ADVERTISEMENT

When do official bed numbers get released?

Ran some numbers today, looking for what immediate impact the FRL adjustment made. I only looked at the top 225 schools in enrollment because I didn’t want to mess with the class A and 8 man divider with all the exemptions and teams choosing to play 11 man and what not. Here is some things that caught my attention….

1. The state average for FRL is around 40-41%. That is total students not based on average of all schools. With that said, 73 of the largest 225 schools were at 40% or greater FRL. Including 15 of the 36 5a schools.

2. Of those 73, only 12 moved down a class (all 40%+ FRL) with the help of the adjustment, which means 12 schools also moved up a class.

3. Average record of the schools who moved down a class over the last 2 year cycle was 2.8 wins vs 6.2 losses.

4. All 12 schools who moved up from their BEDS only classification (including three private schools) had a FRL less than 35%. Their average record this last cycle was 5.0 wins vs 4.7 losses. This group obviously played more playoff games.

5. I have read that Grundy Center and Van Meter bumped up a class because of their FRL number, but they would have moved up if just factoring BEDS as well.

6. The IHSAA will be watching to see if this model brings more success to programs including wins, competitive games, and participation numbers. It will be interesting to track along with them.

7. Sorry if this made 0 sense.
I haven’t looked at just BEDS, but I believe Mepo would have moved up regardless, too.

Here's my 2A prediction- see what you think!!
District 1
Central Lyon
West Lyon
Western Christian
Unity Christian
Cherokee
Sheldon

District 2
Spirit Lake
Okoboji
Estherville, LC
Garner-H-V
Forest City
Clarion-G-D

District 3
Greene County
Carroll Kuemper
Southeast Valley
West Marshall
Roland-Story
Iowa Falls-Alden

District 4
Waukon
Crestwood
Osage
NFV
New Hampton
Oelwein

District 5
Monticello
Mid Prairie
Anamosa
Jesup
Union
Vinton-Shellsburg

District 6
Camanche
Northeast, Goose Lake
Tipton
West Liberty
Mediapolis
West Burlington

District 7
PCM
Chariton
Albia
Centerville
Davis County
Central Lee

District 8
Van Meter
Des Moines Christian
Saydel
Clarke, Osceola
Interstate 35
Clarinda

Districts 1, 3, and 4 all look really strong if they would do this (especially 1 and 4).

IMO D1 would be the deepest district by far. But, geographically it would be very hard to change.

CLGLR, WL, & Western could all be top 10 teams.

Unity has a good group of young athletes and Sheldon will have one of the biggest OLs in the state.

Reactions: warriors dad
IMO D1 would be the deepest district by far. But, geographically it would be very hard to change.

CLGLR, WL, & Western could all be top 10 teams.

Unity has a good group of young athletes and Sheldon will have one of the biggest OLs in the state.
I agree that district would be tough!! That could be a situation where the 3 and possibly 4 seed would have a legitimate chance to win their 1st round playoff game against another district's top seeds. The same could maybe be said for District 4 which has five really solid teams that were in the playoffs last year!!

I was told that the IHSAA board of control is approving football districts today and they should be released tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT