ADVERTISEMENT

Best coaches:

I believe it would be hard not to mention Nathan Miller at Washington.He won a state championship at IMS before building the Washington program up.
It really seems like they reload every year with a very soild team.

Brett Hoyer - CR Kennedy Win Loss
Gene Schulz Kee High, Lansing 1675 353
Dennis Olenjniczak Decorah 1267 472
FDSE's coach
Jim Murphy Dav. Assumption/Kissimmee, Fl. 1004 468

These guys always seem to have teams in the post season.
This post was edited on 2/21 9:33 AM by meandmyshadow

Mike Long of Perry needs to be mentioned-over 630 wins in his career with 4 state runner up teams. Will have another strong team this year that will compete for a RRC title.

Gene Schultz actually sits on 1,699 wins right now. Either way I think he's at the top of the list in terms of success and consistency

Right now the best coach in the state is Dowling Catholic's Tom O' Neill.

O' Neill has won state titles at both Dowling Catholic and before that Sioux City Heelan. His Maroons are always a Top 5 team in Class 4-A and they had the misfortune of missing the state tournament a couple of his first seasons at Dowling Catholic even though the Maroons finished the season ranked No. 2 because they were placed in the same substates as eventual Class 4-A state champions W.D.M. Valley and Urbandale in consecutive years.

I don't know much about O' Neill but I wonder how much Dowlings success is his or Jim Hallmans, who happens to be a collegiate head coach.

Well word has it Schultz is throwing the first pitch at the Twins game at the end of the month.. Not sure how many other coaches in Iowa can say they've had that opportunity

Originally posted by OHS4life:
Well word has it Schultz is throwing the first pitch at the Twins game at the end of the month.. Not sure how many other coaches in Iowa can say they've had that opportunity
So has this guy and I wouldn't exactly label him a successful high school baseball coach.

50289381_c8beb5fbbf.jpg

Ha. Rough to compare someone who has accomplished a lot in their area of specialty to someone who didn't.

Originally posted by OHS4life:
Ha. Rough to compare someone who has accomplished a lot in their area of specialty to someone who didn't.
I tend to disagree.
wink.r191677.gif

President-George-W.-Bush-Mission-Accomplished.jpg

For the guy who mentioned Dehmer, he actually resigned after last season. I believe his reasoning was that he wanted to spend more time with his family. He was pretty much baseball all the time, with (obviously) Martensdale, Perfect Game, and coaching clinics all year round. Not sure who Martensdale found to replace him, although Steve Westphal has been a volunteer assistant for the past few years. If that's who takes over, that machine will keep on rolling in 1A.

But Schultz has to be at the top. Dude's got more wins than any HS coach in America, and Kee is always at or near the top in 1A. Eight state titles, plus seven 2nd place finishes. That's damn impressive, regardless of class.

Martensdale new coach is Fitzpatrick I believe Van Meters old coach?? Also Schultz great coach but you realize they've been playing 5 inning double headers there for so many years. No rule change this year those games have to be 7 innings. So 40 games they add 2 innings every game that's an extra 80 innings roughly they have to find pitching for. I agree though his win total is spectacular just going to be interesting year how new rule comes into play for them. Whoever takes over Martensdale has some work. They lost 8 starters from last year and I understand their JV was really good as well. I just don't see them repeating this year.

They'd be hard-pressed to repeat again, I agree. But the JV was very good (I coached in their conference for the last two years), and they also return Kraber on the mound, who will likely be one of the state's best pitchers this year. They definitely lost a lot of talent, but they appear to be at the point now where they can continue to reload.

Originally posted by hawkeyepower100:
Martensdale new coach is Fitzpatrick I believe Van Meters old coach?? Also Schultz great coach but you realize they've been playing 5 inning double headers there for so many years. No rule change this year those games have to be 7 innings. So 40 games they add 2 innings every game that's an extra 80 innings roughly they have to find pitching for. I agree though his win total is spectacular just going to be interesting year how new rule comes into play for them. Whoever takes over Martensdale has some work. They lost 8 starters from last year and I understand their JV was really good as well. I just don't see them repeating this year.
Interested in hearing about this 5-inning doubleheaders mambo-jumbo...

Ever since I knew they have played 7-inning doubleheaders... In fact I recall my senior year(2006-2007) playing Kee in 2 thrilling 7-inning games in a doubleheader... We won 9-7 and they won 13-11.

The UIC has MFL, Postville, Sumner, Turkey Valley, and Kee with State Titles multiple runner up finishes including Fredericksburg, Kee, Sumner. Then schools like North Fayette have made multiple trips to state without the Top 3 results. I don't know when they ever pitched 5-inning doubleheaders, it hasn't seemed to hurt the conference.

13 State Titles from 3A-1A
9 Runner Ups

Also, Jake Greco of North Fayette passed another former UIC player in Andy Beck of Kee High last year for most hits in a career in state history.

I thought I heard they were playin double header 5 inning games maybe it was someone else. Obviously it won't hurt them once they get to state but it does help them in the regular season to save on pitching. I could be wrong but I thought for the longest time they played 5 inning double headers.

Let's just have fun and say all 1,699 wins were in 5 inning games-we know they weren't, but just play along. Wouldn't the opponent be playing 5 inning games too? So, no advantage either way, they are both playing by the same rule. 1,699 is impressive as hell, the guy is an unbelievable coach, appreciate it for what it is. I have never met him, played against him, coached against him or even seen a Kee game live. I have no opinion either way. FACT is 1,699 wins- the most in national history - is an accomplishment that every coach in Iowa can't even imagine.

The only time I've watched them play 5 inning games in a doubleheader is when they 10-run ruled the other team both games? Otherwise I don't know where you're getting that information from.

Originally posted by Jako18:
Let's just have fun and say all 1,699 wins were in 5 inning games-we know they weren't, but just play along. Wouldn't the opponent be playing 5 inning games too? So, no advantage either way, they are both playing by the same rule. 1,699 is impressive as hell, the guy is an unbelievable coach, appreciate it for what it is. I have never met him, played against him, coached against him or even seen a Kee game live. I have no opinion either way. FACT is 1,699 wins- the most in national history - is an accomplishment that every coach in Iowa can't even imagine.
Not saying the advantage is in the game they are playing the double header but over the season. Never have I said 1700 wins isn't impressive because obviously it is. It's number 1 in the nation. What conference does double header 5 inning games? Anyone know...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT