ADVERTISEMENT

2016 State Champ

They can replace those kids from last year by choosing who to let in the school and who to no let in. Private schools using public money for school vouchers. Doesn't happen to the public schools. All private schools in the state of Iowa should have to play up a class because they have an advantage over public schools, because public schools can not deny education/athletics to a child.[/QUOTE

This is completely ridiculous... Where is there any factual information in this statement at all???? You clearly have not understanding of how Christian Education works. And honestly private schools using public money? Families and parents who send their children to private school are the one's who are making the financial sacrifice. They pay the same taxes as everyone else in their public school district and then pay somewhere between $4,000 and $10,000 per year to send their child to a private school. 9 times out of 10 this is done purely for religious freedom in coherence with what many parent's value throughout the state, "Christian Education."

As far as success in athletics, I completely agree with LJY89. Tradition, hard work, bought in, and great coaches are the components to success at the high school level.

Well, looking at the stats, nearly all of HLP will be back next year so we will be talking about them again next year.

I think it is going to be a great game. I don't expect a blowout and I am looking forward to watching this match-up. Good luck to both teams!

How are those excuses? Those are facts, that private schools can hand select or deny who they want in their schools and can also put a limit on their enrollment to keep their beads numbers at a certain number.
You sir, are an idiot who obviously was never in the private school education system. If you look at the last names of players over the years it's the same ones over and over for the most part with a few outliers. Same thing was said about DB with wrestling in the past.

Reactions: JeffyScoresALLDAY
I am curious to know the average age of kids transferring to a private school? Do you remember the hoopla that surrounded Mt. Vernon's recruitment like letter that when out to it's Jr. High students a while back? Maybe they were on to something. I would think making this type of move while in high school would actually be a little too late. I have no dog in this fight but I am curious as to what you all think.

I am curious to know the average age of kids transferring to a private school? Do you remember the hoopla that surrounded Mt. Vernon's recruitment like letter that when out to it's Jr. High students a while back? Maybe they were on to something. I would think making this type of move while in high school would actually be a little too late. I have no dog in this fight but I am curious as to what you all think.

It's not the kids moving in that give them an advantage. It's the numbers game so they can remain in 8 man classification. With a BED's of 84 and 38 kids out for football is baffling. Denver is 2 classes up in 1A with a BED's of almost double at 160 with 41 kids out. Something don't add up. Don't get me wrong they earn it but with those kind of numbers you are naturally going to have more athletes to choose from.

I've seen schools out west post the kind of numbers you speak of so I think there is something to be said for a solid program that gets max participation. I do think however that the Western schools get that kind of participation because the kids have nowhere else to go due to geography. Private schools in the East have the luxury of having vast quantities of athletes in a relatively close proximity to them. I see the power structure of 8-man football possibly swinging to the east side of the state as more schools enter the class. It is logical to assume private schools will be part of that.

Wow, who would thought Jeffy's thoughts were actually not too far off. You just kept thinking HLP would take advantage of DBs mistakes, but it just never happened. Outcome never really came into doubt as DB just kept pounding it for big gaines from the whistle.

And while the punting game didn't affect the outcome of the game (wink), the HLP punter has a boot.

DBs secondary looked much better than I've seen in the past. Always in good position, and the handful of big plays that came were the results of very atheltic catches, not poor positioning.

Way too early prediction for next year - these two meet at some point in the playoffs again.

"Wow, who would thought Jeffy's thoughts were actually not too far off"

What? He predicted 71-12 ... H-LP was driving in the 3rd quarter to take the lead!

H-LP made way way too many self inflicted mistakes to win against a great opponent. They never gave up, and the hustle and effort were always there. Very proud of the H-LP boys! Great season!

Congrats to DB, they did have the best combination of speedy backs H-LP has seen, that I will concede, however, there was no way they were going to score 50 let alone 70. The 2 late scores weren't really indicative of the overall game.

I love the Suvota (sp?) kid #15 ... great speed and good on D.

"Wow, who would thought Jeffy's thoughts were actually not too far off"

What? He predicted 71-12 ... H-LP was driving in the 3rd quarter to take the lead!

H-LP made way way too many self inflicted mistakes to win against a great opponent. They never gave up, and the hustle and effort were always there. Very proud of the H-LP boys! Great season!

Congrats to DB, they did have the best combination of speedy backs H-LP has seen, that I will concede, however, there was no way they were going to score 50 let alone 70. The 2 late scores weren't really indicative of the overall game.

I love the Suvota (sp?) kid #15 ... great speed and good on D.

You mustve been watching a different game than everyone else.

You can't just take away 2 scores because you don't like how the score looks. Using that logic, let's give DB an extra 10-16 points because all of those missed 2pt conversions weren't indicative of how they dominated offensively all game long. Either way, a 4td win is a 4td win.

Congrats to both. Much to be proud of, much room to improve, and much promise for next season. Good luck to both replacing those seniors as they all played an integral part of each teams success.

Seriously nolongago? It was a 2 srcore game (36-21) with a little over 2 minutes to go with H-LP inside Bosco territory (I think around the 30). If you want to crow about your 2 garbage TDs at the end if it makes you feel better, go ahead. Everyone that watched the game (and I would bet the coaches and players on DBs sidelines) would agree that the final score was NOT indicative of the closeness of the game.

Hopefully H-LP will get another shot at DB next year, however I'm pretty sure our road to the final 4 will be a little tougher than yours.

We lose two really good players in Kyle #10 and Helinga #13 with everyone else back.

Go Wolves! And congratulations to all Bosco fans who know they were in a game today. You guys have a fine team, with some great talent.

Seriously nolongago? It was a 2 srcore game (36-21) with a little over 2 minutes to go with H-LP inside Bosco territory (I think around the 30). If you want to crow about your 2 garbage TDs at the end if it makes you feel better, go ahead. Everyone that watched the game (and I would bet the coaches and players on DBs sidelines) would agree that the final score was NOT indicative of the closeness of the game.

Hopefully H-LP will get another shot at DB next year, however I'm pretty sure our road to the final 4 will be a little tougher than yours.

We lose two really good players in Kyle #10 and Helinga #13 with everyone else back.

Go Wolves! And congratulations to all Bosco fans who know they were in a game today. You guys have a fine team, with some great talent.

How can it be a close game while simultaneously scoring garbage touchdown (s)? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth...

There is such a thing of teams scoring late in games after the outcome was already determined ... it happens all the time, and if you were on the other end, you would mention it. I have every right to point that out ... it WAS a two score game or less for the vast majority of the game and you cannot dispute that.

42-21 is the score that seems more indicative at the end of the day (pushing it to a 3 score, out of reach margin with 2 minutes to go) ... I guess I'm more disappointed we gave up that last one than the 2nd to last.

Last edited:
Reactions: farhawks
It's not the kids moving in that give them an advantage. It's the numbers game so they can remain in 8 man classification. With a BED's of 84 and 38 kids out for football is baffling. Denver is 2 classes up in 1A with a BED's of almost double at 160 with 41 kids out. Something don't add up. Don't get me wrong they earn it but with those kind of numbers you are naturally going to have more athletes to choose from.
I hope there aren't many people running around thinking a small private school is " sorting applicants " for the sake of remaining small and thereby gaining a competitive edge in sports.

The reality is that running a school of any kind is a business matter. Survival is a matter of profitability. Revenue has to be generated that exceeds cost or a school will not last long ( especially a small private school ). It takes the same amount of money to light, heat, clean, maintain, insure, etc., plus pay someone to teach in that classroom. It doesn't matter if that room has 12 kids in it, or 25 kids in it, those cost are the same. Since no prize money is being paid out to schools winning championships, gross revenue trumps being competitive in sports by a LONG SHOT. The only way to offset lost revenue due to decreasing enrollment is to raise tuition on the families who have kids that remain in the school.

There is no private school that has capacity and facilities available to increase enrollment that is turning kids away to remain in a lower sports classification just so they can compete. That's just nonsensical rhetoric. Many schools in small town Iowa are fighting for survival, and it's because of shrinking enrollment. So does recruiting go on, yes, absolutely. Does having solid athletic programs help recruiting, absolutely. Does being a private school guarantee success in sports, take a look at the football at Columbus Catholic right now, they are obviously in a down cycle. Columbus has every opportunity to pull in some of the same kids that may choose to go to Bosco.

If anyone seriously thinks kids are being turned away so Bosco can remain in 8 man football, you are not even considering the number of kids who won't come to Bosco because they do play 8 man vs 11 man.

Congrats to both teams yesterday, it was a great game !

I wouldn't quite day bosco's road was easy, they just had a good game plan in every game. And they executed their plan perfectly. They played a tough TV, central, and Midland ( although the score didn't show it) teams... my prediction is dB, HLP, and Midland will be back. Not sure on the 4th team. I do know Midland returns a lot of talent and contributors. Midlands freshman qb britian martens is going to be a good replacement for his older cousin. They will need to find another student reliever as Harms is a senior. Having smith back next year will be huge, as well as most of their line on both sides of the ball. Can't wait till the 2017 season already!

I hope there aren't many people running around thinking a small private school is " sorting applicants " for the sake of remaining small and thereby gaining a competitive edge in sports.

The reality is that running a school of any kind is a business matter. Survival is a matter of profitability. Revenue has to be generated that exceeds cost or a school will not last long ( especially a small private school ). It takes the same amount of money to light, heat, clean, maintain, insure, etc., plus pay someone to teach in that classroom. It doesn't matter if that room has 12 kids in it, or 25 kids in it, those cost are the same. Since no prize money is being paid out to schools winning championships, gross revenue trumps being competitive in sports by a LONG SHOT. The only way to offset lost revenue due to decreasing enrollment is to raise tuition on the families who have kids that remain in the school.

There is no private school that has capacity and facilities available to increase enrollment that is turning kids away to remain in a lower sports classification just so they can compete. That's just nonsensical rhetoric. Many schools in small town Iowa are fighting for survival, and it's because of shrinking enrollment. So does recruiting go on, yes, absolutely. Does having solid athletic programs help recruiting, absolutely. Does being a private school guarantee success in sports, take a look at the football at Columbus Catholic right now, they are obviously in a down cycle. Columbus has every opportunity to pull in some of the same kids that may choose to go to Bosco.

If anyone seriously thinks kids are being turned away so Bosco can remain in 8 man football, you are not even considering the number of kids who won't come to Bosco because they do play 8 man vs 11 man.

Congrats to both teams yesterday, it was a great game !

I never said they were sorting or turning kids away to remain in eightman. Somehow they have a high number of athletes considering their BED's # is 84. Either they just have a higher percentage of athletic kids or they are skewing the numbers to the state somehow.
My school district has a BED's of 106 and can't field their own wrestling program.

Name another 8 man school who can field a full successful wrestling squad and respectable basketball program year after year. The answer is none. Maybe it's just a coincidence. IDK

I must have misinterpreted your statement of " It's the numbers game so they can remain in the 8 man classification " creating an advantage.

They can replace those kids from last year by choosing who to let in the school and who to no let in. Private schools using public money for school vouchers. Doesn't happen to the public schools. All private schools in the state of Iowa should have to play up a class because they have an advantage over public schools, because public schools can not deny education/athletics to a child.

Snotnocker I think I lumped this post and yours together leading to my response. It is what is. I'll leave it at that.

I never said they were sorting or turning kids away to remain in eightman. Somehow they have a high number of athletes considering their BED's # is 84. Either they just have a higher percentage of athletic kids or they are skewing the numbers to the state somehow.
My school district has a BED's of 106 and can't field their own wrestling program.

Name another 8 man school who can field a full successful wrestling squad and respectable basketball program year after year. The answer is none. Maybe it's just a coincidence. IDK
The thing is some of those good wrestlers are on the football team too, like someone said before they just have kids that buy in and dominate

Bosco has always had solid participation in football, even when they were the worst in the state. No surprise they can still field a full roster when they're playing so deep into the playoffs every year.

Yeah, we (Midland 2013 graduate) played them our last year 11-man (my freshman year). And it was a close game the whole time (final 14-16 db). Props to db on another state title, and hope we can get you guys on our schedule again next year! Never hurts playing the best team in the state early on!

Reactions: BoscoFan4Life
Midland is a well coached and hard nosed team. Bosco will play them again next year and it should be a good measuring stick early on for both. Good luck to you guys next season !

How are those excuses? Those are facts, that private schools can hand select or deny who they want in their schools and can also put a limit on their enrollment to keep their beads numbers at a certain number.

Most of the kids that go to an athletically strong private school are not there because a representative of the private school reached out to them and recruited them to go there to play sports.

I strongly doubt private schools limit their enrollment to manipulate what classification their sports teams are in.

There are kids that are recruited to go to private schools. I know some public schools do that as well, to a certain extent. Obviously this is easier to justify at a private school.

But I do think that private schools have many inherent "unfair" advantages when it comes to athletics, and should be required to have a multiplier tacked onto their enrollment.

The argument that "the same last names" keep showing up does not mean that they aren't recruiting, or that they don't have an unfair advantage.

Particularly at the smaller schools, I think you see the advantages more in the depth. Families that can afford to send their kids to private school also probably have kids that are more able to participate in more extracurricular activities. And fewer kids in the school that are unable to participate in or focus on extra curricular activities. There are probably fewer academic casualties, and probably fewer socio-economic limitations. I'm not suggesting that every student at a private school is an honor roll kid with doctors as parents, but I am saying that these are the sorts of factors that begin to add up.

7 of the 24 teams in the dome were private schools. 3 of the 6 champions were private schools. That story repeats essentially every year. Its not an outrage, but it is a conversation worth having, and we have it every year.

Reactions: JDS0202 and BTB138
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT