ADVERTISEMENT

What game are you most excited to see this year?

To SEE: Any West Branch game.

To HEAR ABOUT: Obviously, Regina v Xavier. That is going to be an all-timer

Waterloo East @ Marshalltown...first time they'll have played each other since the Big Eight Conference disbanded(about 1988 or 1989). On top of that, I'm picking up Waterloo East alum, tylercoan, from this site and we're going to M'town to watch it.

And If East happens to win, he'll be walking back...lol

Marshalltown and Waterloo East's metro rivals of CF and West.

I was against districts initially, but I'm coming around. I think a shakeup was needed and we'll see some interesting matchups because of it.

I may need a ride back from Marshalltown!!! I hear Waterloo East is crazy filthy loaded this year.

Originally posted by BlameIt:
To HEAR ABOUT: Obviously, Regina v Xavier. That is going to be an all-timer
Great year for Regina here. They are stacked with three D1 kids and Xavier was hit very hard by graduation. Will be a great one regardless.

Regina vs. Xavier tops the list for me.

But, the Regina vs. Solon game is right up there as well. Especially with the controversy surrounding the court case.

Both games are on the road and will be tough for the Regals.

The Iowa City High Little Hawks vs. the Ames Little Cyclones game in Iowa City the night before the Iowa vs. Iowa State game is also a pretty cool idea.

I am glad to see 4A Ottumwa has renewed their series with Oskaloosa, Burlington, and Muscatine. They had one of the oldest football series in the state with Oskaloosa until they joined the CIML in 1998. I don't believe they have played either Burlington or Muscatine since the 80s when the MAC went to 10 teams.

Definitely looking forward to several Regina games. I plan on making the trip from Des Moines to see them play Solon, Xavier and Cascade. Waukee-Dowling could also be a fantastic game.

The East going to districts is going to make some incredible new matchups. This year is going to be fun! They are still conference for everything else, so the comparisons will begin! May the best teams win. I still like the city/area games, where David has a chance to beat Goliath.

This post was edited on 7/30 9:58 PM by EastIowaHawk

The best part of 4A going to districts is that the state was able to create some crossover games from East and West. And thinking about it now, this will make Brent Moore's computer rankings a lot more accurate, now that there isn't going to be a seperate grouping for all the conferences.

28 days from today people...

28 days 'til football!!!
This post was edited on 7/31 10:48 AM by screwloose

Originally posted by screwloose:
The best part of 4A going to districts is that the state was able to create some crossover games from East and West. And thinking about it now, this will make Brent Moore's computer rankings a lot more accurate, now that there isn't going to be a seperate grouping for all the conferences.

28 days 'til football!!!
as accurate as, say, the 2012 1A final rankings (after the state title game) in which he had a 2 loss Emmetsburg team #1 and the state champion Regina Regals #2?

28 days 'til football!!!
as accurate as, say, the 2012 1A final rankings (after the state title game) in which he had a 2 loss Emmetsburg team #1 and the state champion Regina Regals #2?
So the best team always wins and will win 100% of the time if the game was played multiple times?

Iron Doc gets the drift somehow that it may be about 4 weeks until football starts. (But he might be mistaken.)

Originally posted by Soya:

28 days 'til football!!!
So the best team always wins and will win 100% of the time if the game was played multiple times?
Regina was the best team. It's not like that's the only time his computer rankings have been way off. I really can't figure out why people around here put so much stock into them. They're a lot worse than the BCS was, and when was the last time anyone was happy with those rankings?

Originally posted by tm3308:
Originally posted by Soya:

28 days 'til football!!!
Regina was the best team. It's not like that's the only time his computer rankings have been way off. I really can't figure out why people around here put so much stock into them. They're a lot worse than the BCS was, and when was the last time anyone was happy with those rankings?
I can think of at least 11 sets of fanbases that appreciated the BCS rankings........fwiw.

And I think there's a certain troll factor to BCMoore's rankings. People put stock in them...because it gets under people's skin when they do. Every time someone cites BCMoore you'll get a person saying "You can't triple stamp a double stamp! You can't triple stamp a double stamp! LLOYD!! LLOYD!!"

Just sayin.

Originally posted by tm3308:
This is a bit off-topic, but the BCS takes a lot of unwarranted heat from football fans. All it was intended to do was to identify the top two teams at the end of the season, so they could meet in a bowl game (before 2007) or the BCS championship. I went over the 16 seasons that was in effect, and I don't think it was all that bad.

In my opinion, in 8 of those 16 years, the BCS got the best two teams. In four other years, there was a big logjam of teams with similar records, and the BCS probably could have done a better job of sorting those out. In only four seasons out of 16 did the BCS utterly fail. Again, in my opinion. So yeah, the last time I personally was happy with the BCS rankings was, well, last year. I think they got Florida State-Auburn right.

If anybody is interested in seeing my breakdown, I put it on my blog at thirdandamile.blogspot.com.

As to BC Moore's rankings ... it's all computer numbers getting crunched, and points scored vs. points allowed. If that shows a 2012 Regina state championship team ranked below someone else, well, that's the result of the formula. Obviously Regina won the title on the field, it's just that Emmetsburg's scoring numbers looked better to the computer than Regina's.

Besides, I don't see anybody (BC Moore included) claiming the IAHSAA should use his rankings in place of the playoffs, and just skip the postseason games and hand out the trophies based on the computer. It's just another data point, another source of information, another fun thing to look at and talk about.

I think the Iowa City West at West Des Moines Valley game should be interesting. Cedar Rapids Xavier at West Des Moines Dowling as well.

Basically, any "cross-state" game in 4A is interesting to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT