ADVERTISEMENT

Algona...

MitchL

Varsity
Oct 31, 2005
Yikes!!! What has happened to this program. I know they've struggled for the last few decades, but per the Globe Gazette... they got torched recently in some duals. With all due respect, Central Springs, Belmond/Klemme, and North Butler aren't exactly wrestling powerhouses.

Even with a few forfeits, there's no way they should be getting spanked that bad.

First of all Central Springs and North Butler are very good this year. Second of all, Algona only has three wrestlers any good period ... Strohman, Teague (VERY GOOD) and Holmes (unfortunately in a tough District for Hwts). No depth or experience beyond those three wrestlers. It will be uglier next year. I have a hard time also understanding why there is so little depth in their room ... not like the Champ Martin days. Go Hawks!!!

Maybe someone with local input knows why this program has fallen on such tough times. Over the years... many, many smaller schools have struggled, but the overriding reason was drastic enrollment declines and the loss of good coaches who either retired or simply didn't want to deal with obnoxious parents.

Schools like Eagle Grove, Riceville, and West Hancock(Britt) come to mind. I'm sure there are dozens of others.

Without knowing, I wouldn't think enrollment is an issue. Most good high school programs have a good kids' program. Those don't just disappear. I also realize you can have short term lulls where there just aren't high quality kids in the pipeline. But this big lack of success at Algona seems puzzling to an outsider like myself.

There used to be a poster on this site(think his handle was Buffy88?) that was from Algona. Big Clone fan IIRC. He/she might know the story.

One of the challenges I see as participation declines is some of the games that coaches without full lineups are employing. Watching coaches steer around actual matches to get their forfeits in is bad for the sport. If you think practicing for a week, seeing that you should have a match only to have it avoided by coaches makes me think the work isn't worth it. The top wrestlers are going out no matter what, the sport needs people to fill out the lineups and make it interesting for the younger kids, the fans etc. I understand grades, not making weight, illness causes some of these teams to not have everyone available but the dodging of matches needs to be minimized........hooray I get to work for 2 hours a day just to get my hand raised so the next person on the other team can get their hand raised. Wrestle the damn match. If you lose, work harder, get better. I watch my oldest son go 4 and 23 wrestling varsity at 220 as a Freshman, take his beatings, keep practicing, be 15-0 as a senior, blow an LCL at Christmas, rehab, come back for sectionals as his first match and qualify for state. Did he internalize those beatings he took as a freshman and use it as motivation? You bet, what would he learn by just getting his hand raised as a forfeit? None.

To piggyback a little on your thoughts, and a likely unpopular opinion, there are just too many weight classes in today's high school format. When you have schools like Algona and Osage, and likely a few other 2a schools that can't fill out an entire lineups... there is a glaring problem. These are two programs that have rich traditions and even they can't field complete rosters. No wonder so many 1a teams have voids.

The level of competition has also greatly declined as you have kids wrestling varsity that have absolutely no business being where they are. Scores like 46-30 and 42-33 are clear indication of this. There are many varied opinions why we have gotten to this point. We've all heard the various reasons why participation has declined. And it will get much worse going forward, I'm afraid.

Wrestling is a sport heading for death. There will always be exceptions, but I don't believe we ever see the glory days of the 60s and 70s. Iowa's population trends just won't allow it.

We need to enjoy what we still have.

Injuries have been REAL tough on the Fearsome Eagle Beasts this season.
blackeye.r191677.gif

With that said, good luck to The Beasts' 170, Hunter Hagen, today at Districts!

We have a good nucleus of returnees next year - like always, I am Optimistic!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Central Springs was back to back conference champs in 2014 and 2015. North Butler beat them in a head to head dual, but CS beat them in the conference tourny where it mattered. I would say both of those losses were very respectable with tough kids up and down the line up. The fact of the matter is, you can never count on being good every season. Kids come and go with sicknesses, injuries, and transfers. If 2 of your better kids get injured, that is a 24 point swing every dual. Its tough to come back from injuries in this physical sport. It seems like kids are not as mentally or physically tough as they used to be. I see more and more state qualifiers from previous years not go out our quit the following year. Schools, 1a in general, are sturggling all around the state. Very rarely will you find a 1a team with a full lineup, and if you do, you can almost bet that they wrestled in regional duals or state duals. Any thoughts?

I agree with EVERYTHING you've said in regards to the 1A schools.

My original post was regarding Algona... a long history of strong wrestling. But 2A schools like them shouldn't have those issues. I'm sure there is more beneath the surface as to why they've fallen so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT