1. George-Little Rock (3) vs. South O'Brien (10) @ MOC Floyd Valley
  2. West Fork (19) vs. Don Bosco (6) @ Clear Lake
  3. Dunkerton (16) vs. Edgewood-Colesburg (26) @ Independence
  4. Gladbrook-Reinbeck (20) vs. North Linn (1) @ Vinton-Shellsburg
  5. Iowa Mennonite (17) vs. Lynnville-Sully (11) @ Oskaloosa
  6. Grand View Christian (2) vs. Central Decatur (14) @ Indianola
  7. Bedford (41) vs. Council Bluffs St. Albert (5) @ Shenandoah
  8. IKM-Manning (29) vs. Remsen St. Mary's (4) @ Denison

So who is going to win the Edgewood-Colesburg vs North Linn first round game? North Linn really struggled the first two match ups with EC this year only winning by 44 & 71... I can see a really tough game at the Well for this 9 am game. Be sure to set your alarms so you don't oversleep and miss this classic!

Reactions: iowalongs230
So who is going to win the Edgewood-Colesburg vs North Linn first round game? North Linn really struggled the first two match ups with EC this year only winning by 44 & 71... I can see a really tough game at the Well for this 9 am game. Be sure to set your alarms so you don't oversleep and miss this classic!
My thoughts exactly...although the first game is actually at 9:30am. :)

Although doesn't this assume North Linn as #1 seed? Wouldn't it be possible that GVC could get #1? Although if this GVC fan is honest I would have no problem with North Linn as #1.

It also assumes Ed-Co as #8...still a possibility for a lower ranked BCMoore team to get into the tournament if either Bedford or IKM-Manning win tonight.

My thoughts exactly...although the first game is actually at 9:30am. :)

Although doesn't this assume North Linn as #1 seed? Wouldn't it be possible that GVC could get #1? Although if this GVC fan is honest I would have no problem with North Linn as #1.

It also assumes Ed-Co as #8...still a possibility for a lower ranked BCMoore team to get into the tournament if either Bedford or IKM-Manning win tonight.
Yes, I have made some assumptions and baring an upset tonight, I think I am safe on my assumption that Ed-Co will be the 8th seed. Yes, the game does start at 9:30, but I am sure it will be a sell-out with this great match-up so you will definitely want to be there as early as possible, I have heard that people plan to start lining up around 7:30 am if not sooner for this one and Des Moines finest have already made their plans for their yearly speed trap coming into Des Moines on I-235 to welcome everyone from NE Iowa.

Yes, I have made some assumptions and baring an upset tonight, I think I am safe on my assumption that Ed-Co will be the 8th seed. Yes, the game does start at 9:30, but I am sure it will be a sell-out with this great match-up so you will definitely want to be there as early as possible, I have heard that people plan to start lining up around 7:30 am if not sooner for this one and Des Moines finest have already made their plans for their yearly speed trap coming into Des Moines on I-235 to welcome everyone from NE Iowa.
All great points!

reece.JPG

9:30 am Monday first round state game! Good grief, what a great state experience for the loser. Hey still time to run over to Perkins for breakfast special.
Hey Boone boys, it's called playing games at different sites. Not that big a deal the Wells Fargo isn't that neat. Though we are sure there are some nickel and dime kick backs going to your over inflated salaries.
9:30 tip off what a joke!

Reactions: Hawk2015
9:30 am Monday first round state game! Good grief, what a great state experience for the loser. Hey still time to run over to Perkins for breakfast special.
Hey Boone boys, it's called playing games at different sites. Not that big a deal the Wells Fargo isn't that neat. Though we are sure there are some nickel and dime kick backs going to your over inflated salaries.
At least Ed-Co won't miss a whole day of school, especially with the Mercy rule coming into play.

I'm wondering if moving the state basketball tournament is in order, the way I see it the winter seasons have been shortened by 2 weeks to have the games at Wells Fargo, in the even that the arena would get NCAA wrestling or Basketball. Personally I would move everything back at least 1 if not 2 weeks, keep the wrestling tournament at Wells Fargo, and then with the Boys and Girls tournament rotate them between Wells Fargo, Carver, Hilton, and the U.S. Cellular Center, and maybe the McLeod Center although I am not sure that it is big enough.

Reactions: mylameusername
It's going to happen, 64 team all class bball tournament. the first and second rounds will be split between 8 different high schools. the regionals will rotate between Iowa cities and the final four at Wells Fargo.

Historically speaking....how does the 9:30 AM tip off compare to years past?

On the girls side, it looks like the first games start at 10:00 AM, so not a huge difference.

Would hate to see two teams from the same conference play first round of the state tournament, but it sure looks that way unless there is an upset tonight. GVC/North Linn are #1 and #2 without a doubt and Remsen #3 if they win tonight. Rest is up for grabs. Ed-Co just doesn't match up with NL's guards or defensive pressure very well.

Would hate to see two teams from the same conference play first round of the state tournament, but it sure looks that way unless there is an upset tonight. GVC/North Linn are #1 and #2 without a doubt and Remsen #3 if they win tonight. Rest is up for grabs. Ed-Co just doesn't match up with NL's guards or defensive pressure very well.
I totally agree, really sucks for Ed-Co. They sure had a good run these last two games.

Don’t they seed based off of overall record?

If so then:
1- North Linn
2- St Mary’s
3- GVC
4 & 5- Lynville & Don Bosco
6- Edgewood
7- GLR
8-CBSA

Don’t they seed based off of overall record?

If so then:
1- North Linn
2- St Mary’s
3- GVC
4 & 5- Lynville & Don Bosco
6- Edgewood
7- GLR
8-CBSA
Not based on record. The 8 tourney team coaches submit their own seedings excluding their own school, and the composite ends up being the seeding.

I would guess it ends up 1-NL, 2-GVC, 3-St Mary's, 4-7??, 8-Edgewood

I'm wondering if moving the state basketball tournament is in order, the way I see it the winter seasons have been shortened by 2 weeks to have the games at Wells Fargo, in the even that the arena would get NCAA wrestling or Basketball. Personally I would move everything back at least 1 if not 2 weeks, keep the wrestling tournament at Wells Fargo, and then with the Boys and Girls tournament rotate them between Wells Fargo, Carver, Hilton, and the U.S. Cellular Center, and maybe the McLeod Center although I am not sure that it is big enough.

If scheduling is the issue with the Iowa Wolves and Wild, why not try your suggestions of alternate arenas. Shoot, you could use Drake's Knapp Center - with it's close seating it would be a great atmosphere. I would be fine with Carver, Hilton, McLeod or US CC as well.

Not sure if they still do it this way, but Nebraska had their smaller classes play their first round games in the smaller Lincoln arenas (Pershing Auditorium) or larger school gyms (Iowa 4A equivalent) in Lincoln and then play the championship in Devaney (now Pinnacle).

I totally agree, really sucks for Ed-Co. They sure had a good run these last two games.

Ankeny Christian (ACA) has a legit beef with the districts this year. Top 10 program with its only losses being close ones to GVC and strong 2A EBF. Yet they somehow always end up in GVC's district.

You hear complaints of NW IA districts being stacked. You would think ACA could've been moved to a different path or have them square off against GVC at the substate game.

Ankeny Christian (ACA) has a legit beef with the districts this year. Top 10 program with its only losses being close ones to GVC and strong 2A EBF. Yet they somehow always end up in GVC's district.

You hear complaints of NW IA districts being stacked. You would think ACA could've been moved to a different path or have them square off against GVC at the substate game.

I agree!
Good way for Boone to limit the number of private schools that make it to the tournament. At least Kuemper and Western made it to Substate before they met.

Not based on record. The 8 tourney team coaches submit their own seedings excluding their own school, and the composite ends up being the seeding.

I would guess it ends up 1-NL, 2-GVC, 3-St Mary's, 4-7??, 8-Edgewood
They started doing the seeding this way last year and it seemed to work well.

Agree with #1 and #2, I would put George-Little Rock #3.

As much as I love ripping on the boyz in Boone, I actually really like The Well for state basketball and would hate it if they used different sites. Doubt they move it (and there will never be a 64-team tournament, by the way). This particular one will be a blowout, but last year the #1 vs. #8 games were all relatively close. I guess it would probably be best to make sure the teams with less traveling go to the early morning and late night games though.

I agree, I'd hate to see it be moved from the Well.

Disagree that closer teams should have the earlier games, I think it should be based on seeding with higher seeded teams playing in other than the early game.

Why not give the higher seed the option as to what time they would like to play. So NL would get to choose their game time, then GV, and so on.

Why not give the higher seed the option as to what time they would like to play. So NL would get to choose their game time, then GV, and so on.
I like it.

Who knows, maybe a higher seeded local team would choose the early game just to mess with a team coming from farther away. :)

Here is my prediction on how the seeding will come out:

Game 1 @ 9:30 am
N. Linn (1) vs Ed-Co (8)

Game 2 @ 11:15 am
Remsen (4) vs Bosco (5)

Game 3 @ 1 pm
GV (2) vs CB St A (7)

Game 4 @ 2:45 pm
GLR (3) vs Lynville Sully (6)

Not sure how coaches will view CB St A record/schedule.

Hmmm...

GVC beat Lynnville-Sully by 13 at their gym, yet lost to Carroll Kuemper by 1 at their gym and St. Albert's beat Kuemper twice, so based on those experiences and BCMoore ratings I think St. Albert's should be 6 (or 5) and Lynnville-Sully the 7.

Hmmm...

GVC beat Lynnville-Sully by 13 at their gym, yet lost to Carroll Kuemper by 1 at their gym and St. Albert's beat Kuemper twice, so based on those experiences and BCMoore ratings I think St. Albert's should be 6 (or 5) and Lynnville-Sully the 7.
Almost nailed it. Just missed Remsen and GLR.

The fact that Saint Albert is a 7 seed is absolutely laughable. Hands down the toughest schedule and conference of any team in 1A. Should be a good game first round. They need to find a way to seed properly. Not based off the coaches poll and from coaches who have zero clue/idea/ (thought its not their fault)

Reactions: mylameusername
The fact that Saint Albert is a 7 seed is absolutely laughable. Hands down the toughest schedule and conference of any team in 1A. Should be a good game first round. They need to find a way to seed properly. Not based off the coaches poll and from coaches who have zero clue/idea/ (thought its not their fault)
I agree with you on CB SA, but this seeding process is definitely better than using straight up records (wins/losses), which is how they did it until last year. That's why CB SA got an 8 seed 2 years ago.

Man that bottom half is some tough sledding. If the champ comes out of that, they will have earned it. Sure seems like NL got an easier path, guess we'll see.

The GVC CBSA game will be a good, tough first round match-up.

I know at this stage of the season it's tough to see any team bounced in the first round - they've all earned their place at the show. However with CB and GV likely playing two of the toughest 1A schedules it will be unfortunate to see either one of them out that early. Though my guess is the other 6 voting coaches won't be too disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT