ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Dowling vs. #2 Waukee

Waukee OL vs Dowling DL - Dowling all the way
Waukee WRs vs Dowling DBs - lean Dowling (Jacobsen is the only receiver that worries me because of height)
Waukee DL vs Dowling OL - tossup (Tweeten and Nelson are good, but they also gave up 41 points last week)
Waukee DB vs Dowling WRs - tossup. Waukee lost all of last year's secondary and Dowling lost Magruder, Gafford, Steenblock and Palmer

IMO, Waukee wins this if their defense can exploit any offensive weakness Dowling has. Otherwise, Dowling wins by default.

This post was edited on 9/8 3:25 PM by DSMan

Dowling has very good special teams. That can mean scores, but often enough field position. Dowling beat Xavier in week one with a lot of emphasis on field position. Waukee might be able to move the ball ahead on the ground. That can limit the time the Dowling spends on the field in offense mode. If Waukee doesn't win the battle of time of possession, then the defensive backfield will not hold up to Dowling's offense. If Waukee can run straight ahead, and this is Week 3 so offense line play should be starting to gel, then look for a very close win.

Execution in Week 3. Waukee needs to keep the big plays away from special teams and from offensive passes. Dowling needs to have enough run punch to keep the passing game productive.

I don't think that Dowling's defense has yet had the challenge equivalent to Waukee.

Good luck to both teams. The loser will learn a lot for later and winner may have to play a few too many cards when considerin a playoff matchup.

Interesting matchup (thank you Captn Obvious right?) - after watching Waukee play SEP last Friday, all I can think of is Rocky Balboa - they kept taking shot after shot from SEP and just stood there and said "come on", and then delivered the knockout punch of their own to win it.

Whereas I get the sense that Dowling is like Ivan Drago, waiting, punching enough to win, but not releasing the entire flurry until the coach in the corner turns them loose and they then proceed to launch an assault and death blow to Apollo Creed. (sorry, Rocky marathon last weekend)

Even though Rocky wins in the movie, I don't know if Waukee can stand toe-to-toe with Dowling and take as many punches as they did against SEP and stay standing. Plus, I'm not sure if its by design or lack of necessity, but I don't think Dowling has "unleashed" Ryan Boyle yet this season. (9 rushing attempts per game this year vs. over 14 last season)

Great matchup between (at this stage) the best two teams in the state - but Dowling's defense will slow down Waukee's offense (

No way is Regina better. If you looked just at the starters, last year's Regina could maybe hang with this year's Dowling. But Regina's defense isn't even close to as good as it was last year and, so far, they're missing Dixon more than some people expected. Brinkman has very quietly put up solid numbers, but he's been dinged up and definitely hasn't been the same threat as a receiver that Dixon was.

Regina better worry about Solon and Xavier first. Oh wait, Regina already lost to Solon...guaranteed loss to Xavier.

You better return back to your 8-man board, or whatever weak class Regina competes in.

Just seems like Scott Carlson seems to come up short in big games for Waukee. I think the guys wearing the head sets are the difference in this one. Dowling wins by a touchdown.

Waukee gave up 350 yards in game 1 to a very average Valley offense with a new sophomore QB. They gave up nearly 400 yards to a SEP offense that was totally shut down by Johnston.

Dowling has shown nothing yet on offense, but it is there.

I look for this game to be a Dowling blow out.

This game will hinge on two things:

1) Dowling's ability to slow down Trevor Allen and make them throw more than they want to and put pressure on Waukee's QB to make plays. If they can run Allen all night, Waukee can run clock and shorten the game.

2) Ryan Boyle...if he has a big game running the ball, making plays with his feet, finding open receivers after extending the play etc., I like Dowling's chances.

Great primer for these two teams for a rematch later in the season come playoff time!

@RedAgentRadar

If Solon can beat Regina then Solon is probably better than Dowling too.

But Regina is still better than both. They just felt like throwing their rivals a bone and ending all this win streak nonsense so they could get back to beating up on over matched and less-properly funded 1A programs.

If this was two years ago Regina could be competing with Top 4A schools, but they are now on the downhill like Solon after Morris, Loveless, and the Sleepers all graduated.

@GoHawks2009

Xaiver over Solon 28-0
Solon over Regina 29-28
Xavier loses to
Dowling 24-2
Dowling over Waukee (4A #2) 45-14

Your Regina > Dowling jab was brilliant, huh

Agree; they should stick to their overmatched/under funded Class A teams

Originally posted by RedAgentRadar:
@GoHawks2009

Xaiver over Solon 28-0
Solon over Regina 29-28
Xavier loses to
Dowling 24-2
Dowling over Waukee (4A #2) 45-14

Your Regina > Dowling jab was brilliant, huh

Agree; they should stick to their overmatched/under funded Class A teams
1A teams. They won't be moving down to A for another 4 years.

And yes, it was a brilliant jab. Because it's true. If Dowling played Regina they'd lose by 10. Transitive property doesn't work if you're trying to show how Dowling is better. It only works one way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT