ADVERTISEMENT

2014/2015 Football Schedules

nwmsbearcat

Freshman
Sep 8, 2009
Just saw a tweet that the IHSAA will release the 2014 & 2015 hs football schedules on Friday, March 7th at approx. 8 AM.

This post was edited on 2/21 10:44 AM by nwmsbearcat

I wonder if that will actually happen though. First they said the schedules would be released about two weeks after districts were announced. Two weeks later? Nothing. Then I asked them about it and they said "end of February." End of February has (almost) come and now they say March 7th. I wont believe it until I see it...

Just guessing:

The new scheduling might be far more difficult then expected. 4A football is now entirely districts with either 4 or 5 non district games to schedule with 2 cross over games. In the 4A east you have some districts with teams that have not scheduled home and way series in several decades. In the new 4A districts which teams with 6 teams, which teams get 3 home games and 2 away games in the first year of the cycle?

The 3A class and below have at least 3 new members in each class. 3A football and below have always scheduled non district games against teams in other classes.

It might actually be easier on the other classes, if the 4A schools chose to make entire 4A schedules, with the exception of Heelan, DW, Xavier, and Assumption in non district games in the first two years. But I think there are some schools that could be missing some decent gate revenues from early non-district 4A/3A matchups.

Ic west has Bettendorf. PV. And WDV. Ouch ! Along with IC City CRK Dub H Dav Cent wow

For the first time in a long time, Dowling will NOT play SEP or any Ankeny school. Also, Dowling is the only 4A team that will play Xavier.

There are some really disparate districts. But, overall, it looks exciting, (except for those who have to play Xavier in 3A.) Goodbye, Regina win streak in 2A. Maybe this would be a good time for someone to bring us (newcomers to 4A, 3A district play) eastern folks up to date about which teams qualify for the playoffs, points allotted for out-of-class wins and losses, etc. Thanks.

Originally posted by EastIowaHawk:
There are some really disparate districts. But, overall, it looks exciting, (except for those who have to play Xavier in 3A.) Goodbye, Regina win streak in 2A. Maybe this would be a good time for someone to bring us (newcomers to 4A, 3A district play) eastern folks up to date about which teams qualify for the playoffs, points allotted for out-of-class wins and losses, etc. Thanks.
Regina is 1A.

Credit goes to 1A Regina for not dodging the competition in order to keep the streak alive. They agreed to take on 3A Solon and now 3A Xavier on the road. 3 of their 4 road game will be against State participants from last season. And, all 4 road games will be against playoff teams from last season.
That Xavier game will be huge.

Regina 2014 Schedule:
@Solon (ND)
Cascade (ND)
Sigourney-Keota
@Eddyville-Blakesburg
Highland, Riverside
Columbus Junction
@West Marshall
@Xavier, Cedar Rapids (ND)
Pella Christian
ND *non-district game*

Originally posted by EastIowaHawk:
It's all purely district play, as I understand it, that determines playoff qualifiers. If you finish in the top four of your district - based on district games only - you are in the playoffs.

Out-of-class games, since they are by definition non-district, have no impact on playoffs, win or lose. All games outside of your district have no impact. So, yes, it's possible in one of the 4A five-team districts for a 1-8 team to be a playoff team (they go 0-5 in non-district games but 1-3 in the district, while the team they beat finishes with an 0-4 district record. Congratulations, you finished fourth in your district, welcome to the playoffs).

When it comes to tiebreakers to determine the top four they can go to this thing called the 13-point rule, which is kind of a modified winning-margin measurement. But again, only scores in district games apply. You could go 3-0 in non-district or 0-3, it's all the same as far as the playoffs go.

Hopefully that didn't confuse things too much. And hopefully I didn't mess up the explanation. If somebody can correct me, I am sure they'll be along shortly.
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/7 2:43 PM by KidSilverhair

Don't know if Regina had Xavier on their list or not. The week 1 and 2 games against Solon and Cascade come from your preference list. The state selects the "cross-over" game that is to be played week 8 against Xavier. No other school in the state chooses their crossover game so I doubt Regina had any say in that, unless they receive some kind of special treatment.

Looks like Solon starts out tough as well

Solon 2014 Schedule:

08/29 Regina, Iowa City (1A champ 2013)

09/05 @Mount Vernon (rival)

09/12 @Xavier, Cedar Rapids (4A runner up 2013)

09/19 Marion (state participant 2013)

09/26 Washington (3A runner up 2013)

10/03 @Central Clinton, DeWitt (state participant 2013)

10/10 Maquoketa (state participant 2013)

10/17 @Epworth, Western Dubuque (state participant 2013)

10/24 Wahlert, Dubuque

2014 St. Edmond football schedule-

8/29 Bishop Garrigan **
9/05 Mason City Newman **
9/12 at Manson Northwest Webster
9/19 at Woodward Academy
9/26 South Central Calhoun
10/03 at Madrid
10/10 Ogden
10/17 at Prairie Valley **
10/24 South Hamilton

**- non-district

Xavier was on Regina's list and Regina was on Xaviers list. Congrats on both and Cascade. Not all teams approached it that way.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
Credit goes to 1A Regina for not dodging the competition in order to keep the streak alive. They agreed to take on 3A Solon and now 3A Xavier on the road. 3 of their 4 road game will be against State participants from last season. And, all 4 road games will be against playoff teams from last season.
That Xavier game will be huge.

Regina 2014 Schedule:
@Solon (ND) - blew them out, so kinda hard to buy that you're challenging yourself here. Play a close game and maybe that changes....
devil.r191677.gif

Cascade (ND) - playoff team but will get blown out
Sigourney-Keota - only beat them 19-0. Looking past them were we?
@Eddyville-Blakesburg - blew them out
Highland, Riverside - will blow them out
Columbus Junction - will blow them out
@West Marshall - lost their best players, will blow them out
@Xavier, Cedar Rapids (ND) - winning streak ends. Too bad, I guess....
Pella Christian - will blow them out
ND *non-district game*

Hats off to all those who scheduled challenging games, especially to Iowa City Regina for taking on Cedar Rapids Xavier.

Now let's go to the quotes from Cedar Rapids Metro Athletic Directors...maybe 2014 will be the year that a Metro public school takes home the 4A Championship trophy. That would be the first since 1972? To me, the CR Metro teams are the big losers in the schedules. By choice!

And that's by Xavier's choice, STAY in 4A if you WANT to play 4A schools, QUIT with the crying.

Regina schedule? Nice. Provides a very intriguing wrinkle and sparks anticipation/interest you do not see often. The Hoosiers effect?

Originally posted by loco60:
To me, the CR Metro teams are the big losers in the schedules. By choice!
The Cedar Rapids area schools are in a no-win situation when it comes to scheduling Xavier.

Xavier was one of the Class 4A top teams year-in and year-out. That won't change much when the Saints drop to Class 3A. If the Class 4A schools in the Cedar Rapids area were to lose to Xavier, everyone would look down on them as losing to a 3A school even though Xavier would be one of the top 4A teams if they stayed in 4A.

Kudos to Xavier, though, for having the guts to schedule Dowling Catholic the next two years.

Originally posted by eyecy:

Originally posted by loco60:
To me, the CR Metro teams are the big losers in the schedules. By choice!
The Cedar Rapids area schools are in a no-win situation when it comes to scheduling Xavier.

Xavier was one of the Class 4A top teams year-in and year-out. That won't change much when the Saints drop to Class 3A. If the Class 4A schools in the Cedar Rapids area were to lose to Xavier, everyone would look down on them as losing to a 3A school even though Xavier would be one of the top 4A teams if they stayed in 4A.

Kudos to Xavier, though, for having the guts to schedule Dowling Catholic the next two years.
A no win situation for metro schools? They haven't been winning against Xavier anyway. Is there a possibility Xavier loses to Regina? Yes. Did either school shy away from that? No. The metro ads simply played sour grapes and attempted to punish Xavier for having the gall to drop to 3 A. There loss. They can now win without the embarrassment of losing to a 3 A school. Great message sent.

I don't see how it's a loss for the CR-Metro schools. So what, so they don't play Xavier, what's the big deal.

I'm just glad I won't have to listen to Schulte cry and complain about having to play a 4A schedule when they were 3A by numbers.

Remember, the only reason we are discussing this whole thing is because XAVIER wanted to be 3A. They could have stayed 4A and therefore could have continued to play the CR-Metro teams. It was THEIR choice.

Again, unless Private schools have way more pull than we thought, Regina and Xavier did not schedule each other, the state did and the state got it right. The crossover game has nothing to do with what is on a team's list. So Kuddos to Marion for scheduling Xavier, Solon, Central Dewit etc. Way to not shy away from the competition Marion. See how stupid it sounds

I see your point about the crossover game. The info the state gives to schools about their "wish lists" is pretty explicit saying that's only for Week 1 and 2 games, leaving the clear impression that the later-season crossover game is left up to the IAHSAA's control.

But isn't a 3A-1A state-mandated crossover game rather odd? How many other games next season will have a two-class gap? I mean, according to the state's own description, it sounds like Xavier-Regina was the state's doing. But telling a 1A school (even the current state champion) that they have to play a 3A school (that just dropped a class after two straight appearances in the 4A title game) - well, that sounds like a stretch.

It's not like there weren't lots of other 3A options for Xavier's crossover game. Benton, Vinton-Shellsburg, Clear Creek-Amana ... even Center Point-Urbana or Williamsburg or Mt. Vernon as 2A options. It just seems like there might have been something a little more going on than the IAHSAA just picking Regina out as a crossover for Xavier. Maybe that is indeed just how it happened, I don't know.

Regina and Xavier selected each other, but not tops on the list. The State made the matchup, with the surprise was Week 8 instead of Week 1 or 2.

It will be an interesting matchup in week 8.

As to Marion's non-district games...seems like good matchups to me.

I did notice West Lyon has a two class jump in their week 8 game, same with Carroll Kuemper it is how the state does things.

Originally posted by rkhemp:
Again, unless Private schools have way more pull than we thought, Regina and Xavier did not schedule each other, the state did and the state got it right. The crossover game has nothing to do with what is on a team's list. So Kuddos to Marion for scheduling Xavier, Solon, Central Dewit etc. Way to not shy away from the competition Marion. See how stupid it sounds
You realize Xavier, Solon, DeWitt are all in Marion's district right? Marion's ND\CO games look like this:

08/28 Mount Vernon (2A)

09/04 @Washington (3A Runner-up)

09/11 Cascade, Western Dubuque (1A)

Xavier didn't have much choice on games as no one local would play them, so they had to reach out to larger metro areas (Des Moines and Davenport). IC, CR and CedarFalls\Waterloo nixed them and I don't believe any smaller schools had them as their 1st, 2nd choice. All of Xavier's ND games are against private schools - maybe the state is trying to say something?

This post was edited on 3/10 9:19 AM by Vroom_C14

Loco, those are Marion's district games. My point being is the state decided to match up Regina vs Xavier week 8 in the crossover game. For the 2 non-district games, the state does their very best to select games where both schools are on the top of each other's list. If Regina and Xavier both had each other in their top 2, I am sure the state would have scheduled them in week 1 or 2. From there, it doesn't matter if a team is 3rd on your list or 8th or not on your list at all. There are many schools who have never played any one on their list in the crossover game. I feel the state scheduled this game because it has the making of being one of the most hyped games in the history of the state. Now, if Xavier and Regina has more say than any other team in the state on who they play for their crossover game, that would surely raise some eyebrows.

Regina has jumped up 2 classes the last go around as well playing Solon and more than held their own against one of the top 3A programs in the state. It is not that surprising they are playing a 3A opponent. Again, this game will help the state decide on the direction they will go with private schools in 2016. There is enough data already of how well Regina does against schools from small town Iowa, now we get to see how well Iowa City Catholic High does against Cedar Rapids Catholic High.

My guess and it is just a guess is that Xavier was higher on Regina's list than Cascade and Cascade was not in the top 2. On a side note I thought cross over games were dictated by the sister district concept so there wouldn't be very many teams with those teams on their list. But I have been wrong before and will be again.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
My guess and it is just a guess is that Xavier was higher on Regina's list than Cascade and Cascade was not in the top 2. On a side note I thought cross over games were dictated by the sister district concept so there wouldn't be very many teams with those teams on their list. But I have been wrong before and will be again.
If they were higher on the list (1 o 2) the state would have had them as one of the ND games as that is where the school sets its precedence. The cross over game is supposed to be from a sister district, surprised the state went out of their way to schedule a 1A vs 3A cross over game...

It sounds like the State just couldn't find match ups for Xavier. So, they set up the Regina game knowing that the schools had each other on their lists. It's a win-win for the State. They are able to create a fairly local match up for Xavier which was difficult, and they know the game will raise eyebrows and bring in the fans and attention.

I'd caution putting too much stock into this game though, especially as some are implying that it will determine how the state classifies private schools. That would be a mistake.

Not certain that is correct. Back a few years I am pretty certain Regina did not have BGM on their list anywhere and got them on their schedule. The concept of sister districts is gone with this current set up. In the past the cross over game was with a sister district. That is no more.

Not the game itself, but Xavier's entire schedule. They play the top 4A private school, the top 1A private school, along with Assumption and Walhlert. They are in a very strong district. Over the next 2 years, the state will be able to look at the results of the private schools vs public schools and private vs private. How well does Xavier play Dowling, how well does Regina play Xavier, how well does Assumption do vs Xavier and Bettendorf compared to the rest of their schedule? It will be interesting to watch.

Here's a scenerio that could happen. Xavier vs Dowling ends in a close game. Dowling wins state. Xavier vs Regina ends in a close game. Xavier beats Heelan for state. Regina walks through the rest of the season beating most teams by 35 points at half. Regina wins state. You could conclude then that a 1A private school in Iowa City has the ability to compete with any one in the state. The whole point of having classifications is for competitive balance. Perhaps there are better ways to measure what classification a school should be in than based on BEDS numbers alone.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:
Credit goes to 1A Regina for not dodging the competition in order to keep the streak alive. They agreed to take on 3A Solon and now 3A Xavier on the road. 3 of their 4 road game will be against State participants from last season.
the 3rd game is selected by the state. Nobody "agrees" on who to play in that one.
Nobody wanted to play Xavier or Regina, so it was logical they are facing one another. It doesn't take a flipping genius to figure that one out, Pine.
Regina should be a 3A school anyway, so may as well play 'em.

The first two games (ND) are from a combined "School X wants to play School Y" so Solon listed Regina and Regina listed Solon, much like Cascade listed Regina and Regina listed Cascade.

Now regarding how well Assumption will do - their enrollment is on the small end of 3A but have competed at a high level in 4A against teams like Bett, Dav North, North Scott, Pleasant Valley, etc. So they will be fine in 3A. 3A on the East side will, for the next 2 years, be between Assumption and Xavier for who plays Heelan for the title. The state will look at the results for the next 2 years in regards to outcomes and depending on how the data builds, either introduce a multiplier or not.

Vroom - think you're selling some programs short when you say that the east side of the State will be between Xavier and Assumption. Programs like Solon, Decorah, Pella may have something to say about that (I'm sure I missed some programs - those three came to mind right away). I don't think it is safe to assume that Catholic schools will dominate the east side of State in 3A.

Originally posted by o2bahawk:
Vroom - think you're selling some programs short when you say that the east side of the State will be between Xavier and Assumption. Programs like Solon, Decorah, Pella may have something to say about that (I'm sure I missed some programs - those three came to mind right away). I don't think it is safe to assume that Catholic schools will dominate the east side of State in 3A.
Much like the West side has Harlan and few others that can compete with Heelan once in a while to keep Heelan out of the dome... I am not trying to disrespect the Decorah's, Solon's, etc of the East. It is my opinion that the East will find it as difficult if not more to compete against 2 schools that were highly successful in 4A (much like Heelan was). Those 2 schools will have the same talent pool (and then some) to pick from, just now they will playing teams without as much talent as the 4A teams they played every night (and had winning records against).

Heelan history:

Play-off Teams (33) [/B]

* IHSAA Play-offs began in 1972 [/I]

1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

State Champs (6) [/B]

1961, 1971, 1975 (4A *well large class*), 1982(4A), 2008(4A), 2013(4A)

State Runner-ups (9) [/B]

1983(4A), 1985(4A), 1988(4A), 1989(4A), 1991(4A), 1993(4A), 2007(3A), 2010(3A), 2012(3A)

District Champions (6)[/B] [/I]

[/I]* Began 3A District FB in 2006 [/I]

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013

Xavier and Assumption have two of the best 4A football programs in the state, with both qualifying regularly for the postseason. Xavier won the 4A championship in 2006 and was runner-up the past two seasons.
-------------

If I am wrong I am wrong and will admit to such.

I have no doubt that if Xavier\Assumption remain in 3A say for the next 10 years that a public school team will have enough talent to beat them, I just don't see it being consistently done.

Harlan can compete with Heelan once in awhile? Really? It all goes in cycles. From 2000 - 2005 harlan is in every championship except one and they dominated. From 2008 to present Heelan wins 2 big and gets hammered in the other 2. It goes in spurts and will change at some near time in the future. As for your thinking that it's heelan vs. Xavier in the championship game already, oh I think we will just have to wait and see about that.

BTW in 2008 and 2013 Heelan won 3A
This post was edited on 3/19 12:48 PM by six5hunter

Originally posted by six5hunter:
Harlan can compete with Heelan once in awhile? Really? It all goes in cycles. From 2000 - 2005 harlan is in every championship except one and they dominated. From 2008 to present Heelan wins 2 big and gets hammered in the other 2. It goes in spurts and will change at some near time in the future. As for your thinking that it's heelan vs. Xavier in the championship game already, oh I think we will just have to wait and see about that.

BTW in 2008 and 2013 Heelan won 3A

This post was edited on 3/19 12:48 PM by six5hunter
The 3A 4A thing came from a site... guess it wasn't correct on the classification (or it was hinting at something...).

As far as Heelan vs Harlan - yes I stand by that Harlan can compete with Heelan once in a while, otherwise Heelan wouldn't have made it to the dome 7 of the last 8 years and 5 times to the championship... How many times since Heelan dropped to 3A has Harlan beat them? Here is a list of the schools in the 3A title game since Heelan dropped to 3A -

Winner \ Loser
2006 Humboldt (12-1) Clear Lake (12-1) 27-9
2007 Keokuk (12-1) Bishop Heelan, Sioux City (11-2) 42-7

2008 Bishop Heelan, Decorah (13-1) 35-10

2009 Harlan Pella (10-4) 35-14

2010 Solon (13-1) Bishop Heelan, Sx City (12-2) 45-7

2011 Union Community Decorah (11-3) 21-14

2012 Decorah Bishop Heelan, Sx City (12-2) 49-21

2013 Bishop Heelan Washington

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT