ADVERTISEMENT

What are the rules for cutting off runners?

terrehawk

All Conference
Feb 23, 2011
There were 3 instances that I saw today where runners, from the same team in 2 different races, (I won't mention names but they were wearing green and one kid did it twice) blatantly cut off runners and impeded their progress. One was at the finish line.

From where I was sitting, it sure liked like they should have been DQ'd.

What are the rules?

I saw the instance in the 3200, where it looked like Kolacia intentionally cut that kid off to prevent that kid from taking over 4th place. We thought he should have been DQ'd too. Will be interested to hear what the official rules are.

There's no rule against running wide and pushing a kid out lanes. If you are stepping directly in front of someone you need a stride length.

I wasn't there to see, so I don't know exactly what went down. I was just throwing out two scenarios. If there was not physical contact, I am not surprised that it was not called.

What is obvious about it? In all my years of being around SE track/xc no one has ever been taught to intentionally impede other runners. That is just a ridiculous accusation.

I as a coach have seen him do the tactics in XC also, I took the oppurtunity to let the coach know for SE that I was disapointed in the Kolacia kids actions and the coach apoligized profusly, so I do believe its just an individual kid that has made the decision to run with those tactics. That being said wow those behaviors are not acceptable in running.

I cannot believe anyone would attempt to teach this. The runner cutting in front could get serious spike marks on his backside. I saw a very obvious cutoff last year approaching the finish line. The runner cutting was DQ'ed and got a nasty gash in his achilles area.

1242032359_haters-gonna-hate.gif

Hmmmmm.......looks like we have some insight on how Saint Ed's is so dominant in track!!!

Better get that kid into a confessional today for atonement....tomorrow might be too late.

(Good thing he does this in distance instead of a sprint. Doing that in a sprint might earn you spikes).

I'm curious if this was a "tactic" being used earlier in the season when SE couldn't win a track meet or if this is a special "tactic" to be used only when all the marbles are on the table.

Originally posted by ghost80:
Hmmmmm.......looks like we have some insight on how Saint Ed's is so dominant in track!!!

Better get that kid into a confessional today for atonement....tomorrow might be too late.

(Good thing he does this in distance instead of a sprint. Doing that in a sprint might earn you spikes).

Funny you should mention...Nate Kolacia had the fastest qualifying 3200 time. I'm pretty sure he didn't go to the other 7 districts and cut guys off to get that time. The Gaels are so dominant in track because they have some of the fastest runners, just like any other team.

Ahhhh...now the picture forms. Fastest qualifier yet on the day of the actual big race he's over 7 seconds behind the leader and about to drop from 4 to 5th.

In a distance event, fastest qualifier does not really mean a whole lot. You do what you have to do to get into the meet.

Originally posted by bdrube:
In a distance event, fastest qualifier does not really mean a whole lot. You do what you have to do to get into the meet.
Weather conditions can play a huge factor across the state. I was the #3 qualifier as a senior and nowhere NEAR the 3rd best runner in the state. Just so happened it was windy and miserable at districts and that didn't have as much of an effect on my fat ass as it did other people. (se xc1 can verify if he remembers back that far)
This post was edited on 5/21 11:52 AM by 5sportathlete
This post was edited on 5/21 11:53 AM by 5sportathlete

He was simply the fastest, by quite a bit. During the 3200, he apparently started cramping up with 2 laps to go.

Today, during the 1600, he paced for the first two laps at about 3rd-5th, then got into first about halfway through the third lap and didn't stop increasing his lead.

He ran a smart race and realized the pace was slow. It's been a few years since I can remember only one time under 4:30 in the 1600 in any class.

Why does the kid being cut off take it? Run the kid over that cuts you off. I beleive the rule states you need a stride and half to cut in. Too many kids just stutter step and let the guy in. And as far as moving out from the inside in the home stretch, the kid getting moved out has an elbow. Use it if need be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT