ADVERTISEMENT

Will Dordt out -recruit Morningside and Northwestern finally??

Schlemmer

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2017
Sioux County had 2 teams in the NAIA Football playoffs this year with Dordt from S. Center making the playoffs for the 1st time in school history, along with Northwestern ( a regular) Great coach at Dordt and culture. Have they turned the corner or 1 hit wonder??

I think that Dordt will drop some next year. They have quite a few of those good kids graduating. Plus having to see Morningside and Northwestern every year is tough.

This coaching staff is doing phenomenal things but pulling in a young man like Clayberg certainly helped their cause. If they can continue to do that as well as the NW/MSide's, they're here to stay.

I have a buddy who has a son playing for Dordt. He tells me the culture there is very good. I agree Clayberg was a huge get, but now they believe.

This Senior class will be a big loss, with only 3 eligible "super seniors" returning. You don't just replace guys like Kacmarynski, Mrazek and Clayberg, Returning will be Kabongo, Jungling and likely Placide. Julius Buchanan and Logan Fanning will also be back after missing 2020/2021. IMO, the only difference between the Dordt and NWC teams this year was QB play. Clayberg is an elite athlete, but Kooima is an elite QB who should be the NAIA POY. Dordt got some big contributions from Freshman and Sophomore players this year, so they will continue to be a strong contender in the GPAC. NWC has a TON of 5th year guys coming back next year, including Kooima, who normally would've been out of eligibility, so they should be ridiculously good again. I believe they will beat M'side Saturday.
The culture that Penner and his staff have built is nothing short of amazing. I've never seen anything like it. Those kids love each other and their coaches deeply. The Sioux Center community is buying in at a whole new level and the talented athletes they are getting from Texas, California, Georgia etc are staying all 4 years. I believe DU football is here to stay.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
Tough loss to Midland Saturday!! I'm sure they will bounce back. JV won in Fremont. I'm told Dordt has 2 punters Avg. 42 yards per punt. nice problem to have. Looking around the GPAC I mainly see 34-36 yard punting AVG. Good luck against Hasting's Sat!!

Sioux County had 2 teams in the NAIA Football playoffs this year with Dordt from S. Center making the playoffs for the 1st time in school history, along with Northwestern ( a regular) Great coach at Dordt and culture. Have they turned the corner or 1 hit wonder??
They will never out recruit Mside, but they have already come a long way... I could see them eventually squeaking out a win here and there like Northwestern.

Reactions: MsideChief
They won't out recruit Morningside but I suppose they could outdo Northwestern. A little Dutch on Dutch crime, if you will

They will never out recruit Mside, but they have already come a long way... I could see them eventually squeaking out a win here and there like Northwestern.

Heard they are putting up a ridiculously huge indoor facility with Sioux Center HS and the city. New facilities will only help recruiting.

Tough loss for Dordt Sat. I was very impressed that Dordt's JV knocked off MSide Monday night. Defense was stout, punter launched one 60 plus yards. Offense started game with a nice half-back pass. Hopefully varsity special teams will be based on merit next year/ although it may not matter.

Northwestern looks like the team to beat this year. overpowered Dordt and I would guess they beat Morningside by 10+. Northwestern is turning into an elite naia program!

NWC played a near perfect game Saturday. 0 incomplete passes and ran very effectively. Dordt played their worst game of the year defensively. That Morningside loss was an emotional crusher. Everything is lining up perfect for NWC this year. They got Kooima back just in time for Dordt and Morningside and they get both of them at home. Kooima is the difference maker. He is a once every 20 year type talent. Even being a little limited with mobility, his passing accuracy is unmatched. You don't just go pick up another guy like that. Without Kooima, Morningside would beat NWC, but with him playing, I think NWC will beat Morningside Saturday. If Kooima stays healthy for the playoffs, I think they'll get another shot at Lindsey Wilson, but will probably lose again. Grandview may have something to say about that as well. Say what you want, but Iowa small college football is about as good as it gets!

Should be a great game on Saturday between Morningside and Northwestern. Two very high scoring offenses. We'll have to see whose defense steps up. I'll take Morningside by 3.

Dordt should have beaten the Mustangs the last two years. Go back to the loss at Dordt, it wasn't so much Clayberg's interception on the 5 yard line as it was his 25 yard punt previous to that which didn't flip the field late in the game. Noah was a great player but not a great punter, Special teams coaching at Dordt needs an overhaul. In Sioux City, Dordt needed 3 yards and dropped back for a pass when their bread and butter has been the option. Those 3 yards and putting the best punter in results in 2 near misses being BIG wins. May the better team win Sat.

Dordt should have beaten the Mustangs the last two years. Go back to the loss at Dordt, it wasn't so much Clayberg's interception on the 5 yard line as it was his 25 yard punt previous to that which didn't flip the field late in the game. Noah was a great player but not a great punter, Special teams coaching at Dordt needs an overhaul. In Sioux City, Dordt needed 3 yards and dropped back for a pass when their bread and butter has been the option. Those 3 yards and putting the best punter in results in 2 near misses being BIG wins. May the better team win Sat.
Agreed. Dordt should have won both of those games, especially this year. I agreed with them going for it on 4th and 4, but the play call was terrible. That -12 yard sack was a killer. Penner has been doing the OC job this year after Mingo took the Head Coach job at Taylor. That happened in June so there was no time to bring in a new OC. It has definitely affected offensive output.

I've always said Clayberg was a great athlete, not a great QB. He was great in the option, but average with his arm. I do think he was the better option at punter last year. Koons was really inconsistent last year. Much better this year.

Agreed. Dordt should have won both of those games, especially this year. I agreed with them going for it on 4th and 4, but the play call was terrible. That -12 yard sack was a killer. Penner has been doing the OC job this year after Mingo took the Head Coach job at Taylor. That happened in June so there was no time to bring in a new OC. It has definitely affected offensive output.

I've always said Clayberg was a great athlete, not a great QB. He was great in the option, but average with his arm. I do think he was the better option at punter last year. Koons was really inconsistent last year. Much better this year.
The JV punter (Ballenger) punted better than Koons the latter part of this year. Really interesting Dordt has the 2 best punters in the GPAC. Brandon McCormick -Dordt's special teams coach- recruited Koons out of Van Meter so he was "his guy"/ Ballenger out of Council Bluffs fell into Dordt's lap/ Northwestern offered him but he liked Dordt / Ended up pushing Koons and quite frankly outperforming Koons with punts of 60 plus yards and sticking opponents on the 5 and 10 yard lines the last 3 games. I'm hearing Ballenger is getting lower level D#1 looks . I'm hearing the same about Koons. Clayberg punted because Penner wanted the ball in the best athlete's hands at all times-understandable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT