ADVERTISEMENT

West Central Conference

atomic87

Freshman
Feb 2, 2010
Can anyone challenge Des Moines Christian this year?
Seems like everyone else in the top half of the conference last year lost all of their top scorers. Could be competitive for second place but I don't see anyone coming close to the Lions this year.

I was stunned how fast DMC got out ahead of Panorama last night. It was 23-7 at the 1st quarter break, and it didn't seem to be that close.

I thought DMC would miss Van Soelen more than they did. Ben Juhl is the leader, and while his brother didn't come off the bench until later in the game, don't be surprised to see him heavier and heavier into the rotation as the season goes.

Mona and Prewitt both compliment Ben well. They might trip up somewhere in the conference, but I'm not sure where.

Tuesday's scores:
Des Moines Christian 66, Panorama, Panora 30
Woodward Academy 77, Ogden 76 (OT)
Woodward-Granger 70, West Central Valley, Stuart 69
Van Meter 53, Earlham 42
Madrid 54, ACGC 30

Impressed by Madrid's win, especially after a 26 point non-con loss the night before. Thought ACGC would be one of the more improved teams in the conference. Woodward Granger got key contributions from a couple of freshman, so they may be on the rise too.

Friday night scores:
Des Moines Christian 82, Woodward-Granger 40
Earlham 60, Madrid 31
Ogden 52, ACGC 36
Van Meter 81, Woodward Academy 38
West Central Valley, Stuart 63, Panorama, Panora 52

Saturday scores:
Ankeny Christian Academy 90, West Central Valley, Stuart 53
IKM-Manning 73, Panorama, Panora 35

Maybe there should be a new thread for this, but I'm hearing I-35 and Pleasantville are requesting to join the West Central Conference. I can see why they would want to but I don't really see how it benefits any of the current conference members that much. It's a pretty dramatic shift south and east, especially if you're coming from Ogden or Guthrie Center.

Hearing the same thing on conference expansion. Will be interesting to see if/how they split into divisions - east/west north/south or some other configuration. Seems likely, at least for basketball. I hate losing the double-round robin format for basketball but at least P'ville and I-35 would be in the top half of the conference this year according to BCMoore.

What are your thoughts on Van Meter for making a run?
They still have several games that they should be focused on as they finish the season...namely tonight vs. Ogden and then upcoming BIG games vs. Pella Christian and DM Christian. Win or lose these will be good games for them to be tested as the post-season approaches. Can't believe the regular season is almost over.

I think it's time for Des Moines Christian to join the Heart of Iowa Conference.....who only has 9 teams currently. It might be slightly smaller than a few of the schools, but it would make a lot of sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT