ADVERTISEMENT

What is the best conference in the state?

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Assuming MVC is the obvious #1, what other conferences are overall the best? By class?

Siouxland is definitely one of the best 1A/2A conferences and one could make a very good argument that they are the best at that level. Lots of state championships in both 1A and 2A from that conference the last 15 years or so. Plus you can even add in a 3A title with MOC-FV. It is a typically deep conference that usually guarantees for some regular season battles and a couple close losses for even the best teams. This has just proven to get Siouxland teams ready for deep postseason runs. It has become rare to not see a Siouxland team competing for a state title.

I also think the Lakes conference is very strong at the 2A/3A level. I'm not sure if it is the best but is always highly competitive and has a good history of competing at the state tournament as well. The biggest knock is that it is typically pretty top heavy and may not be as deep as others, but that top usually has some great basketball teams.

From what I saw during the summer which consisted of a bunch of shootouts in NW Iowa, The Lakes Conference will be very good and maybe the best of all the conferences in the western half of the state. Not saying they have the best overall team, but hard to find a conference on this half of the state that has 3 teams that are as strong as the top 3 teams in that conference. The Hawkeye 10 may be a close second with Harlan, Kuemper and Atlantic. Lots of good basketball on the west side of the state this year just like always.

I would say the MRC is right there with the Lakes top to bottom and definitely over the Hawkeye 10. You have Council Bluffs AL and SC East that are arguably top 10 in 4A and SC Heelan and Sergeant Bluff-Luton both arguably top10 in 3A.
Then you have SC North and SC West that will be teams that can hold their own any given night.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT