ADVERTISEMENT

Which Players From Your Area Should College Recruiters Be Looking At?

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Since most of our favorite teams have been eliminated, and the tourney hasn't started yet, let's get a thread going on those players we've seen play this year who may be a little under the radar, but you are certain could be a big help to a college basketball team. Let's eliminate those who already have major D1 offers like Foster, Born, Duax, etc. There are some amazing players out there. Who should be on the list?

I live in the Oskaloosa area. And there are some legit players in Southern Iowa. Some of the players I have seen are Trae Swartz of Ottumwa, Blake Chance of Albia, Kiernan Nichols of Knoxville. Spence Hixson is a good shooter from Knoxville. Burlington also has a couple of nice players as well. Anothony Portray of Keokuk is another nice player.

I'm a small school coach in NW Iowa and there are some real ball players that could help some squads next year that I've witnessed play but I am pretty ignorant to any of them going anywhere.

Jackson Louscher from SO'B is going to Northwestern College I believe
Zeke Lundquist from SO'B isn't tall enough to be a big @ 6'4 in college but could develop into a solid 3/4 player
Spencer Schorg of RSM could help a team somewhere, has the intangibles, floor general
Baxter Walsch from West Sioux plays a nice game (Coppock/Lynott/Dekkers obvious college athletes there)
Klompein from Unity is a lengthy guard that can stroke
Haken & Mauldin from GLR could definitely help a roster
Helmers from Okoboji
Isaac Ihnen from HLP is a pure scorer with nice length as a guard
Garret Trapp from River Valley

There is some very solid young talent in our area as well.

Nic Coble from Waco is totally under the radar. Kid has led Class 1-A in rebounding the last two years. I was disappointed he didnt get a chance to play in front of college coaches at the state tournament.

Tucker Kinney from Dewitt Central is also under the radar, a trip to DM would have really helped him out.

Keaton Kutcher, the reason Dewitt isnt at state, of Mt Vernon is legit. I have a feeling UNI and Drake may be watching him closely in DM.

Nick Reid from Central City is an interesting prospect. Averaged 32 PPG as a junior and 28 this year.

Reactions: Sarge-82
Since most of our favorite teams have been eliminated, and the tourney hasn't started yet, let's get a thread going on those players we've seen play this year who may be a little under the radar, but you are certain could be a big help to a college basketball team. Let's eliminate those who already have major D1 offers like Foster, Born, Duax, etc. There are some amazing players out there. Who should be on the list?

Wamac/ RVC

Keegan of Beckman
Miller of Regina
Tupa of Center Point
Kutcher of Mount Vernon is fabulous
Recker of Monti
I agree on Coble, competitor

Last edited:
A player that I feel is under appreciated is Logan Shetterly of Pella. Best player on a top 4 3A team and is the point guard of the best offense in 3A. I know we give a ton of love to Austin Hilmer, but Austin Miller is another good prospect. Very athletic forward who can guard 3-4 positions at the NAIA/D3 level. The two bigs for centennial are really good too. Definitely the best front court in Iowa. I believe they are both going to high level division 2 schools

Reactions: mylameusername
I'm a small school coach in NW Iowa and there are some real ball players that could help some squads next year that I've witnessed play but I am pretty ignorant to any of them going anywhere.

Jackson Louscher from SO'B is going to Northwestern College I believe
Zeke Lundquist from SO'B isn't tall enough to be a big @ 6'4 in college but could develop into a solid 3/4 player
Spencer Schorg of RSM could help a team somewhere, has the intangibles, floor general
Baxter Walsch from West Sioux plays a nice game (Coppock/Lynott/Dekkers obvious college athletes there)
Klompein from Unity is a lengthy guard that can stroke
Haken & Mauldin from GLR could definitely help a roster
Helmers from Okoboji
Isaac Ihnen from HLP is a pure scorer with nice length as a guard
Garret Trapp from River Valley

There is some very solid young talent in our area as well.
I believe Louscher is going to Dordt and Helmers is off to Briar Cliff. Both excellent NAIA programs

Regina’s Masen Miller is going to Truman State (NCAA Division ll) to play for former Hawkeye Jeff Horner.

Miller is the best HS shooter I've seen in 30 years of Eastern Iowa basketball. Can't believe UNI or Drake didn't snag him.

Reactions: Pinehawk

Junior season highlights when he led the state in 3’s made. One of the quickest shots and best dribblers I've ever seen in high school.

Last edited:
My favorite player on the east side of Iowa for the last couple of years is Cael Schmitt, a 6-1 guard for Dubuque Wahlert. He grew almost 9 inches in the past two years! I think Cael is the last of several Schmitt boys who all played for the Eagles, and his next oldest brother (from the 2015 state championship team) was a starter/rotation player for Coe this year. Cael plays with 100% intensity, and always with a smile on his face. He's one of those spidery kids who seemingly can go two directions at once. He is a three-year starter for a team that has good guards but no height. They beat two top ten 4A teams this year, and have beaten Dubuque Hempstead and Michael Duax three of their last four games. Cael sometimes has to jump center. His dad is a long-time AAU coach from Dubuque. Cael just made 1st team all-MVC in coaches' voting, and I have no idea where he is headed for college. He had been averaging around 16- 17 points a game for Wahlert but then hurt his back against Dubuque Hempstead in late January and was out several games. When he came back healthy near the end of the season he scored 107 points in the last four games against Xavier, E. Waterloo, Mt. Vernon and West Delaware for an average of 26.8 a game. He outscored Michael Duax and Keaton Kutcher in games this year. He is cat-quick and has a motor that never stops. He is the main player against the press because of superb ball-handling skills. As nice a kid as you would ever want to meet, he'd be a college coach's dream to lead their team as point guard or shooting guard. I hope he gets a chance. Other top senior guards in my area are Cooper Medinger, a 5-9 sharpshooting bulldog for Dubuque Senior and 6-4 Jacob Schockemoehl of Wahlert, who does have some offers.

Last edited:
A player that I feel is under appreciated is Logan Shetterly of Pella. Best player on a top 4 3A team and is the point guard of the best offense in 3A. I know we give a ton of love to Austin Hilmer, but Austin Miller is another good prospect. Very athletic forward who can guard 3-4 positions at the NAIA/D3 level. The two bigs for centennial are really good too. Definitely the best front court in Iowa. I believe they are both going to high level division 2 schools
Austin Miller of North Linn took the Lynx to another level in yesterdays win against a very good West Sioux team! I heard from a source close to the North Linn community that he doesn't want to play at the next level. Too bad because kid plays with a ton of heart and hustle!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT