ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone want to talk baseball????

Not really much new to speak of.

I've heard rumors that Lawton's JV coach was awarded the Varsity job. I don't know how many applied for it and I don't know if it is confirmed or not.

Did they even post the job opening?? I have been looking since the previous coach resigned, but I have never seen any job openings.

Confirmed by their AD, they did hire the assistant coach as the new head coach, and are looking for a new assistant baseball coach.

Not that I know of. Heard he just stepped down due to travel and what not. Not really sure

EHS 1505: Seem like you have access to good information on that side of the state....How will Sioux City East be this upcoming season with the departure of Dom Thompson-Williams, Trey Lapke, Franko, etc ? Lapke was one of the best catchers in the state......do they have someone ready to fill his position?

This post was edited on 12/12 8:58 AM by IAHawkeyeBaseball

It will definitely be tough to replace those 6 seniors. They all contributed in various ways and will be missed this coming season I think.

East's JV had some talented OFs in the few games I saw them play and there are rumors of a transfer from Arkansas that played OF for his HS.

JJ Stephens played multiple games at 3B whenever Westphal pitched, so I would imagine he'd be the next man in there.

Dakota Blatchford caught Lapke everytime Lapke closed a game, I would imagine he'd be the next in. Very short, but very thick kid, did a nice job catching Trey and made a big play in the Clinton game in Des Moines on that throw from Dom to get the runner trying to score.

4 of the 6 seniors had innings on the mound, but Stephens and Lapierre could easily eat up more innings to make up for most of the ones lost due to graduation.

Having an actual "closer" is rare for HS. I don't know if they will try and find someone to replace Lapke or come up with a different "end-game" strategy until another closer emerges.

Should still have a decent season next year. They'll have to win more games in a 1-0, 4-2 type fashion instead of just the "score more" philosophy, but they've been able to pull it all together again after graduating large classes before. Hope they can do so again.
This post was edited on 12/13 12:55 PM by EHS1505

We play baseball in the summer... It's the middle of winter. Won't be much traffic until about April/May and then sporadically throughout the summer. Baseball isn't dying, it's just in hibernation. ;-)

Most kids play multiple sports. They usually aren't going to be talking about baseball when they're focused on football, basketball and wrestling.

Im talking about the last 2 years or so. You should have seen this forum 7 or 8 years ago...

There's no doubt traffic on this site is down in general. Outlet and information sources have changed dramatically in that time. Twitter moreso than any other SM app... It's too bad too... IowaPreps came out when I was first in High School and it was something I, along with a ton of other kids, strived to be on. Luke does a great job putting all of this information together with little to no help...

A lot of the traffic on the baseball forum was from the CB area... 5-6 parents that had taken a large stake in their kids and were frequenters of this site have since moved on with their kids graduating and moving onto college. Their programs have also taken a bit of a downswing in that time frame, so there is less to get on and talk about..

No one really replaced those people... at least not in the same volume they posted.

Originally posted by IronFist:
Im talking about the last 2 years or so. You should have seen this forum 7 or 8 years ago...
Believe me, I know it's down from a few years ago, too. This place was buzzing when I was in high school.

With the college season now underway, does anyone know what the early thoughts are from the Iowa players with Heller at the helm for the Hawks? I know they went 2-1 this past weekend at Austing Peay. I think they are ~17 Iowa natives on the roster, I'm anxious to see the team be successful with Iowa players leading the way.

Does anyone have any insights while we're waiting for the high school season to launch?

SC North should be a tough team on the west side again. The game last year against East to go to state was a classic. North will have 3 lefties on the mound throwing in the mid 80s (all juniors). I expect North and Heelan to be the top dogs in the MRAC this year with the departure of those 6 seniors from East. Gonna be tough to replace Dom and Lapke. Should be an interesting year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT