ADVERTISEMENT

3A State 2013

vikesfan13147

Freshman
Sep 21, 2012
Here are the Class 3A state tournament matchups:

#1 Sioux City Bishop Heelan (34-4) vs #8 Williamsburg (20-18)

7/30 at 2:00

#4 Boone (23-10) vs #5 Davenport Assumption (24-15)

7/30 at 12:00

#2 Harlan (28-7) vs #7 Dallas Center-Grimes (21-13)

7/30 at 8:00

#3 Chariton (35-5) vs #6 Clear Lake (35-3)

7/30 at 6:00

Thoughts and predictions???

Could Heelan be the first team ever to lose a state-qualifying game and still go on to win state?

I wouldn't be surprised if in the history of Iowa high school baseball teams have been forced to forfeit in postseason play before, but this is certainly an unusual circumstance.

I can't figure out how Clear Lake gets the #6 seed - they were ranked 2nd or 3rd pretty late in the season and they didn't lose any games towards the end of the season. Don't know a lot about their season, but it is something that makes you go hmmmm! In the end that high of a seed might be a blessing for them - guess we'll see next week.

Seeds are based on the same pt system used for seeding at districts. I haven't looked at every team's schedule, but I would imagine the teams seeded higher had more wins over 3A and 4A schools than CL. The best team will most likely win the tournament no matter what the seed.

Jako - thanks for refreshing my memory - you are correct about the points. I also agree that the team that is playing the best will win regardless of records.

Originally posted by o2bahawk:
I can't figure out how Clear Lake gets the #6 seed - they were ranked 2nd or 3rd pretty late in the season and they didn't lose any games towards the end of the season. Don't know a lot about their season, but it is something that makes you go hmmmm! In the end that high of a seed might be a blessing for them - guess we'll see next week.
CL is a good team but certainly beatable. I would say the seed is probably pretty accurate.

WSR had them beat twice until they imploded on themselves, twice.

They do have a solid 1-9 linuep tho, are all VERY patient at the plate, and make you earn it, they give you nothing. They keep coming at you.

Again, WSR took out their #1 quite easily (sheakley), and were cruising to a victory until they couldn't find a guy themselves to throw strikes or find a player who could field a ground ball when the game tightened up.

I was actually shocked that they came back and beat Decorah, because that game with WSR was delayed till Tuesday, went 9 innings, and had to use BOTH of their best pitchers to win it.

Perhaps the LeMars coach should have taken some notes from how CL came back on won the following night?

In the end, i maybe see CL winning 1 game down in Des Moines, but that is probably about it.

This post was edited on 7/25 4:13 PM by hansenhawk

HH - I guess it depends on what side of the fence you were watching the game from but IMO WSR played a solid 4 innings but didn't knock Sheakley out easily. But you are correct about WSR booting the game away.
Also, CL didn't come back and win against Decorah. For the record, they were up 3 zip - 4 zip - 4-3 and finally 6-3. Two great wins, two great games and 3 solid teams that could be state qualifiers.

oops....my bad on the come back comment above, misunderstood thinking you meant comeback during the game, not the next night playing.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by randalel:
HH - I guess it depends on what side of the fence you were watching the game from but IMO WSR played a solid 4 innings but didn't knock Sheakley out easily. But you are correct about WSR booting the game away.
Also, CL didn't come back and win against Decorah. For the record, they were up 3 zip - 4 zip - 4-3 and finally 6-3. Two great wins, two great games and 3 solid teams that could be state qualifiers.
Yeah, it was unfortunate that WSR and CL had to play so early, that should have probably been the substate game, but because of this new point system, Oelwein actually passed CL and got the districts 2 seed bumping CL into WSR's district.

Davenport Assumption 5 Boone 3

Sioux City Heelan 1 Williamsburg 0

Assumption vs Heelan Friday at noon

Clear Lake 5 Chariton 4

Harlan 4 Dallas Center-Grimes 0

Clear Lake vs Harlan Friday at 2:00

Heelan/Assumption tied 6-6. Assumption dodging a few bullets so far.

and......they might just be the luckiest team in the tourney so far...

Sheesh, talk about self-inflicted...
This post was edited on 8/2 2:32 PM by cruhawk

The Class 3A state championship is set. Assumption beat Heelan 7-6 in 9 innings. Clear Lake beat Harlan 7-2. The Lions will meet the Knights tomorrow night at 6:00.

harlan looses,,but the future looks very bright for the cyclones...3 -8th graders played in the game, and harlan had only 2 seniors this year., though they were probably the 2 best on the team....its going to be interesting to see how the cyclones perform next year with such a young club this year.

Yes Cruhawk I will agree that Heelan is the luckiest team in the tourney. They are there not by winning their substate game but being "awarded" their substate game after a truly "self inflicted" incident by LeMars.

I couldn't believe (or resist) your post when I saw it.

And the same can be said about Clear Lake, ronsss, they've been starting 6 sophomores all year

This post was edited on 8/3 12:30 PM by GoodOldNCC

Originally posted by GoodOldNCC:
And the same can be said about Clear Lake, ronsss, they've been starting 6 sophomores all year

This post was edited on 8/3 12:30 PM by GoodOldNCC
True, but Sheakley is a pretty great equalizer on that front. That kid is something.

Clear Lake makes it 2 state championships for Cerro Gordo county as they beat Davenport Assumption 6-2 for their first state title. Congrats to the Lions!!!

Originally posted by ghost80:
Yes Cruhawk I will agree that Heelan is the luckiest team in the tourney. They are there not by winning their substate game but being "awarded" their substate game after a truly "self inflicted" incident by LeMars.

I couldn't believe (or resist) your post when I saw it.
You should probably know something about the incident before you post. Heelan showed they belonged in the tourney, getting to the semi's. Even then, it took an incredible amount of on-field misfortune for them not to get to the finals. Too bad for them that, in the post season, they never did rise to the level that they were in the regular season when they took the MRC. Maybe just a product of the youth. I've talked to a couple of the kids; they seem to have a bad taste in their mouths about how they lost Friday...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT