ADVERTISEMENT

y

Re: Young adults with Coaching certificate New Law voted in 4/24/14

more info? I don't know exactly what you are implying.

Oops
This post was edited on 4/25 3:22 PM by cidhawkeye

Here it is. I could use a translation myself:

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/83rdGA/bills/HouseFiles/Introduced/HF2474.html

My s

This post was edited on 4/29 9:45 PM by BDOGdad

It is wildly inappropriate for your son to have a physical relationship with someone in the school as a a member of staff -- volunteer or not.

He is crossing a very questionable ethical line which jeopardizes his authority as a coach. School boards, administrators, teachers, staff, parents, players, and the press are just waiting to jump on a story like this.

Sorry for your son, but I would never hire him or have him on my staff as a volunteer if he were in an active relationship after graduating.

Reactions: obfuscating

Originally posted by \/\/arriorSoccer:
It is wildly inappropriate for your son to have a physical relationship with someone in the school as a a member of staff -- volunteer or not.

He is crossing a very questionable ethical line which jeopardizes his authority as a coach. School boards, administrators, teachers, staff, parents, players, and the press are just waiting to jump on a story like this.

Sorry for your son, but I would never hire him or have him on my staff as a volunteer if he were in an active relationship after graduating.

wait..... what?

He was upset because of the new legislation that made it illegal for his son who just graduated high school and was brought on as a volunteer coach at the high school -- and was in a relationship with a girl at the same school and was a junior.

...then he edited all of his posts.

He was upset because of the new legislation that made it illegal for his son who just graduated high school and was brought on as a volunteer coach at the high school -- and was in a relationship with a girl at the same school and was a junior.

...then he edited all of his posts.
This was a gray area for me when I graduated (2008), as well. I started a relationship with a girl from a rival school, who was a senior when I was in my freshman year of college. Then my dad took the head coaching job at that school, and I helped out as a volunteer.

It's definitely against the letter of the law, but when you're talking about pre-existing relationships, it's a little murky when you're trying to figure out if there's really anything wrong with it on a moral/ethical level.

This is just me, but what's the problem if you just stopped dating the girl? There is no way she's all that to consider putting yourself in a tough spot.

Wait a year, then date her again if she's that great.

It irks me that people honestly value a relationship with a high school girl as appropriate when you represent the school as part of the coaching staff, paid or volunteer -- you do not have personal relationships with high schoolers when you wear the shirt and are being trusted to separate yourself.

Look at all of the issues with coaches in the past with inappropriate contact/relationships with students. Absolutely filthy and disgusting.

If it's that big of a deal to keep your first high school sweet heart relationship going, go off and get married and pop babies out, but hang up your whistle and don't expect to be coaching in high school anytime soon.

It irks me that people honestly value a relationship with a high school girl as appropriate when you represent the school as part of the coaching staff, paid or volunteer -- you do not have personal relationships with high schoolers when you wear the shirt and are being trusted to separate yourself.

Look at all of the issues with coaches in the past with inappropriate contact/relationships with students. Absolutely filthy and disgusting.

If it's that big of a deal to keep your first high school sweet heart relationship going, go off and get married and pop babies out, but hang up your whistle and don't expect to be coaching in high school anytime soon.
When you're talking about an 18-year old and a 17-year old (or a 19-year old and an 18-year old), I've got a tough time seeing anything disgusting with the relationship. It's not like a late-20s/early-30s guy is in a relationship with a teenager. THAT is disgusting.

But I do think that this situation is pretty rare. Not that many kids get into coaching right out of high school; most of the ones I know picked it up after spending at least a few years in college first, usually as athletes. For those people, there is very little chance of any pre-existing relationship.

Though to be honest, I really only got my authorization so I could be on the field and practice for club baseball tryouts in the summer. I didn't take a coaching position until a couple years later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT