ADVERTISEMENT

What is the best HS coaching job in the state?

Anywhere that the stands are full every friday night. If the fans follow it enough, the kids will work to be successful.

AP, Emmetsburg, Harlan, CBSA, DNH, are just the tip of the ice berg of great places to coach.

Valley-most bodies in the state..unlimited resources..tradition. If you divided them into two they would still be two of the largest schools in the state. No reason why they shouldn't be a top two or there team every year. But really, Valley should win state in just about every sport. They very much under-preform in basketball....wrestling.

SEP - they always seem to lead the state in tough kids. Huge school as well. They seem to have that blue collar attitude that makes good football teams...

Waukee - should be better than they are. Great facilities, big numbers..money

Give it a couple years and both Ank. Schools will be great jobs

Bett.- only dog in town, tradition

Xavier....they win a lot with small numbers so they know what they are doing

Cedar Falls- only show in town, tradition

Without a doubt it has to be Council Bluffs St Alberts. The facilities are improving, the community/alum support is outstanding and the feeder system is 2nd to none. You could put a crappy coach in there and still win.....although they have had some pretty good coaches that have them winning multiple games in the state playoffs each year.

Originally posted by BigHawk:
Valley-most bodies in the state..unlimited resources..tradition. If you divided them into two they would still be two of the largest schools in the state. No reason why they shouldn't be a top two or there team every year. But really, Valley should win state in just about every sport. They very much under-preform in basketball....wrestling.

SEP - they always seem to lead the state in tough kids. Huge school as well. They seem to have that blue collar attitude that makes good football teams...

Waukee - should be better than they are. Great facilities, big numbers..money

Give it a couple years and both Ank. Schools will be great jobs

Bett.- only dog in town, tradition

Xavier....they win a lot with small numbers so they know what they are doing

Cedar Falls- only show in town, tradition
Valley -- Agree but they do win state in football most years.
SEP -- Agree.
Waukee -- They are light years away from competing against the Dowlings and Valleys of the world.
Agree on Ankeny schools, especially with Coach Pezzetti sticking around.
Bett -- Agree but Pleasant Valley (which is within the Bettendorf city limits) also siphons some football talent.
Xavier -- Dowling (my alma mater) and Xavier benefit from a strong Catholic educational system, great resources and a slight recruiting advantage over public schools.
Cedar Falls -- Same as Bettendorf and won't have to share any more students in CF now that Northern University High School has closed (at least it's scheduled to close).

I would add Dowling to the list for the reasons I posted above and subtract Waukee for the same reasons above.

Iowa City Regina- Great fan base, tradition, and kids that are willing to put in major work in the off season and do what the coaches tell them, as a result multiple titles.

I kind of disagree on Regina just because of the fact that it hasn't been established as long as others mentioned, yes I think that it is now a great job, but I also think that it is a great job because of the the work that Coach Evans, and Coach Cook put into making it the program that it is today, for many years Regina didn't have a winning football program, that isn't something you can say about a Valley or a Dowling, CF, or Bettendorf. Yes most of these are great places because of a coach who built it up from little or nothing but most are established more than Regina at this point.

4A
Valley
Dowling
Bett
CF
Ankeny (I think both situations are still really nice)

3A
Decorah
Pella
Clear Lake
Harlan
Grinnell
Heelan
Solon

2A
Beckman
Kuemper
Spirit Lake
BH/Rv
West Marshall
New Hampton

1A
AP
DNH
Regina
IKMM
St. Alberts
West Branch

A
Madrid
Wapsie
Newman
NT
Lisbon
WACO
LoMa

8man
I really don't follow 8 man so these are guesses but
Lenox
HLV
MMC
Newell Fonda

I am sure I missed some, and some of these are the "new" examples I have talked about but these are schools that have 1. Commitment to winning 2. Money 3. Football Knowledge 4. Good Coaching

I agree with you on most of your picks PNation but I do not agree that WB is one of the best HS coaching job in the state. They have had a knack for losing big regular season/playoff games in the past, they do not put the right players in the right positions and they do not use their talent the right way. Most losses of WB in the past have been due to coaching errors. I was surprised that Emmetsburg was not in the list.

WEST HANCOCK!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

- The key reason is they have FEARSOME EAGLE BEASTS ROAMING AROUND TO WORK WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Rebuilding is not an option; only RELOADING!!!!)

Originally posted by Iron Doc:

WEST HANCOCK!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

- The key reason is they have FEARSOME EAGLE BEASTS ROAMING AROUND TO WORK WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach Sanger has to deal with so many unruly fans though
tongue.r191677.gif

Originally posted by PNation:

Originally posted by Iron Doc:

WEST HANCOCK!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Coach Sanger has to deal with so many unruly fans though
tongue.r191677.gif
Not us! We are ALL model citizens! PILLARS OF SOCIETY, I tell you!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Harlan- No question. 12 state titles, do I need to say more? Look at the back of the t-shirts, Harlan has tradition like no other school in the state. Not to mention, Merrill Field is seeing improvement as the school is raising funds in order to install artificial turf, new lights, new bleachers, and a possible video board. It is also jammed packed EVERY Friday night. Coach Bladt has built the best program in the state, no question.

Originally posted by PNation:
4A
Valley
Dowling
Bett
CF
Ankeny (I think both situations are still really nice)

3A
Decorah
Pella
Clear Lake
Harlan
Grinnell
Heelan
Solon

2A
Beckman
Kuemper
Spirit Lake
BH/Rv
West Marshall
New Hampton

1A
AP
DNH
Regina
IKMM
St. Alberts
West Branch

A
Madrid
Wapsie
Newman
NT
Lisbon
WACO
LoMa

8man
I really don't follow 8 man so these are guesses but
Lenox
HLV
MMC
Newell Fonda

I am sure I missed some, and some of these are the "new" examples I have talked about but these are schools that have 1. Commitment to winning 2. Money 3. Football Knowledge 4. Good Coaching
Not to be picky but West Lyon should be listed......

Let's put a twist on this - what is the best job to take over? Some of those mentioned would come with some ungodly expectations... (no offense to the private schools).

Some people would want a school that has had little success so that they are looked at as the one who turned it around

Originally posted by pribs36:
Iowa City Regina- Great fan base, tradition, and kids that are willing to put in major work in the off season and do what the coaches tell them, as a result multiple titles.
Iowa City Regina. I agree. Great facility. Great location in Iowa City with access to the University of Iowa and those connections. Great families, great academics.

4A
1. WD-Valley
2. Dowling
3a. Ankeny (Before the split)
3b. Southeast Polk (After the Ankeny Split)

3A
1. Heelan
2. Harlan
3. Decorah

2A
1. BH/RV
2. Kuemper
3. New Hampton

1A
1. Applington Parkersburg
2. CB - St. Alberts
3. Dike NH

A
1. Mardid
2. Wapsie Valley
3. Lisbon

8 Player
1. Adair Casey
2. Fremont Mills
3. Glidden Ralston

***One team that should be mentioned that was on the cusp, Solon. Left them off as they have only been in 3A a few years. Had a ton of success in 2A but if they continue their success in 3A they will be moving up the on the last shortly.
This post was edited on 5/8 4:59 PM by high90school

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT