ADVERTISEMENT

Why two athletic unions ... no reason for this scam Wake up Iowans!

CBCrusader1994

Freshman
Nov 6, 2015
Time for the state superintendents to end this scam which is the Iowa High School Athletic Associations, they have the power to do so. And put these free loading IHSAA guys back into the schools ( working a real job ) where they belong. It's doubtful high school sports were meant to make these people 200k a year, with cushy retirement plans ... really , in the little state of Iowa???

We know the 'sups' love being pandered by the Boone boys , with their ' Hall of Fame' honors ( joke )
but come on ... what a waste of Iowan money and time. Since most the Boone boys decisions are based around their time, salaries, and butt kissing productions at state with little regard to anything else. While when they make a decision... it usually lacks logic and common sense.

There is no reason why Iowa is the only state that maintains separate boys and girls athletic associations. In a day and age when schools are desperate to bring in additional revenue, think of the expense savings that could be achieved by eliminating these scams and consolidating into one association, less their wasteful and ridiculous salaries. Or even go the route of Indiana and have their athletic association volunteer only ( you know the same state who's legendary high school athletic structure is the envy of the nation ).

Much of the current structure traces back to the days of egomaniacs and the scamming Bernie Saggau and E. Wayne Cooley ( heavy on that E ! ) as the top administrators (with top salaries, E. Wayne wasn't going to be under Bernie , so let's have two unions , you get one and I get one) but as all of the school districts in the state are struggling to balance their budgets, why not modernize the operational efficiencies of the athletic associations and finally move into the 21st century like the rest of the nation? finally getting rid of this outdated, wasteful, fraudulent organization. Bernie and E. Wayne are long gone, they pulled off their scam ( good job guys , and thanks ) and Iowans fell for it ... now get rid of it !

Unless they bring politics into this and have the state vote on it, it won't change. I believe Iowa is the only state with separate unions (correct me if I am wrong).

I would agree, having a separate boys and girls unions is odd and likely not as efficient.

As for rule changes, it's easy to bash governing unions, but can you name something either Union did that the schools didn't get a vote on or agree with? I am pretty sure the member schools are the ones that can ultimately push for a change.

Fees for schools. I am pretty sure the amount it costs for the schools to participate in either union is minimal.....like under $100 per year. Are you referring to the schools keeping more of the gate money from the playoff events instead of the two Unions?

Just curious.....where did you find the salaries? Are they posted?

Time for the state superintendents to end this scam which is the Iowa High School Athletic Associations, they have the power to do so. And put these free loading IHSAA guys back into the schools ( working a real job ) where they belong. It's doubtful high school sports were meant to make these people 200k a year, with cushy retirement plans ... really , in the little state of Iowa???

We know the 'sups' love being pandered by the Boone boys , with their ' Hall of Fame' honors ( joke )
but come on ... what a waste of Iowan money and time. Since most the Boone boys decisions are based around their time, salaries, and butt kissing productions at state with little regard to anything else. While when they make a decision... it usually lacks logic and common sense.

There is no reason why Iowa is the only state that maintains separate boys and girls athletic associations. In a day and age when schools are desperate to bring in additional revenue, think of the expense savings that could be achieved by eliminating these scams and consolidating into one association, less their wasteful and ridiculous salaries. Or even go the route of Indiana and have their athletic association volunteer only ( you know the same state who's legendary high school athletic structure is the envy of the nation ).

Much of the current structure traces back to the days of egomaniacs and the scamming Bernie Saggau and E. Wayne Cooley ( heavy on that E ! ) as the top administrators (with top salaries, E. Wayne wasn't going to be under Bernie , so let's have two unions , you get one and I get one) but as all of the school districts in the state are struggling to balance their budgets, why not modernize the operational efficiencies of the athletic associations and finally move into the 21st century like the rest of the nation? finally getting rid of this outdated, wasteful, fraudulent organization. Bernie and E. Wayne are long gone, they pulled off their scam ( good job guys , and thanks ) and Iowans fell for it ... now get rid of it !

They had previously posted all the salaries a long time ago on the DM Register. I assume that the Registered ruffled enough feathers that they wouldn't do it again.

Who is putting the model together that shows how the revenue makes it back to the schools? Who knows what the revenue streams are for the unions? Finding the information is difficult, how much does Farm Bureau and the other sponsors pay? And you realize that if they 'consolidate' the only change would probably be there would only be one president instead of 2. The current staff would become 'Vice President in charge of girls state tournaments' and 'Vice President of boys state tournaments' rather than one person in charge of both. Until it can be shown that the money would hit the schools there is little motivation for a change. And they could hang onto their 'we are only in it for the kid$' mantra.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
So what is the real problem here?

Is the State stealing your money? Anything else?

The belief is that by having two associations splitting the money that people/companies allocate to high school sports is unnecessary and that duplication of efforts is wasteful. In theory if the boys and girls associations each raise and spend 5 million to administer sports that a single organization could do it for say 8 million total. That would leave 2 million that could in theory stay with schools for sports. Now I am sure nobody in either organization is going to willingly give up their gravy train and that combined the expenditure will be pretty close to what it is now.

Issues that the associations, more so Boone have is the perception of secrecy, lack of responsiveness, lack of accountability, the glad handing of their own and a complete cluelessness on how they put kids through their playoff system. The person in charge of that saying 'I had no idea our system was unique' after attending a national conference was surprising. Maybe if they were a little more transparent in what they did, what their expenditures are etc people would be less skeptical.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
A trusty little Google search helped me find this on the IAHSAA.

Here are a few interesting items per the link below for the 2013-2014 year.

Top 3 Expenses
1 - Athletic Events - 38.0%
2 - Salaries/Benefits - 26.6%
3 - Depreciation - 10.0%

Top 3 Revenues
1 - Athletic Events - 71.6%
2 - Grant/Pledges - 10.0%
3 - Sponsorships - 7.0%
* - Membership Dues made up a total of $826

Pages 9-10 are pretty interesting.
http://www.iahsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2013_2014_AnnualReport_IHSAA.pdf

The belief is that by having two associations splitting the money that people/companies allocate to high school sports is unnecessary and that duplication of efforts is wasteful. In theory if the boys and girls associations each raise and spend 5 million to administer sports that a single organization could do it for say 8 million total. That would leave 2 million that could in theory stay with schools for sports. Now I am sure nobody in either organization is going to willingly give up their gravy train and that combined the expenditure will be pretty close to what it is now.

Issues that the associations, more so Boone have is the perception of secrecy, lack of responsiveness, lack of accountability, the glad handing of their own and a complete cluelessness on how they put kids through their playoff system. The person in charge of that saying 'I had no idea our system was unique' after attending a national conference was surprising. Maybe if they were a little more transparent in what they did, what their expenditures are etc people would be less skeptical.

Interesting read indeed. Going from the picture of the staff and the salary expense the average salary in Boone is $78,860. Not a bad gig when I would assume your travel expense is covered, food etc. I am assuming that some other costs for staff are stashed in the 'Association Administration' account. I never realized how much of a burden the Hall of Pride is, a great place but $34,188 in revenue and $560,717 in expenses? That is a chunk of change going the wrong way. It would be interesting to see what their actual audits look like. I wouldn't want to kill the golden goose and combine associations either. Looks like I was a little off on the 5 million revenue stream guess.

Do you feel the same about the multiple layers of administrative staff in public education in general? Or just athletics? Does every school need a superintendent, principal, associate principal, assistant to the associate principal,etc.etc.etc.??? I'm much more concerned about the overlapping layers of administrative and support staff in public education in general than what takes place in either athletic association. Iowa, by the way, is the envy of many states when it comes to high school athletics in terms of participation, championships etc. go attend the high school track and field championships in Des Moines and try to find another state that does it better. Be careful what you ask for.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Simple answer, yes. As far as track goes, do you feel the event would substantially change?

Maybe I'm not catching on to your gripe. What exactly are you upset about? That people are making money? That ticket prices are too much for state events? That schools are paying for athletics (equipment, travel, hotels, etc.)? Because combining the two associations won't end any of that.

Maybe I'm not catching on to your gripe. What exactly are you upset about? That people are making money? That ticket prices are too much for state events? That schools are paying for athletics (equipment, travel, hotels, etc.)? Because combining the two associations won't end any of that.

Do you feel that any of the money that is earmarked to pay for the duplication of efforts by having two associations would fall back to the schools? In theory it should but I have some serious doubts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT