ADVERTISEMENT

2016 State Champ

Should be a great day for football!

In my totally biased opinion it is going to be H-LP.

I think they have a very balanced attack on offense. They can run the power game with 2 tight ends in the I formation. They can spread you out and throw to their 6'3" and 6'4" ends (or their all purpose back). They will throw some trick plays at you which are hard to defend.

On D they have been steady all year only giving up a few big plays (usually making the opponent sustain long drives ... keeping the high scoring teams in check).

Their kicking game is very good, Kyle is a great punter and Nicks has a strong and accurate leg for FGs and kickoffs. Gunderson is very dangerous returning punts while Helinga has speed to take it all the way as well (both return kicks if my memory serves me).

H-LP is battle tested having beaten 6 of the top 25 teams according to BCMOORE (4 top 10 teams - Audubon, Ar-We-Va, GTRA, Newell Fonda).

The fear I have is if the Dome's "wow" factor affects the players and they don't perform well or have a slow start and cannot catch up to a really good team in F-M. F-M has the experience and the tradition on their side ... great team that hasn't really been tested much this year, can they win a close game? Perhaps, since they may be the best team in the state regardless of who they have played.

I'm gong H-LP 36 F-M 32 in a hard hitting game.

On the other side I'll go with Don Bosco, with H-LP winning another tight game in the finals. We can talk about that one next week! Good luck to all the teams today, it is a great accomplishment to make it this far.

Last edited:
I think don bosco has too much speed for HLP to hang with them, I'll take bosco for the title

What is Bosco's size on the OL and DL? Are they a power running team or spread or passing? I know virtually nothing about them.

I like how H-LP can play any type of game and excel in it, they are very balanced. I like Gunderson and his staff in how they come up with game plans and how well his team executes them ...

I think this game will be a challenge for H-LP, but so was Newell-Fonda, GTRA, Audubon, Ar-We-Va and Fremont-Mills. This is a good football team. Looking forward to a great game next Thursday!

Bosco is a power team, but all their skill players are fast n hit hard. Their run game is suffocating and their pass game isn't too shabby either

Unfortunately, Don Bosco needs to be more consistent with defending the pass. Bosco has an "achilles tendon".

Bosco will put the ball on the ground and pound it, until they stop getting 7yds a carry, switched up with a lil play action. Advantage of multiple talented running backs, and a quarterback with a very accurate arm.
Don Bosco has not faced a tough defense all year, and when I mean tough I mean west side of iowa tough, HLP is the most coordinated, well coach 8 man football team I have seen in the dome for a long time. I was very impressed with their performance in the semis. HLP defense I think will make Bosco fight for every inch on thursday.

Although we have to admit Bosco's offense is explosive! vs a very physical and dominant defense! Can't wait!

^^^
Conversely, hlp hasn't seen an offense like DB. Statistically the number 1 offense in the state vs the 2 defense. And let's not forget, DBs defense isn't anything to sneeze at, also a top 4 defense.

What's the old saying? A good offense will beat a good defense. The perfect offensive call will beat the perfect defensive call.

Reactions: BoscoFan4Life
^^^
Conversely, hlp hasn't seen an offense like DB. Statistically the number 1 offense in the state vs the 2 defense. And let's not forget, DBs defense isn't anything to sneeze at, also a top 4 defense.

What's the old saying? A good offense will beat a good defense. The perfect offensive call will beat the perfect defensive call.

No of course, schmitz at linebacker and Svoboda at DE very key positions for DB. Not to mention a very physical D-line. I think it's going to be a great match up.

^^^
Conversely, hlp hasn't seen an offense like DB.

I will have to disagree with this ... Audubon had a power running game. Very good team and big (and I mean big OL). They had 3 guys, 6'3" 310, 6'3" 260, 6'6" 280 and a great running back, and the QB was darn good too.

H-LP has seen some great teams on their side of the state (see the BCMOORE rankings - HLP has beat'n 5 top 10 and 7 top 25.

It will be a war ... #15 is a great back, and overall great DL and OL IMO for DB. If H-LP loses, it won't have anything to do with them "not seeing anything like DB", it will be that they out executed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoscoFan4Life
How's is DB's punter ... didn't really get to see him in the semi ;-) ... I think the championship game could be a field position game, and Kyle for H-LP is a great HS punter IMO. I've seen him angle it out inside the 10 several times and he has a big leg.

I will have to disagree with this ... Audubon had a power running game. Very good team and big (and I mean big OL). They had 3 guys, 6'3" 310, 6'3" 260, 6'6" 280 and a great running back, and the QB was darn good too.

H-LP has seen some great teams on their side of the state (see the BCMOORE rankings - HLP has beat'n 4 top 10 and 6 top 25.

It will be a war ... #15 is a great back, and overall great DL and OL IMO for DB. If H-LP loses, it won't have anything to do with them "not seeing anything like DB", it will be that they out executed them.

Size≠good. If the best comparison you can come up with is a team that averages 3 yards per rush less, over 30 less rushing tds, 5x as many ints thrown, and averages 3 tds a game less scored...well...thank you for proving my point.

I don't know who will win being as how neither team has much for common opponents, but my orognal statement is true.

Reactions: LJY89
How's is DB's punter ... didn't really get to see him in the semi ;-) ... I think the championship game could be a field position game, and Kyle for H-LP is a great HS punter IMO. I've seen him angle it out inside the 10 several times and he has a big leg.
And with offenses this good, field position is largely negated. Ball control would be much more important.

And with offenses this good, field position is largely negated. Ball control would be much more important.

It won't be negated when H-LP stops BC a few times ... They aren't going to just run up and down the field on the Wolves, not happening. They might win, but it will be a slug fest and field position WILL be a factor.

"Size≠good. If the best comparison you can come up with is a team that averages 3 yards per rush less, over 30 less rushing tds, 5x as many ints thrown, and averages 3 tds a game less scored...well...thank you for proving my point."

I didn't prove any ones point ... those stats are meaningless unless everyone played the same schedule. If Audubon played DBs schedule, I'm sure the stats would be similar if not better for Audubon in terms of power running.

The Audubon back racked up well over 300 yards rushing on H-LP, so this team has seen a power rushing attack similar to DBs. I was disputing the statement that "H-LP has never seen a rushing attack like DBs" ... I'm saying they have, so it won't be a surprise.

I enjoy the posts, so keep them coming ;-)

"Size≠good. If the best comparison you can come up with is a team that averages 3 yards per rush less, over 30 less rushing tds, 5x as many ints thrown, and averages 3 tds a game less scored...well...thank you for proving my point."

I didn't prove any ones point ... those stats are meaningless unless everyone played the same schedule. If Audubon played DBs schedule, I'm sure the stats would be similar if not better for Audubon in terms of power running.

The Audubon back racked up well over 300 yards rushing on H-LP, so this team has seen a power rushing attack similar to DBs. I was disputing the statement that "H-LP has never seen a rushing attack like DBs" ... I'm saying they have, so it won't be a surprise.

I enjoy the posts, so keep them coming ;-)

Audubon did not even rush for 300 yards as a team against HLP. Only a shade over 250 and it took almost 60 carries to do it. The power run game of Audubon's and DB's are totally different though. Audubon is more straight down hill with the RB with occasional misdirection with the QB. DB is power with the QB running it and more often than not with both RB's blocking ahead of him. Their change of pace stuff is more jet sweeps and counter plays off that. Very very different than what HLP saw with Audubon. The QB running game is a totally different animal to defend in 8 player vs 11 as you don't have the safeties to help with the additional blocker. Have a body on a body at the point of attack and as we have all heard more often than not, one missed tackle and the QB is gone for 6. HLP with have to really do a great job at making plays against the blocking backs that are coming at them otherwise the Bosco QB will have another field day like they did against Midland.

Audubon did not even rush for 300 yards as a team against HLP. Only a shade over 250 and it took almost 60 carries to do it. The power run game of Audubon's and DB's are totally different though. Audubon is more straight down hill with the RB with occasional misdirection with the QB. DB is power with the QB running it and more often than not with both RB's blocking ahead of him. Their change of pace stuff is more jet sweeps and counter plays off that. Very very different than what HLP saw with Audubon. The QB running game is a totally different animal to defend in 8 player vs 11 as you don't have the safeties to help with the additional blocker. Have a body on a body at the point of attack and as we have all heard more often than not, one missed tackle and the QB is gone for 6. HLP with have to really do a great job at making plays against the blocking backs that are coming at them otherwise the Bosco QB will have another field day like they did against Midland.

Thanks for catching the mistake, should have said "Well over 200" not 300 ... Smith had 227 yards rushing in the game:
http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/...cle_745358bb-0b83-5094-80da-194a10c8430e.html

H-LP has seen the read option from teams like GTRA and Westbend, probably others, however Audubon had the most success against them on the ground I believe. Granted, DB has the horses to challenge the Wolves defense, no doubt about it, however I don't think they will be shocked or intimidated in any way. I have no doubt that H-LP will at least slow them down better than Midland or any one else on their schedule did. I would guess the score will be in the range of 28-24 or 33-30, not in the 50s ... we'll see.

^^^
There is a difference between power running and running power. Audubon looked to be more a power running team (strait downhill between the tackles. Would rather run over than around). DB runs a lot of power (lead blocker via back or pulling lineman), but they run with finesse (cuts, following blockers, speed). Couple that with the misdirection aspect then add in a very accurate/efficient qb, and I'll stick to my original statement of HLP having not seen an offense like it. (And I said offense orginally, not running game so not sure why this discussion even started).

Is it going to be enough to win? Who knows, but it will be a game like neither has encountered this year.

Guess someone else said DB was a power running team, so I was thinking along those lines vs just the O in general. It will be a very interesting game, I'm looking forward to being in the Dome on Thursday.

I'm a firm believer in this years DB team. (I am non bias) No longer will they get screwed over by poor officiating. It only happened once this season with Central Elkader. DB is fast, strong, big and most importantly they have a high football IQ. The will entirely shut down Jordan Kyle's receiving with ease this year, unlike last year with Speiler. They have all the flaws from last years heartbreaking lose fixed. They also were able to fully replace the 2016 senior class with some great prospects/star athletes. Everyone should fully expect DB to pull away early and fast in this game, With the only points from HLP to come when the JV is in during the 3rd quarter. Final score 71-12 DB on top/

I'm a firm believer in this years DB team. (I am non bias) No longer will they get screwed over by poor officiating. It only happened once this season with Central Elkader. DB is fast, strong, big and most importantly they have a high football IQ. The will entirely shut down Jordan Kyle's receiving with ease this year, unlike last year with Speiler. They have all the flaws from last years heartbreaking lose fixed. They also were able to fully replace the 2016 senior class with some great prospects/star athletes. Everyone should fully expect DB to pull away early and fast in this game, With the only points from HLP to come when the JV is in during the 3rd quarter. Final score 71-12 DB on top/

Thank you for that non-biased post ;-). If DB scores over 40 I'll be very surprised.

I think that bodes well for HLP that a lot of people think they are soft and overrated. Northwest Iowa doesn't get much respect in 1A. But championships in the last 3 major sports, football (MMC), basketball (South O'Brien), and baseball (RSM) speaks for itself. I'm not saying they will win but I would be surprised if they got blown out. Just keep thinking Northwest Iowa is soft.

I've seen a lot of film over HLP lately. They seem soft, especially in the redzone against any GOOD team. still sticking to my score and I guarantee I'm not far off 71-12.

Too funny .. Jeff will have his overconfident attitude adjusted appropriately by the end of the game ;-)

I know the Don Bosco coaches and players will have plenty of respect for H-LP, they are a great program and didn't get where they are by over looking opponents (especially one as sound in every phase of the game as H-LP is).

And Jeff, I've got 50 bucks that says Bosco doesn't get to 50. You can ask your parents for an advance on your allowance to cover the bet. We can meet after, and I'll buy you a coke and a hot dog with the money you hand over ... sound good?

Northwest Iowa has certainly proved people wrong before (especially Bosco fans). Should be a good game. HLP just seems to be able to find ways to win in big games this year, which should bode well for them here. On the other side, there is no doubt that the Dons certainly have a surplus of athletes. I can't make up my mind on this game, luckily Jeffy can do that for us (love the fresh humor you bring to this board Jeffy.)

Best Guess: HLP 35, DB 32

They can replace those kids from last year by choosing who to let in the school and who to no let in. Private schools using public money for school vouchers. Doesn't happen to the public schools. All private schools in the state of Iowa should have to play up a class because they have an advantage over public schools, because public schools can not deny education/athletics to a child.

Reactions: 8 man forever
Jeff said this: "I've seen a lot of film over HLP lately."

Maybe he isn't great at breaking down film or he just doesn't want to see that H-LP is good at ball control, which will keep the clock moving. Also, they have a really good defense that doesn't give up too many big plays (teams will get them, it is 8 man so it is inevitable, however normally teams have to march instead of rack up long TDs). This causes the clock to run ... DB is more of a running team (at least that is the impression I'm getting plus the stats), again, the clock is moving.

This means DB won't get as many possessions as they normally get, which will keep them from scoring as many points ... 50 seems pretty high IMO, maybe 38-40 but that seems to be the high water mark baring a bunch of uncharacteristic turn-overs by H-LP.

On the other hand, H-LP can run or pass equally well, and will move the ball. Can they get to 40? I'm not sure ... I think they need to keep the game in the 20s or 30s to win it, but you never know.

Good luck to both teams and hopefully no injuries!

Nice job of stirring up this board JEFFY! You've done well! Without you it probably be dead right now! Keep it going!

p.s. It would be interesting to know your honest prediction on the game...

They can replace those kids from last year by choosing who to let in the school and who to no let in. Private schools using public money for school vouchers. Doesn't happen to the public schools. All private schools in the state of Iowa should have to play up a class because they have an advantage over public schools, because public schools can not deny education/athletics to a child.
Wow....just pulling things out of thin air eh?

Nope, just stating facts that's all.
Seven out of the eight starters for DB this year have been enrolled there since before their freshman year. The kids just buy in to the program and have great coaches. Working hard can get you a long way

Never been a private school guy or had any affiliation, but if you don't like it then you do have an option to beating them - get better. Teams have beaten them before at all levels and it wasn't through a miracle. It was probably through dedicated efforts and gameplans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT