ADVERTISEMENT

1 for sure, 1 possible new teams

roosterk

Freshman
Oct 25, 2014
With Collins Maxwell - Baxter no longer sharing sports next year, Baxter has already been okayed to play 8 player next year. With CVC dropping out last fall and assuming they won't be back, it would be easy (other than travel) to slip them into that spot in D4.

Collins Maxwell seems to be undecided yet on sharing or going at it alone. Colo-Nesco is close, possible share and state lets them stay 8 player for a season? Then on their own in 2018 or continue to share and become 1a? (If CM shares anything I think it would only be football)

A D6 team likely is going to be struggling for numbers with 6 returners, wait and see if that spot opens up? Doesn't seem like a good plan.

Put CM in D5 and let it have 9 teams and have to have week 0 games but some of D5 already has week 0 games scheduled but are due to CVC dropping out so wouldn't need to played to get every one 9 games.

Put both in D5 and bump HLV or Tri-County into CVC spot? Really messes with non district schedules.

I'm kind of liking Baxter to CVC spot, kind of unfair, but they got approved first so get first spot available that makes sense for everything but travel. CM gets into D5, D5 plays week 0, 4 district games, one team other than CM is off. Week 1-2 schedules stay the same, CM is off those weeks. Remaining D5 team get 1 off weeks 3-9. Location of all district games(excluded CM) would be same as already scheduled, dates would change.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
On second thought, moving HLV or TCT east wouldn't mess up non-district games as much as I thought. HLV/TCT would play CVC schedule. Baxter and CM would take the one each of HLV/TCT non-district games week 1 & 2. Baxter would take HLV/TCT spot in the schedule. CM would get worked in.

CM & Baxter would have 2 off weeks, everyone else in D5 would only have one off week. Week 0 would have 4 district games.

Found another article say Collins Maxwell AD or Principals said they can play with an area 11 player school but hasn't said who. JH playing 8 player this fall regardless and will Varsity 2018 if not 2017, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the route they choose because it would be the least expensive. Give themselves little more time to get the equipment and the field ready.

If I was with the Association I'd be asking the HLV coach if they'd be willing to move to D4 and play what was supposed to be CVC's schedule, to let Baxter in to D5 this year and play HLV's schedule and drop some or all week zero games.

Last edited:
Do you think moving HLV to D4 would mess up D4 teams that scheduled a week zero game?

Not having any kids that play football, I'm glad I won't have to worry about the travel involved if Baxter ends up in D4. Tuesday night away games for basketball will be bad enough in their new conference.

BTW, I haven't heard anything about where they'll land for football.

Drop all week zero games, no need for them as everyone would have 9 games without them.

HLV switching would eliminate the need for them (assuming CM plays 11 player with someone else this fall) HLV replaces CVC in the 2016/2017 schedule, Baxter replaces HLV , the i big issue is, D4 is way tougher than D5 so is HLV (to help Baxter travel cost willing to take one for the state/Baxter) HLV won't make the playoffs in D4, they have a chance in D5. As a coach/school would anyone give up?

SICL (South Iowa Cedar league) rejected Baxter from joining the conference.

Last edited:
So IMO Baxter get ready to do some driving and take CVC spot and play every game away.

There has been some speculation that Sidney could possibly return to 11 man with the additional enrollment from the dissolution of the Nishna Botna district. They received a good portion of the Farragut students and Hamburg signed an agreement that they would send their 9 thru 12 students to school at Sidney. While Hamburg stayed a K thru 8 school district. Will just have to wait and see how the numbers work out at the next redistricting period.

I just heard last night that Baxter will be playing as an independent and not eligible for the playoffs next year. Evidently the state isn't going to put them into a district until the redistricting after next season.

So, they can schedule, on their own, as many games as they can get. I haven't heard school names, but evidently they have 7 games scheduled with 3 of them at home.

I guess that kind means they are taking CVCs spot because only D4 has any off weeks and has 7 teams.

I would think they could also pick up a week 0 game fairly easily if the state would allow someone else 10 games. And there's still the D6 team that unless can find some more players will have a tough time fielding a team so maybe Baxter can get a week 1 & 2 game from the south.

Last edited:
That could very well be. I also know their goal was to get at least 2 home games, even if they couldn't get a full 9 games schedule. That would give them a Homecoming and Senior/Parents night. Anything past that is a bonus.

FTR, I don't "know" this is what will happen. But, I was talking to one of the football coaches from this previous season and he was filling me in on stuff. It could very well look different by the time fall practice starts.

Probably seals the deal that Collins Maxwell won't be playing a varsity schedule in 8 player this year if association isn't willing to reschedule. They could play Baxter twice weeks 1-2, and maybe a week 0 game, they would have to hope another team in the state drops out for any more varsity games.

I doubt finding JV games would be much easier. Maybe some from D6. I know some teams end up canceling some JV games towards the end of the season but would be on short notice to sub for them.

I wouldn't expect CM to play football next year, at least on their own. They might be able to do a short term sharing, maybe a 1 year exemption with one of the nearby schools. But based on what I've heard recently, I'm thinking football by themselves is out for next year. Long term they very well could, but I'd be surprised if they can next year. It involves financial, logistical and numbers, not sure they can overcome all of that in, realistically, 3-4 months. 2018 would be far more likely for them.

I might be surprised, but it isn't sounding good at the moment for next year.

I haven't seen a schedule, but I saw a note today that Baxter is playing a full, independent 9 game 8man schedule next year. Still haven't heard for sure what C-M is doing.

I'll bet C-M high school is going to share with who ever already offered, their JH will start 8 player this year.

In 8-player until a team drops there is nobody left to play on Fridays after week 0 assuming Baxter is playing these 9 teams.

West Central Maynard 8-25 (5 home/4 away)
Clarksville 9-1 (5 home)
English Valley 9-8 (5 home)
Iowa Valley 9-15 (4 home)
Lone Tree 9-22 (4 home)
Midland 9-29 (4 home 1 neutral)
Waco 10-6 (5 home)
Springville 10-13 (4 home)
Easton Valley 10-20 (4 home 1 neutral)

Just listing the teams available from IHSAA website.

Last edited:
3 hours to Easton Valley, 2.5 hours to Maynard and Wyoming, Wayland 2:05, 1:45 to Lone Tree, Springville & Clarksville. Iowa & English Valley's 1:15.

My guess is they will be traveling to Iowa Valley, Lone Tree, Midland, Springville & Easton.

I could see a couple of the others requiring Baxter to drive to them as well, West Central and Waco maybe. If Waco does the home season could be over quick.

The Midland/Easton Valley neutral site game mess up their home game count so not sure how they'd handle that, guess it's up to them if they want to travel or make Baxter.

In speaking with our football coach recently he said District 8 would most likely lose one team, Charter Oak-Ute and possibly a second (ARWEVA) due to lack of numbers. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Not football related, but I see that both Collins-Maxwell and Baxter will be joining the Iowa Star Conference. And they'll most assuredly be in the same division. That could get awkward.

Yeah, it will. Based on the number of returning athletes, in most of the sports either one side or the other will have a massive advantage.

Ex. In basketball, the Baxter boys team has almost all of the returning varsity players. Their Top 8 this year all go to Baxter. CM only has 1 returner that even dresses varsity, he barely plays, and theyll have trouble fielding a full team. The CM boys might be the worst team in the conference next season. Baxter should win quite a few games.

The girls team is almost a straight reversal. Most of the returning varsity players go to CM. Baxter has 1 returner, but she at least starts. My daughter plays JV for Baxter but barely plays, she might start Varsity next year. They won't be as ugly as the CM boys, but won't be good either.

Baxter looks to have a full football schedule depending on if the play Collins-Maxwell. C-M has said they will also play an 8 man schedule. I am surprised looking at that roster. They do not return 1 starter and will only have 4-5 upper classmen. Baxter should have a fairly solid team depending on how they do with the transition. They will return 5 or 6 starters and a couple all district players. I know they are working on trying to get some home games this season until the new districts happen in 2018. I know they are frustrated they will not be eligible for post-season but still trying to make the best of a tough situation.

Almost all of the CMB coaches were from Baxter so I am not sure how that will all play out. It could be fun to see how the CMB offense will play out for Baxter 8 man. Spread no huddle. The rest of this season will be a challenge as things have begun to get tougher for both districts. There is still track and baseball-softball before the split happens.

I believe that Baxter will try and field all current sports teams in house except for possible wrestling and soccer. The numbers for everything else look good enough to field teams in the Iowa Star.

Reactions: SSG T
I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of 8 man, but you guys have always done well in the 7 on 7 camps, even against bigger schools, so I'd think it would at least somewhat translate. Also having at least 1 fantastic OL will help.

And the #s thing is right. Per BEDS, CM is slightly bigger, but it looks like they don't have the numbers for participation, particularly from the boys side. I know the current SO class in CM is heavily weighted towards girls, it's like 22/7 girls/boys. The Jrs are a bit more even, not sure how the Fr are. I know basketball is similar in that it's heavily weighted towards Baxter kids. IIRC, there were 11 Fr/So out for football last year and most were from Baxter. I think there were 11-12 Jr, but I don't remember how those split between the schools.

Only if a current 8 player team drops will they find any Friday night games after week 0, so maybe they will start planning JV season and pickup some V games if someone else comes up short of players. Don't think Colo has a week 0 game that would seem like a easy one to schedule if the state allows it.

Mormon Trail (D6) only returned 6 players last year, but got a 4 more to go out, they did have to forfeit a couple games and have 6 returners again. My guess is the coach will have a team meeting at the end of the school year, but won't make the decision till after a week or 2 of practice incase they other players get a few more out again or new people move into the district.

Charter Oak-Ute has 10 returners off a 4-5 season, ARWEVA has 14 returners off a 8-3 season, I think they'll both field a team.

Quick count I think there's over 15 teams returning 15 or less players. HL-P(12-1) only has 17, Coon-Rapids (8-1) 18, most of teams towards the top 8 are in the mid 20s.

I think Charter Oak Ute has dropped fro the 2017 season. I have heard CM has picked up some of there games. Without knowing much about 8 man, I would wonder if they could field a full schedule or if they would be better playing a JV schedule.

I believe Baxter is playing Colo-Nesco in week 0. It seems the 8 man districts are much more unstable from year to year. But it is a much better option for Baxter to still be able to field a team than have to go somewhere else to share.

Clapper is really really good. Also have a very good QB and 3-4 nice WR skill kids. I think they will score a lot of points.

A quick search found Charter Oak Ute had a public meeting in December about whole grade sharing. HS sports often goes along with that. That's what happened to Harmony in 2014, they announced early enough that it didn't affect district alignment.

CVC last year is the only one I recall dropping after redistricting to mess up the schedules and create the week 0 games last year and this.

How many of the 18 returning JR's are at Baxter, anytime you have 8-10 SRs you have a good shot at being a solid team. Last year's roster only list 1 FR and 1 SO, assume they just don't list all the players like most 8-player teams do. Are you going to have good number down there too?

I'm not sure of the split with the Jr's other than more are from Baxter. There were 11 total Fr/So out last year and I think 3 of the 11 were from CM, the rest from Baxter. The SO listed is an All state lineman, the FR was, I think, the JV QB, but can also play RB/WR, he's quick and athletic. Both are from baxter.

I didn't get the whole scoop, so I don't know all of the teams. However, it looks like Baxter will have 3 home games next fall and one is evidently English Valleys. I don't know dates or the rest. I'm guessing EV's lost game was an away game?

Ideally this would be Baxter schedule. All teams I think would have 5 home and 5 away.

Colo-Nesco 8-17
West Central Maynard 8-25
Clarksville 9-1
English Valley 9-8
@ Iowa Valley 9-15
@ Lone Tree 9-22
@ Midland 9-29
Waco 10-6
@ Springville 10-13
@ Easton Valley 10-20

I have no idea who plays 8 man in our area. what teams would gladbrook reinbeck be playing in '18 when they switch. DB, Janesville?

Gladbrook is right in the center between current district 2, 3, & 5. 2 & 3 were 7 team districts this go around so Gladbrook could get pulled North. Teams close South would be Baxter, Collins-Maxwell, Colo-Nesco, Meskwaki, HLV, Iowa Valley, Tri-County and English Valley. D4 ended up being a 7 team district as well. I could see 2 & 3 remaining exactly the same. Gladbrook, CM & B would join with 4 or 5 teams from D5. D4 stays same plus maybe taking one East team out of D5 to get to 8. Remaining D5 southern teams shift west.

All depends on how many schools come down or drop out. 2 in so far and maybe 2 out so steady at 61. 62 if Gladbrook joins so would still need 2 7 team districts. I imagine there will be at least 2 more dropping out/sharing so maybe 60 teams and 4 7 team districts, 2, 3, 4 & 5.

Has Gladbrook officially made the decision? Beds look like it will be 120 next redistricting, but drops under 110 the following year and below 100 after that.

Quick look at some of the lower Beds in Class A I noticed Lynnville-Sully & Winfield Mt Union could drop down.

North Mahaska will be at 119 but under the following 4 years, so might be allowed.

Anyone know of any others I'm sure I missed some?

DISTRICT #2

AGWSR, Ackley
Clarksville
Janesville
North Iowa, Buffalo Center
Northwood-Kensett
Riceville
Jackson Junction

DISTRICT #3

Central City
Central, Elkader
Don Bosco, Gilbertville
Dunkerton
Kee, Lansing
Tripoli
West Central

At first glance it seems odd the GR is dropping down after 2 straight championships, 20+ game winning streak.

But I see you only have 15 FR & SO on the team, class sizes are dropping to low 30s, I guessing JH numbers are struggling as well?

At first glance it seems odd the GR is dropping down after 2 straight championships, 20+ game winning streak.

But I see you only have 15 FR & SO on the team, class sizes are dropping to low 30s, I guessing JH numbers are struggling as well?

Yes they are. It wasn't and easy decision. Being unable to field a JV team doesn't do anyone any good. Freshman and Soph kids getting their heads kicked in week in and week out doesn't help the kids or the program

Yes they are. It wasn't and easy decision. Being unable to field a JV team doesn't do anyone any good. Freshman and Soph kids getting their heads kicked in week in and week out doesn't help the kids or the program

How much of an effect is the possible district dissolution having on participation?

Ideally this would be Baxter schedule. All teams I think would have 5 home and 5 away.

Colo-Nesco 8-17
West Central Maynard 8-25
Clarksville 9-1
English Valley 9-8
@ Iowa Valley 9-15
@ Lone Tree 9-22
@ Midland 9-29
Waco 10-6
@ Springville 10-13
@ Easton Valley 10-20

Here's their schedule..

So Charter Oak-Ute must definitely be out to open St. Mary on 9/1.

Nice that Springville is coming to your place.

I like that there's a mix of bad, decent and good teams. I was concerned they'd end up with a bunch of similar strength opponents. I could see a couple of easy wins, a couple of toss ups and 1-2 blow out losses. But it's a good enough mix to give them a solid taste of district ball for the following year.

I think it was mentioned above, but it's also nice a bunch of them are from the same district. It gives them some comparisons to make to some of the other teams.

Actually Collins Maxwell just hired a AD and it's Troy houge. They have been cleared to also play eightman next year. If they can find a coach if they can't find a coach most likely go with Ballard but not positive on the Ballard. Oh also they weren't be playing Baxter the school board voted to remove that game because to emotional game. Baxter going independent for the first year. In football for 1 year in eightman.

So we have...

*Baxter taking Cedar Valley Christian's district opponents (except Iowa Valley), plus 1 CO-Ute game (RSM) and 1 Mormon Trail game (E. Union). They fill out the 9-game slate with West Central, which should give WC 10 games.

*Collins-Maxwell has a 7-game schedule -- 5 from CO-U, 1 from MT (Wayne) and Easton Valley (so EV doesn't have to play Midland twice).

From Mormon Trail's schedule:
Moravia and Murray will play each other
Wayne plays Collins-Maxwell
Baxter plays East Union
No word on Clarinda Academy, Bedford, Lamoni, Lenox and Stanton

From Charter Oak-Ute's schedule:
Ar-We-Va, Boyer Valley, CR-Bayard, Glidden-Ralston and Audubon will all play Collins-Maxwell
RSM will play Baxter
West Harrison will play Woodbine
River Valley will play Siouxland Christian-Whiting
No word on CC-Everly

From CMB's 2A schedule (all games in Week 0):
Nevada and West Marshall play each other
North Polk and Roland-Story play each other
East Marshall plays E-B-F
Saydel plays Colfax-Mingo
A-P plays Jesup
Dike-NH has a road TBA listed
No word on South Hardin