They said the same thing in 1992 when the state discontinued conference play in the smaller classes.

How's that worked out for everyone?

If the state would expand the playoffs, that would take the finals to the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend, unless they started the season a week earlier.

I know that other states play that weekend.

You just quoted 1992 and you call your self a freshman. You must be on the 30 year plan. Go to bed old man.

a) My dad and uncle coached in 1992, fella. That was the explanation the IHSAA gave to school districts as to why conference play was discontinued.

b) The 'freshman' is a label given by the amount of messages/responses you have posted (notice that PNation is labelled VARSITY). Keep up the good work Detective Holmes.

I like the sounds of bringing back more rivalry games. WBB, does this mean that we may see WB/Regina back in the books if they are not in the same district? CID, do you think Regina keeps their games with Xavier and Solon?

Does anyone know of teams that may be moving classes and will be part of 1A the next two years with the changes that the state made

Does anyone know of teams that may be moving classes and will be part of 1A the next two years with the changes that the state made
Bottom 10 of 2a in 2017-18 beds count. Some possible teams,South central calhoun, East sac, Clarinda,Underwood are all in bottom 10 now Just from2A d-7. Ap. Parkinsburg,East marshall are others.

I like the sounds of bringing back more rivalry games. WBB, does this mean that we may see WB/Regina back in the books if they are not in the same district? CID, do you think Regina keeps their games with Xavier and Solon?

If I am WB and Regina, I make sure we play in the non-district schedule if not in the same district.
a) It's a good rivalry
b) The gate would be wonderful

Reactions: Bluejay89
Cascade and Beckman will be in 1A
Western Christian and Pella Christian may jump up to 2A
Tipton will jump to 2A
For a school to go up a class this year they would have to jump 8 additional schools because of fewer team's in each class. Not saying it is not possible, just questioning.

For a school to go up a class this year they would have to jump 8 additional schools because of fewer team's in each class. Not saying it is not possible, just questioning.

I know that Tipton and Pella Christian willl both have a class of students 90+ students that will be included in their 3-year count. Meaning they will need around 120 students combined in the other 2 classes to be assured of jumping up.

Seem more possible now? :)

I don't know about Pella Christian, but I do know that Tipton's BEDS number will be around 260 next year, they have some big classes coming through.

I agree 100%. People can only speculate why it hasn't been going on currently.

Oh let it be heard, oh let it be SEE'd

CID and WBBF have finally agreed.
1yketm

There will be quite a bit of movement up and down with the new changes. I believe the following schools have a very good chance at switching classes. I assume the top of class 1A will be around the 210-215 mark with the changes and the top of A will be around the 155 mark.

**Using state enrollment numbers from 16-17**

Up to 1A
West Sioux 181
Hudson 162
Pekin 161
North Linn 167
Colfax Mingo 175

Down to A
South Winn 118 (wow?)
IKM 147
LOMA 154
Belmond Klemme 153
Central Decatur 136
BCLUW 135

Up to 2A
Tipton 233
OABCIG 228
Clayton Ridge 235
Okoboji 216

Down to 1A
South Central Calhoun 203
AP 193
DNH 195
Pocahontas Area 180
Mediapolis 189
East Marshall 172
Underwood 205

It is hard to know for sure who is moving until the new BEDS come out and all consolidations/team sharing is finalized but these teams will be close to moving up or down.

South Winn will be bigger then that, they draw kids into high school from a catholic school that only goes through 8th grade.

Clayton Ridge won't be that high, their number also includes online students that they have for other schools that they get paid for, but do not include in their sports numbers. There have been years were their official numbers from the state would make them a 3A school.

Also AP, DNH, EM, and Mediapolis are schools that draw open enrollments so their number could be higher.

South Winn will be bigger then that, they draw kids into high school from a catholic school that only goes through 8th grade.

Clayton Ridge won't be that high, their number also includes online students that they have for other schools that they get paid for, but do not include in their sports numbers. There have been years were their official numbers from the state would make them a 3A school.

Also AP, DNH, EM, and Mediapolis are schools that draw open enrollments so their number could be higher.
Mediapolis was 187 this year. They no longer have a sharing agreement with Morning Sun so any kids who want to go there from MS must open enroll and bus transportation into MS no longer happens. This could keep their enrollment down some, although more and more want out of Burlington.

A will grow by 12, but loose 1-6 to 8 player, I think the cut off will be closer to 165.

Moving down I think will be Tri-Center, Durant, Lake Mills, Logan-Magnolia, Maquoketa Valley, Hinton, IKM-Manning, BCLUW, Central Decatur, MFL MarMac, Belmont-Klemme, and South Winn.

I highly doubt those are all correct.

Not sure if I understand that one. Haven't seen them play. Would be surprised if they make noise in any class next year. Won 4 games--those 4 teams won a combined 7 games! They look like they return their QB, top RB, and one WR. Lose 10 seniors out of 39 players. Does not necessarily look like a formula for success, especially without any tradition to build upon. I'm not holding my breath. If they do turn out to be good, I will eat crow on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: denverhawkfan
Durant almost beat West Branch so he thinks they are good. That's how deep that analysis went.

I used the DOE 16-17 certified enrollment numbers which would the 8th, 9th, and10th. If South Winn is drawing kids from a catholic school after 8th grade only one of the three numbers would be affected. I doubt it would be enough to keep them in 1A if those numbers are accurate.

I put the A cap at 155 as a safe number. I would guess it will be closer to 162-165. There are many teams that fall in the 155-165 range, so it will be interesting who stays and goes.

I was unaware the Clayton Ridge situation. Interesting.

Its hard to envision AP/DNH/EM/Mediapolis getting enough open enrolled students to keep them in 2A. Would need around 20 I would guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT