ADVERTISEMENT

Year End Top Performers Central and West 4A

Sep 24, 2016
Throughout the course of the 2016 season I attend games each and every week and had the pleasure of seeing and experiencing great Iowa High School Football at the 4A Level as a spectator without bias. The following lists represent players that have made an impression on me, in most cases I watched them play live, some multiple times. In addition to live viewing I used “ word of mouth” from other fans, coach's and players, in addition I utilized Quik Stats and Hudl. Players names, graduation year and stats came directly from Quik Stats, I apologize in advance for any inaccurate information, I tried my best. Also remember this is all in fun and not intended to slight anyone or any team, this really became more difficult than I ever expected, there are so many good players to pick from I almost deleted the list in fear of leaving great players off.

I will close by saying some Really Good Teams are not heavily represented even though those teams could win the State Championship! A handful of teams I seem really balanced with very good players ( a coach’s dream) but may not have the standout performer and/or the players played half the snaps due to lopsided scores which made it hard to evaluate.

With that said here is my List;

4A Football Central & NW “ Season’s Top Performers”

OFFENSE

What a group of talented weapons, needless to say this group can make a coach the happiest man alive or keep him awake at night if you have to defend against them.

Quarterbacks;

Hawkins (SR. Ankeny) What a great season leading his team into the playoffs and winning the District. Ended the season throwing for 1745 yards and 21 TD, combine that with an overall QB Rating of 184 there is no doubt Hawkins in one of the top QB’s in Iowa 4A. Like many of the Top Performers he can hurt you with both his feet and legs as Urbandale found out in their final game.

Lombardi ( SR Valley) The guy flat out wins and has over his entire career. Has a high completion percentage 61% and seldom makes bad throwing decisions ( only 2 picks in 134 attempts) . Lombardi is also blessed with a great QB’s body, has the height and strength to stand in the pocket and deliver the throw. Will be greatly missed at Valley by both fans and coaches. Great Career!

Duggan ( Soph CBLC) I got to see this young talent twice this season, left Urbandale game thinking WOW he’s got 2 more years! Accurate passer 180 QB Rating with a lot of zip on the ball, dangerous with his feet as his arm. This young QB throws the deep ball with pinpoint accuracy. When looking at his stats I learned CBLC only played 8 games due to a cancellation ( when comparing stats to others)

Backs;

Baker ( Soph CBTJ) Size, Speed & Strength is how one coach described this talented running back. Ends the regular season in 3rd place in rushing 1255 with over 9 yards per touch. Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to see Baker play this year but look forward to seeing him next year. Like Duggan another player we get to enjoy for 2 more years.

Zachary ( SR Dowling) over 900 rushing yards with 9 yards a touch. People may say he has the best line in HS to run behind, I say “SO WHAT” you try and stop him! He’s a headache waiting to happen at 6-1 225 and when teamed up with the next guy on the list they form one of the best 1-2 punches in the state.

Deskin (SR Dowling) I will catch hell for having 2 Dowling players on the list, but it’s my list. Power and Speed is how I describe Deskin. Over 9 yards a carry and 910 rushing yards with a long of 80 yards. Easy to see why Dowling is still the team to beat.

Mason ( Jr Valley) Ok my plan was only 3 backs but how the hell do I leave Mason off this list! Mason is a dual threat back that racked up close to 800 yards on the ground and another 300 receiving while finding the end-zone 19 times. With that said screw it, I’m having 4 backs on my list.

Receivers:

Mosley (Jr Fort Dodge) One of the top receivers in the State, has the speed to get to the end-zone ( 7 times with a long of 78 yards) . Top tier receiver in both catches 1st in 4A and total yards 4th in 4A while averaging 11.7 yards a reception He’s a young man I didn’t get to see however his stats are very impressive and had to be on this list.

Flemister ( SR. SC East) Did someone say SPEED! This kid has jets and can torch you running the ball or catching it as a receiver, if he gets a step he’s gone you won’t catch him. Has 1269 yds between running back and receiver ranking him 6th in total offense. Like Hill ( Ankeny) a dual threat player.

Jefferson ( Jr. DSM Hoover) Nice open field speed, good route runner. 6th in the state in receiving yards (689) with a staggering 18+ yards per catch. Another performer that can take it to the house with every touch.

Linemen: Sorry you all look good to me and it’s hard to see from the stands what’s happening in the trenches. It would be a dis-service to even try and pick the best of the best. I can tell you you’re critical to your teams success and you hardly ever get any love, doesn’t seem fair! Remember at the end of the day “the girls love the linemen and that’s really all the matters”. Each player on this list should thank you for helping them make the list.

Defense

My selections include a host of Juniors which include the “Top Tackler” in 4A Football, & the “Leading Sacker” in 4A Football along with a player attracting D-1 attention. Beyond those feats throw in a group of players that are blessed with Power & Speed and high football IQ … With all that you get my “Top Performers Defense"

Morrison ( Jr. Waukee 6-3 195 DE) Good pass rusher despite being on the lighter side, finds a way to get to the QB with 6.5 sacks on the year and 11.5 Tackles for Loss. Can also catch the ball on the offensive side when needed. Expect big things from him next year as he puts on more size.

Wiggins ( Sr. Waukee 6-3 240 DT ) Dowling had 2 players make the Offensive Backfield I guess Waukee can have two on the D-Line. Team Leading tackler on a Quality Defense, has a great frame for a HS Tackle. Excellent at penetrating the backfield, top 10 statewide in Tackles for Loss and throw in 5 QB sacks. Easy to see how Wiggins made the list.

Theobald ( Jr. CBLC 6-2 230 DE) 4A’s State Leader in QB Sacker (11.5) and 3rd in Tackles for Loss ( 21.5) Like Duggan these stats are in 8 games SC EAST shows cancelled. Watched CBLC play 2 games ( Ankeny & Urbandale) Theobald had 9 Tackles for loss & 6 Sacks in just those games along, that a season for most! Combines Speed/Strength/Size with a high motor.

Waggoner (Jr. Dowling 6-5 225 DE) Long arms, speed to the edge and great leverage. Does an excellent job of staying home and letting the play come to him then makes the tackle. Will continue to get better as his body fills out and he gets stronger. Like the others on the list Waggoner found a way to get to the QB with 6 sacks and 10.5 Tackles for Loss. Yet another Junior I get to watch again next year. From what I understand has attracted D-1 attention and rightfully so.

Baugher ( Jr. Ankeny 5-11 190 OLB) 4A’s Sate Leader in Tackles (101) Yes folks another Jr. and this one wakes up wanting to tackle! I had an opportunity to see Baugher play on two separate occasions, not sure he missed a single tackle either night BTW he also gets into the backfield recording 10 TOL and throw in 2 sacks as well.

Coleman ( Sr. Ames 6-0 190 OLB) One of the state leaders ( 5th) in overall tackles (85), not afraid to come up and fill the hole ( 5.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks)) , has the speed and size to stop ball carries from getting the extra yards. Also a good cover guy recording 2 picks on the season. Very athletic. Was also used on specials Kick-Return.

Naba ( Sr. Valley 6-0 255 DT) Naba is all about power, penetrates the backfield recorded 18 tackles for loss and Bull Rushes you on the pass 4.5 sacks. Team leader with 30+ tackles, if you want to be competitive with Valley it starts by controlling Naba

O’Hara ( Sr. Dowling 6-1 225 MLB) Tough Willie is the kind of guy you want playing the inside on your team. Great flow to the ball, his size and speed separates Willie from others I watched play this year. He’s one of those guys that gets off the bus and you just know he’s the real deal. Over 50 tackles on the year with 8.5 happening in the backfield then throw in 3sacks and you have one heck of a good D-Player.

Jackson (Jr. DSM Roosevelt 6-0 200 OLB) Anyone that records 85 tackles with 9 for loss and 5 QB sacks deserves a place on my list! Oh btw he also recorded 2 picks. One of 4A’s top tacklers Jackson a Junior has another year to display his talents

SPECIALS

Specials/Offense/Defense ( All around ATH can play either side effectively, these guys are a coach’s dream)

Hill (Jr Ankeny) This kid is electrifying and like Walling ( DSM East) you get out of your seat when he touches the ball. Tied for the State Lead in TD’s (10) and a staggering 19.3 yards per catch. Hill not only has front end speed he also has the moves to make you miss in open space. In addition to his offensive numbers he returns punts and kick-offs and finds the end-zone on specials. I got to see Ankeny play 2 times and he didn’t disappoint!

Rosenquest ( Sr. Newton 6-0 180 OLB) Check out these numbers, 55 tackles with 22 for a loss, now throw in 6 QB Sacks and a pick. So you want some offense how about 640 on the ground with 6 plus yards a touch and throw in 7 TD’s. This one’s a no brainer.

Koemer ( Sr Dowling) If you need a punt returned this is your guy! Over 18yds per try while taking one to the house and oh by the way he’s not bad on defense either. One of Dowling’s top tacklers and at the top in 4A in Picks (4). Kind of a Mr. Everything for the Maroon.

Milewsky ( Jr Urbandale) Another “Mr. Do Everything” excellent punt returner, led the team in tackles (68) and had a pick and if that’s not good enough he had 4 fumble recoveries. Yet another Junior.

Pinegar ( Sr. Ankeny Cent 6-3 195) Quality player on both sides of the ball, 640 yards with his feet and you better not throw his direction on the defensive side he’ll pick your pocket, State Leading (5) picks on the year

Kicker/Punter

Hahn (Sr Valley Kicker HWT & WGT does not matter he’s a kicker) Hahn is a kick-off Teams best friend, you seldom need to make a tackle. Not only does he have a thunder foot he also is accurate hitting 54% on FG with a long of over 52 yards. If I ever coach kickers I want Hahn!

Williams (Jr. SE Polk Kicker) Super accurate kicker, batted 100% on FG ( 11 for 11) with a long of 42 yards, remarkable accuracy for a HS Kicker.

Rademacher (Sr Ames Punter HWT & WGT does not matter he’s a punter) this senior kicked for a 40 + average and close to 1300 yards. Young man go ice that foot, you deserve it!

Player of the Year

Rory Walling (Sr. DSM East 6-0 207) Promise me when you’re done reading this you’ll go watch Hudl and visit Quik Stats. This guy is electrifying and one of the State’s top players on either side of the ball. Walling end the season as the top rusher in 4A Football (1,662) yards, top total offense (rushing and receiving) and scored 27 TD’s. In addition on defense he ends the season 4th in overall tackles (95) . What a talent and joy to watch, you will be missed.

Team of the Year

Ankeny Cent.
I love this team! They have so many good players and do what's needed to win. I think they may have got lost in the moment in their 1 defeat... remember you heard it here first! What out for Ankeny Cent.

no Jacob Hummel? He doesn't have that many tackles - but he's also not on the field as often.

I struggled with both Hummel and Bell from Dowling. As you fairly stated the minutes and limited playing time really impacting their stats. The kid is a freak blessed with both speed and strength at 220 pounds.
Out of respect for Mr Hummel and DSMan I am adding Hummel to the list. Will officially update it tomorrow

What about my player and team of the year DSMan? I think we may have a new champ this year named Ankeny Cent! and what about Walling and what he accomplished!

Walling is pretty impressive. Especially when you consider he doesn't have an o-line full of superstars.

as for centennial, my view on them is what the herd thinks of Iowa.

Impressive list, glad to see Flemister from SC East make it... See us Heelan Fans still route for the other SC Team/Players

Flemister ( SR. SC East) Did someone say SPEED! This kid has jets and can torch you running the ball or catching it as a receiver, if he gets a step he’s gone you won’t catch him. Has 1269 yds between running back and receiver ranking him 6th in total offense. Like Hill ( Ankeny) a dual threat player.

After viewer input I've added a player to the defensive and corrected a mistake I had made involving the Pinegar brothers from Cent. I appreciate letting me know of my error. Correction and addition can be found under Defense

OFFENSE

What a group of talented weapons, needless to say this group can make a coach the happiest man alive or keep him awake at night if you have to defend against them.

Quarterbacks;

Hawkins (SR. Ankeny) What a great season leading his team into the playoffs and winning the District. Ended the season throwing for 1745 yards and 21 TD, combine that with an overall QB Rating of 184 there is no doubt Hawkins in one of the top QB’s in Iowa 4A. Like many of the Top Performers he can hurt you with both his feet and legs as Urbandale found out in their final game.

Lombardi ( SR Valley) The guy flat out wins and has over his entire career. Has a high completion percentage 61% and seldom makes bad throwing decisions ( only 2 picks in 134 attempts) . Lombardi is also blessed with a great QB’s body, has the height and strength to stand in the pocket and deliver the throw. Will be greatly missed at Valley by both fans and coaches. Great Career!

Duggan ( Soph CBLC) I got to see this young talent twice this season, left Urbandale game thinking WOW he’s got 2 more years! Accurate passer 180 QB Rating with a lot of zip on the ball, dangerous with his feet as his arm. This young QB throws the deep ball with pinpoint accuracy. When looking at his stats I learned CBLC only played 8 games due to a cancellation ( when comparing stats to others)

Backs;

Baker ( Soph CBTJ) Size, Speed & Strength is how one coach described this talented running back. Ends the regular season in 3rd place in rushing 1255 with over 9 yards per touch. Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to see Baker play this year but look forward to seeing him next year. Like Duggan another player we get to enjoy for 2 more years.

Zachary ( SR Dowling) over 900 rushing yards with 9 yards a touch. People may say he has the best line in HS to run behind, I say “SO WHAT” you try and stop him! He’s a headache waiting to happen at 6-1 225 and when teamed up with the next guy on the list they form one of the best 1-2 punches in the state.

Deskin (SR Dowling) I will catch hell for having 2 Dowling players on the list, but it’s my list. Power and Speed is how I describe Deskin. Over 9 yards a carry and 910 rushing yards with a long of 80 yards. Easy to see why Dowling is still the team to beat.

Mason ( Jr Valley) Ok my plan was only 3 backs but how the hell do I leave Mason off this list! Mason is a dual threat back that racked up close to 800 yards on the ground and another 300 receiving while finding the end-zone 19 times. With that said screw it, I’m having 4 backs on my list.

Receivers:

Mosley (Jr Fort Dodge) One of the top receivers in the State, has the speed to get to the end-zone ( 7 times with a long of 78 yards) . Top tier receiver in both catches 1st in 4A and total yards 4th in 4A while averaging 11.7 yards a reception He’s a young man I didn’t get to see however his stats are very impressive and had to be on this list.

Jefferson ( Jr. DSM Hoover) Nice open field speed, good route runner. 6th in the state in receiving yards (689) with a staggering 18+ yards per catch. Another performer that can take it to the house with every touch.

Linemen: Sorry you all look good to me and it’s hard to see from the stands what’s happening in the trenches. It would be a dis-service to even try and pick the best of the best. I can tell you you’re critical to your teams success and you hardly ever get any love, doesn’t seem fair! Remember at the end of the day “the girls love the linemen and that’s really all the matters”. Each player on this list should thank you for helping them make the list.

Defense

My selections include a host of Juniors which include the “Top Tackler” in 4A Football, & the “Leading Sacker” in 4A Football along with a player attracting D-1 attention. Beyond those feats throw in a group of players that are blessed with Power & Speed and high football IQ … With all that you get my “Top Performers”

Jake Pinegar ( Jr. Ankeny Cent 6-3 195 ) Jake was a mainstay on the defensive side of the ball finishing 2nd in Picks (4A) along with a fumble recovery. Pinegar got my attention on the defensive side of the ball however he also contributed with 4 catches on the offensive side highlighted with a 58 yard TD. Great Size at the H.S. level and has the body to add additional weight on his 6-3 frame. Only a Junior folks.

I must also do a special shout out to his brother “Hunter” who carried the rock for 640 yards at 6.7 a clip, I just recently learned that there’s 2 Pinegars on the team which explains why Pinegar never needed a restJ Hats off to both you guys, one of the best brother combos in central/western Iowa.

Hummel ( Sr. Dowling 6-2 220 OLB) Strong and Physical is how I would describe Hummel. Despite not getting a ton of field time ( Check out Dowling Scores) he still recorded 40 tackles with 5.5 for loss along with 2 QB sacks and 1 pick ( once again in limited minutes). He’s another player you should watch on Hudl ( over 4k views) he plays with a high motor and flows hard to the ball, the guys is all over the field.

Morrison ( Jr. Waukee 6-3 195 DE) Good pass rusher despite being on the lighter side, finds a way to get to the QB with 6.5 sacks on the year and 11.5 Tackles for Loss. Can also catch the ball on the offensive side when needed. Expect big things from him next year as he puts on more size.

Wiggins ( Sr. Waukee 6-3 240 DT ) Dowling had 2 players make the Offensive Backfield I guess Waukee can have two on the D-Line. Team Leading tackler on a Quality Defense, has a great frame for a HS Tackle. Excellent at penetrating the backfield, top 10 statewide in Tackles for Loss and throw in 5 QB sacks. Easy to see how Wiggins made the list.

Theobald ( Jr. CBLC 6-2 230 DE) 4A’s State Leader in QB Sacker (11.5) and 3rd in Tackles for Loss ( 21.5) Like Duggan these stats are in 8 games SC EAST shows cancelled. Watched CBLC play 2 games ( Ankeny & Urbandale) Theobald had 9 Tackles for loss & 6 Sacks in just those games along, that a season for most! Combines Speed/Strength/Size with a high motor.

Waggoner (Jr. Dowling 6-5 225 DE) Long arms, speed to the edge and great leverage. Does an excellent job of staying home and letting the play come to him then makes the tackle. Will continue to get better as his body fills out and he gets stronger. Like the others on the list Waggoner found a way to get to the QB with 6 sacks and 10.5 Tackles for Loss. Yet another Junior I get to watch again next year. From what I understand has attracted D-1 attention and rightfully so.

Baugher ( Jr. Ankeny 5-11 190 OLB) 4A’s Sate Leader in Tackles (101) Yes folks another Jr. and this one wakes up wanting to tackle! I had an opportunity to see Baugher play on two separate occasions, not sure he missed a single tackle either night BTW he also gets into the backfield recording 10 TOL and throw in 2 sacks as well.

Coleman ( Sr. Ames 6-0 190 OLB) One of the state leaders ( 5th) in overall tackles (85), not afraid to come up and fill the hole ( 5.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks)) , has the speed and size to stop ball carries from getting the extra yards. Also a good cover guy recording 2 picks on the season. Very athletic. Was also used on specials Kick-Return.

Naba ( Sr. Valley 6-0 255 DT) Naba is all about power, penetrates the backfield recorded 18 tackles for loss and Bull Rushes you on the pass 4.5 sacks. Team leader with 30+ tackles, if you want to be competitive with Valley it starts by controlling Naba

O’Hara ( Sr. Dowling 6-1 225 MLB) Tough Willie is the kind of guy you want playing the inside on your team. Great flow to the ball, his size and speed separates Willie from others I watched play this year. He’s one of those guys that gets off the bus and you just know he’s the real deal. Over 50 tackles on the year with 8.5 happening in the backfield then throw in 3sacks and you have one heck of a good D-Player.

Jackson (Jr. DSM Roosevelt 6-0 200 OLB) Anyone that records 85 tackles with 9 for loss and 5 QB sacks deserves a place on my list! Oh btw he also recorded 2 picks. One of 4A’s top tacklers Jackson a Junior has another year to display his talents

SPECIALS

Specials/Offense/Defense ( All around ATH can play either side effectively, these guys are a coach’s dream)

Hill (Jr Ankeny) This kid is electrifying and like Walling ( DSM East) you get out of your seat when he touches the ball. Tied for the State Lead in TD’s (10) and a staggering 19.3 yards per catch. Hill not only has front end speed he also has the moves to make you miss in open space. In addition to his offensive numbers he returns punts and kick-offs and finds the end-zone on specials. I got to see Ankeny play 2 times and he didn’t disappoint!

Rosenquest ( Sr. Newton 6-0 180 OLB) Check out these numbers, 55 tackles with 22 for a loss, now throw in 6 QB Sacks and a pick. So you want some offense how about 640 on the ground with 6 plus yards a touch and throw in 7 TD’s. This one’s a no brainer.

Koemer ( Sr Dowling) If you need a punt returned this is your guy! Over 18yds per try while taking one to the house and oh by the way he’s not bad on defense either. One of Dowling’s top tacklers and at the top in 4A in Picks (4). Kind of a Mr. Everything for the Maroon.

Milewsky ( Jr Urbandale) Another “Mr. Do Everything” excellent punt returner, led the team in tackles (68) and had a pick and if that’s not good enough he had 4 fumble recoveries. Yet another Junior.

Kicker/Punter

Hahn (Sr Valley Kicker HWT & WGT does not matter he’s a kicker) Hahn is a kick-off Teams best friend, you seldom need to make a tackle. Not only does he have a thunder foot he also is accurate hitting 54% on FG with a long of over 52 yards. If I ever coach kickers I want Hahn!

Williams (Jr. SE Polk Kicker) Super accurate kicker, batted 100% on FG ( 11 for 11) with a long of 42 yards, remarkable accuracy for a HS Kicker.

Rademacher (Sr Ames Punter HWT & WGT does not matter he’s a punter) this senior kicked for a 40 + average and close to 1300 yards. Young man go ice that foot, you deserve it!

Player of the Year

Rory Walling (Sr. DSM East 6-0 207) Promise me when you’re done reading this you’ll go watch Hudl and visit Quik Stats. This guy is electrifying and one of the State’s top players on either side of the ball. Walling end the season as the top rusher in 4A Football (1,662) yards, top total offense (rushing and receiving) and scored 27 TD’s. In addition on defense he ends the season 4th in overall tackles (95) . What a talent and joy to watch, you will be missed.Team of the Year

Ankeny Cent.
I love this team! They have so many good players and do what's needed to win. I think they may have got lost in the moment in their 1 defeat... remember you heard it here first! What out for Ankeny Cent.

DSMan I'm looking fairly smart in my Team of the Year Pick:)

When you don't have anyone playing it's easier to see a team from what they really are, I said in the original post, "you heard it here first"

before next Friday Night I will tell you all who wins the title.

Last edited:
I'm starting to believe in you predictions... so you're announcing before this Friday or waiting to see who is in the finals?

I've got Centennial over Dowling 35-31 and Washington over ICW 27-17
And bold prediction I have Washington winning it all over Centennial 14-10

I'm sure you've all been waiting for me to tell you who this years State Champ will be ( kidding of course on you all anxiously waiting).

As you may recall I picked my "Team of the Year" Ankeny Cent. and with that caught some flack from the likes of my good buddy DSMan. With that said, this years State Champ will be Ankeny Cent.

They may not have the superstars but from top to bottom they don't have many weaknesses either.

Time will tell if my predictions holds true.

Also the ALL State teams should be released soon, I'm once again predicting many from my Top Performers list will be recognized as ALL STATE Performers ( list is below)

A special thanks to all the teams, players, coaches and fans for a fabulous entertaining season. I had the privileged seeing some great teams, players and games this year, you truly gave me something to look forward to all week long.
CYA next year;

DSM SPORTS FAN

1. OFFENSE

Quarterbacks;

Backs;

Receivers:

Defense

My selections include a host of Juniors which include the “Top Tackler” in 4A Football, & the “Leading Sacker” in 4A Football along with a player attracting D-1 attention. Beyond those feats throw in a group of players that are blessed with Power & Speed and high football IQ … With all that you get my “Top Performers”

Jake Pinegar ( Jr. Ankeny Cent 6-3 195 ) Jake was a mainstay on the defensive side of the ball finishing 2nd in Picks (4A) along with a fumble recovery. Pinegar got my attention on the defensive side of the ball however he also contributed with 4 catches on the offensive side highlighted with a 58 yard TD. Great Size at the H.S. level and has the body to add additional weight on his 6-3 frame. Only a Junior folks.

I must also do a special shout out to his brother “Hunter” who carried the rock for 640 yards at 6.7 a clip, I just recently learned that there’s 2 Pinegars on the team which explains why Pinegar never needed a restJ Hats off to both you guys, one of the best brother combos in central/western Iowa.

Hummel ( Sr. Dowling 6-2 220 OLB) Strong and Physical is how I would describe Hummel. Despite not getting a ton of field time ( Check out Dowling Scores) he still recorded 40 tackles with 5.5 for loss along with 2 QB sacks and 1 pick ( once again in limited minutes). He’s another player you should watch on Hudl ( over 4k views) he plays with a high motor and flows hard to the ball, the guys is all over the field.

SPECIALS

Kicker/Punter

Player of the Year

Rory Walling (Sr. DSM East 6-0 207) Promise me when you’re done reading this you’ll go watch Hudl and visit Quik Stats. This guy is electrifying and one of the State’s top players on either side of the ball. Walling end the season as the top rusher in 4A Football (1,662) yards, top total offense (rushing and receiving) and scored 27 TD’s. In addition on defense he ends the season 4th in overall tackles (95) . What a talent and joy to watch, you will be missed.Team of the Year

Ankeny Cent.

Last edited:
2 people I really like from the east are jack Roussel (Hempstead) and William Blaser (western Dubuque) I'd love to see somebody make a list like this for the east side

I agree it's a great idea, I am going to find someone to do 3A Next Year. It needs to be someone that goes to a lot of games in order to see the different teams play. I live where both 3A and 4A teams play and enjoyed reading about the different players on the list.

I'm sure you've all been waiting for me to tell you who this years State Champ will be ( kidding of course on you all anxiously waiting).

As you may recall I picked my "Team of the Year" Ankeny Cent. and with that caught some flack from the likes of my good buddy DSMan. With that said, this years State Champ will be Ankeny Cent.

They may not have the superstars but from top to bottom they don't have many weaknesses either.

Time will tell if my predictions holds true.

Also the ALL State teams should be released soon, I'm once again predicting many from my Top Performers list will be recognized as ALL STATE Performers ( list is below)

A special thanks to all the teams, players, coaches and fans for a fabulous entertaining season. I had the privileged seeing some great teams, players and games this year, you truly gave me something to look forward to all week long.
CYA next year;

DSM SPORTS FAN

1. OFFENSE

Quarterbacks;

Backs;

Receivers:

Defense

SPECIALS

Kicker/Punter

Player of the Year

Ankeny Cent.
If you want to see a kid that loves to hit I'd prefer you go give Jacob Durkin's highlights a look. He led Bettendorf in tackles, was named sr defensive MVP and was just a force on the field for the bulldogs this year. I know he's on the east side of the state but still give him a look, you won't be disappointed.

Yes he was on both my "Mid-Year and Year-End Teams. I would expect to see most of the players listed below on the post season teams including ALL-State Team(s). With that said I also know once you get sports writers involved it can get very jaded and a popularity contest voting for your local kids ( sad and unfair for the players).

We also need to add the east side talent to this list for the all state selections.

OFFENSE

Quarterbacks;

Backs;

Receivers:

Defense

SPECIALS

Kicker/Punter

Player of the Year

Rory Walling (Sr. DSM East 6-0 207) Promise me when you’re done reading this you’ll go watch Hudl and visit Quik Stats. This guy is electrifying and one of the State’s top players on either side of the ball. Walling end the season as the top rusher in 4A Football (1,662) yards, top total offense (rushing and receiving) and scored 27 TD’s. In addition on defense he ends the season 4th in overall tackles (95) . What a talent and joy to watch, you will be missed

Last edited:
DSM Sports Fan please read my rant below, I'm hoping you will give me/us your honest opinion. You watch games without having kids play and you claim you see different teams play throughout the year. Were you surprised by the selections? I also know you live in Des Moines and don't go east to watch, you're opinions are central and west. Living in Sioux City it seems like 4A (West Side) gets overlooked. I have seen 3 of the 4 kids below play ( all were on your list) makes no sense to me, am I all wet?

The entire process needs explained, I follow both 3A and 4A and 100% from the Westside so all I can speak about with any knowledge is West Players

The 4A appears to be all about Des Moines Schools. I think DSM Sports Fan did a great job evaluating without prejudice throughout the season, I would love his take on this. Maybe next year we could use him to visit the east side as well and get rid of sports writers who lack the knowledge to pick! DSM Sportsfan you up to the challenge?

.How do you leave a kid off the list that's was at the top of the state in passing (Duggan) and QB rating or how does Flemister from East not make 1st team? They pick Baker (TJ) on 2nd team defense vs offense... really sports writers?

What about Theobald who was Iowa's sack leader and I think state leader in TFL ( according to Sportsfan)..like Duggan both were left off any teams? How can that be, what are they using to pick these guys?

These are a few from the Westside that DSM Sportsfan called out, sure there are more:(

Is this really about who goes the deepest in the playoffs? What are they using to pick the teams, obviously stats are not used?

I have less problems in 3A, when thinking about it it's probably because few if any Des Moines Teams play 3A. I am sure the east side feels the same way.

the entire process needs explained and evaluated. Get people voting that understand the game, we owe it to the players.

DSM Sports Fan please read my rant below, I'm hoping you will give me/us your honest opinion. You watch games without having kids play and you claim you see different teams play throughout the year. Were you surprised by the selections? I also know you live in Des Moines and don't go east to watch, you're opinions are central and west. Living in Sioux City it seems like 4A (West Side) gets overlooked. I have seen 3 of the 4 kids below play ( all were on your list) makes no sense to me, am I all wet?

The entire process needs explained, I follow both 3A and 4A and 100% from the Westside so all I can speak about with any knowledge is West Players

The 4A appears to be all about Des Moines Schools. I think DSM Sports Fan did a great job evaluating without prejudice throughout the season, I would love his take on this. Maybe next year we could use him to visit the east side as well and get rid of sports writers who lack the knowledge to pick! DSM Sportsfan you up to the challenge?

.How do you leave a kid off the list that's was at the top of the state in passing (Duggan) and QB rating or how does Flemister from East not make 1st team? They pick Baker (TJ) on 2nd team defense vs offense... really sports writers?

What about Theobald who was Iowa's sack leader and I think state leader in TFL ( according to Sportsfan)..like Duggan both were left off any teams? How can that be, what are they using to pick these guys?

These are a few from the Westside that DSM Sportsfan called out, sure there are more:(

Is this really about who goes the deepest in the playoffs? What are they using to pick the teams, obviously stats are not used?

I have less problems in 3A, when thinking about it it's probably because few if any Des Moines Teams play 3A. I am sure the east side feels the same way.

the entire process needs explained and evaluated. Get people voting that understand the game, we owe it to the players.

I had an opportunity to review the 4A Picks and to be honest some came as a surprise. A handful of players not making any of the three teams left me scratching my head in disbelief, I literally went though names again searching thinking I overlooked someone! I have had the opportunity to see many of these boys play, in some cases I've watched them play multiple times. What I can't do is compare them to players from the East Side of Iowa, that said I'm not sure how the writers do that either. I hope anyone casting votes study tapes and review quik stats before casting a vote. When I recently put my "Year-End Top Performers" team together I spent over 20 hours researching before ever finalizing the team, I needed to justify it in my mind as I know how important it is to the players picked and I wanted to do my best not to leave anyone out. My point in all this is I can say I tried my best agree with my pick or not I put time and effort into each selection.

I will comment on the players you called out and give you my perspective as it appears that's what you're asking of me. Once again keep in mind I did not see any of the young men from the east play so keep that in mind.

Duggan LC; I did not expect him to make the 1st team, I watched him play 3 times this past year and would have had him on 3rd for sure and possibly 2nd team ( depending on what's on the east side) Funny as I am writing this his photo is on "Iowa Preps" for getting offers from Iowa, Iowa State and South Dakota as a sophomore. It looks like recruiters are noticing him just not Iowa Sports Writers.

Flemister SC East: strictly from the west side would have made my 1st team, he put up great numbers finishing 6th in total offense and he did this on a very average team. westside rules I know with you living in Sioux City you're big on this kid, so in my opinion he was slightly overlooked. I can live with him making either 1st or 2nd.

Baker (TJ) his numbers do not warrant him making 2nd team defense, however I didn't get a chance to see this young talent play. That being said, his numbers differently warrant him making 2nd team offense and a strong argument for first team. I would have picked Baker 2nd team offense. So change his pick from defense to offense

Theobald (LC) I got to see Theobald along with Duggan play 3 times. Regular season state sack leader and 2nd in TFl still is 1st in sacks and 3rd in TFL despite getting knocked out of playoffs early. I would have had Theobald and Waggoner on my 1st team. Theobald not making a team makes zero sense to me.

So westside rules, I'm not sure what to say other then it's not a perfect system and voters come unprepared. I am sure young players feel slighted and that's truly unfortunate. I would hope in the future the people in charge make certain those casting votes are prepared to do so.

As others have commented and it's an excellent idea, the voting needs to take place before the playoffs ever begin so everyone is on a level playing field with regards to stats ( however not sure they bothered to look at stats). Also the people in charge really do need to clarify what goes into the selections, that in itself may help people like me understand and accept the picks.

Just one mans view:)

DSM SportsFan

Last edited:
Throughout the course of the 2016 season I attend games each and every week and had the pleasure of seeing and experiencing great Iowa High School Football at the 4A Level as a spectator without bias. The following lists represent players that have made an impression on me, in most cases I watched them play live, some multiple times. In addition to live viewing I used “ word of mouth” from other fans, coach's and players, in addition I utilized Quik Stats and Hudl. Players names, graduation year and stats came directly from Quik Stats, I apologize in advance for any inaccurate information, I tried my best. Also remember this is all in fun and not intended to slight anyone or any team, this really became more difficult than I ever expected, there are so many good players to pick from I almost deleted the list in fear of leaving great players off.

I will close by saying some Really Good Teams are not heavily represented even though those teams could win the State Championship! A handful of teams I seem really balanced with very good players ( a coach’s dream) but may not have the standout performer and/or the players played half the snaps due to lopsided scores which made it hard to evaluate.

With that said here is my List;

OFFENSE

Quarterbacks;

Backs;

Receivers:

Defense

My selections include a host of Juniors which include the “Top Tackler” in 4A Football, & the “Leading Sacker” in 4A Football along with a player attracting D-1 attention. Beyond those feats throw in a group of players that are blessed with Power & Speed and high football IQ … With all that you get my “Top Performers Defense"

SPECIALS

Pinegar ( Sr. Ankeny Cent 6-3 195) Quality player on both sides of the ball, 640 yards with his feet and you better not throw his direction on the defensive side he’ll pick your pocket, State Leading (5) picks on the year

Kicker/Punter

Player of the Year

Rory Walling (Sr. DSM East 6-0 207) Promise me when you’re done reading this you’ll go watch Hudl and visit Quik Stats. This guy is electrifying and one of the State’s top players on either side of the ball. Walling end the season as the top rusher in 4A Football (1,662) yards, top total offense (rushing and receiving) and scored 27 TD’s. In addition on defense he ends the season 4th in overall tackles (95) . What a talent and joy to watch, you will be missed.

Team of the Year

Ankeny Cent.
After viewer input I've added a player to the defensive and corrected a mistake I had made involving the Pinegar brothers from Cent. I appreciate letting me know of my error. Correction and addition can be found under Defense

OFFENSE

Quarterbacks;

Backs;

Receivers:

Defense

SPECIALS

Kicker/Punter

Player of the Year

Ankeny Cent.

Can anyone update where the players on the list ended up going ( College)? Also for the underclassmen where they are looking would be helpful as well. Some I've heard but others I can't find anything on.

For example where did Walling and Zachary go? I heard Zachary was headed to USD however they do not list him on their signee list last I checked?

Last edited:
Zachary's dealing with some issues. Don't know the details for sure but sounds like it's been something he's dealt with for some time. Hope he's getting the help he needs

thanks, I'm a bit shocked by that news, thought he would be an offer guy.
Anyone know about Zachary?

I'm not 100% for certain but I believe received a # of DII offers and maybe even an offer from UNI but I don't believe he received any FBS offers. Could be wrong on that though. Great kid. Could be another good CIML alumni for ISU (Lazard, Campos, Knott, Boeson, Knott, Woody, Sandvig, etc.)

Zachary's dealing with some issues. Don't know the details for sure but sounds like it's been something he's dealt with for some time. Hope he's getting the help he needs

thanks for the update and wish him the best both in and out of Football. Any other guys on the list you can update on?

ADVERTISEMENT