ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8 Matchups

ISUChip

All American
May 29, 2001
Starting to look at the RPI bubble in 5A...
CLASS 5A
Dowling (4-3) at Valley (6-1)
Ankeny (5-2) at Waukee Northwest (4-3)
DM Lincoln (4-3) at Ames (4-3)
SC East (4-3) at DM Roosevelt (4-3)
Johnston (3-4) at CR Kennedy (7-0)
Pleasant Valley (5-2) at Dubuque Senior (5-2)

District jockeying in 4A and 3A...
CLASS 4A
D1 - LeMars (2-1, 4-3) at Spencer (2-1, 5-2)
D2 - Waverly-Shell Rock (3-0, 6-1) at Western Dubuque (2-1, 4-3)
D3 - Fort Madison (2-1, 6-1) at North Scott (3-0, 7-0)
D3 - Burlington (2-1, 5-2) at Iowa City Liberty (2-1, 2-5)
D4 - Pella (2-1, 3-4) at Clear Creek-Amana (2-1, 5-2)
D5 - Bondurant-Farrar (3-0, 7-0) at Indianola (2-1, 6-1)

CLASS 3A
D2 - Nevada (3-0, 7-0) at Humboldt (3-0, 7-0)

D3 - West Delaware (3-0, 6-1) at Independence (3-0, 7-0)
D5 - Solon (3-0, 7-0) at Grinnell (3-0, 5-2)
D6 - Creston (2-1, 5-2) at Harlan (3-0, 7-0)

And more games with some playoff implications...
CLASS 2A
D2 - Pocahontas Area (1-3, 4-3) at Estherville-LC (2-2, 4-3)
D3 - Clear Lake (4-0, 5-2) at New Hampton (3-1, 4-3)
D5 - Monticello (3-1, 5-2) at Northeast (3-1, 4-3)
D5 - Anamosa (1-3, 1-6) at West Liberty (2-2, 2-5)
D6 - Mid-Prairie (3-1, 4-3) at Davis County (3-1, 4-3)

CLASS 1A
D3 - Aplington-Parkersburg (2-2, 4-3) at East Marshall (1-3, 2-5)
D6 - Cardinal (2-2, 5-2) at Pleasantville (1-3, 3-4)
D6 - Central Decatur (2-2, 4-3) at Pella Christian (3-1, 6-1)
D7 - ACGC (4-0, 7-0) at Van Meter (4-0, 7-0)

CLASS A
D2 - North Butler (5-0, 7-0) at West Hancock (5-0, 7-0)

D3 - Nashua-Plainfield (2-3, 3-4) at Hudson (1-4, 1-6)
D4 - Clayton Ridge (2-3, 3-4) at Bellevue (2-3, 4-3)
D5 - Columbus (2-3, 3-4) at Alburnett (3-2, 3-4)
D6 - Lynnville-Sully (5-0, 6-1) at Belle Plaine (5-0, 6-1)
D7 - Riverside (3-2, 5-2) at Earlham (3-2, 4-3)
D7 - Mount Ayr (4-1, 5-2) at Southwest Valley (5-0, 6-1)
D8 - Westwood (2-3, 4-3) at Tri-Center (3-2, 4-3)

8-MAN
D1 - Ar-We-Va (3-2, 4-3) at Newell-Fonda (4-1, 6-1)
D2 - Garrigan (2-3, 3-4) at Northwood-Kensett (3-2, 5-2)
D3 - Rockford (2-3, 2-5) at Tripoli (3-2, 4-3)
D5 - Easton Valley (6-0, 7-0) at Kee (6-0, 7-0)
D5 - Midland (3-3, 3-5) at Edgewood-Colesburg (4-2, 4-3)
D7 - BGM (3-2, 4-3) at Melcher-Dallas (2-3, 3-4)
D9 - Lenox (5-0, 7-0) at Fremont-Mills (5-0, 5-2)

i see harlan,s d1 prospect, will mclaughlin suited up last night, though i dont think he played...he had been in street clothes for the last 3 or 4 games.....be nice to get him back, probably soon since he suited up

Bondurant-Farrar (3-0, 7-0) at Indianola (2-1, 6-1), i like this game....should be interesting to see who comes out on top... i know indianola has a good team, but bondurant - farrar looks like legit contender

The Indianola-Bondurant Farrar game is huge in D-5. If Bondurant Farrar loses to both Indianola and Norwalk the final two weeks - certainly a possibility! - they will not get an automatic playoff berth (although they'll likely get one of the four at-larges).

Meanwhile, Indianola pretty much needs to win out (over B-F and Boone), or hope B-F loses both their remaining games, to even get into the playoffs with an automatic spot.

In D-1 if Spencer beats LeMars and Denison-Schleswig loses, Spencer is in the playoffs. LeMars needs to win both of their games, or hope Fort Dodge loses. Webster City takes the district with a win.

In D-2 Decorah wins the title if they beat Waverly-Shell Rock next week. Waverly-Shell Rock is guaranteed a playoff spot by beating Western Dubuque this Friday.

North Scott wins D-3 by beating Fort Madison. If that happens, and Burlington takes a loss, Iowa City Liberty gets the second spot with a win.

Xavier takes the D-4 title with a win. Pella, Clear Creek Amana, Newton, and even CR Washington are still in play for the second spot.

Next week's Winterset-Lewis Central game will probably decide D-6. Dallas Center-Grimes is still alive for a spot, but they pretty much have to win out (their RPI will not get them an at-large berth, I don't think).

The biggest matchup in 8 man is Kee High vs Easton Valley, just think about the drive between Preston and Lansing, long with no straight roads, but also maybe the most scenic drive ever

Reactions: IGo42
If AC/GC could pull off the upset this week, it would add a lot of interest to what currently looks like a state run cake walk for VM right now.....(I said IF, not predicting it will happen.)

Lately the close games have been in the semifinals. For some reason the finals in 1A have not been nail biters until last year. But that was clear cut who the top 2 teams were last year.

Reactions: rc1963
If AC/GC could pull off the upset this week, it would add a lot of interest to what currently looks like a state run cake walk for VM right now.....(I said IF, not predicting it will happen.)
VM will have continuous clock at some point.

Reactions: ghost80
VM will have continuous clock at some point.
I doubt it will be continuous clock. IF there is a gap it will not be as big since ACGC has a running game and a bruiser for a back. That combination is a clock killer. I am not doubting 28 points but if it would get to 35, I would say it would be fairly late in the game.

I agree, I think that Van Meter is by far the best team in 1A and don't see anyone truly challenging them, but ACGC does have similar scores to Van Meter, and impressive win over Greene County, and a clock chewing offense, to me it will hard for Van Meter to get it to continuous clock.

The Indianola-Bondurant Farrar game is huge in D-5. If Bondurant Farrar loses to both Indianola and Norwalk the final two weeks - certainly a possibility! - they will not get an automatic playoff berth (although they'll likely get one of the four at-larges).

Meanwhile, Indianola pretty much needs to win out (over B-F and Boone), or hope B-F loses both their remaining games, to even get into the playoffs with an automatic spot.

In D-1 if Spencer beats LeMars and Denison-Schleswig loses, Spencer is in the playoffs. LeMars needs to win both of their games, or hope Fort Dodge loses. Webster City takes the district with a win.

In D-2 Decorah wins the title if they beat Waverly-Shell Rock next week. Waverly-Shell Rock is guaranteed a playoff spot by beating Western Dubuque this Friday.

North Scott wins D-3 by beating Fort Madison. If that happens, and Burlington takes a loss, Iowa City Liberty gets the second spot with a win.

Xavier takes the D-4 title with a win. Pella, Clear Creek Amana, Newton, and even CR Washington are still in play for the second spot.

Next week's Winterset-Lewis Central game will probably decide D-6. Dallas Center-Grimes is still alive for a spot, but they pretty much have to win out (their RPI will not get them an at-large berth, I don't think).
Yeah you are right. The funnest thing back when my friend was back in school. Jeremy Whalen was are head coach now a assaint varsity football and wrestling for Indianola He kinda of started The winning thing at Bondurant farrar. If you don't believe me go back a check.
That was back in 2004.

I'm going to stop short of calling an upset but I think the 2A2 matchup between SEV and SL could be interesting.

Game at SL, weather conditions, a stout defense by SL, and SEV having this district championship wrapped up could mean a tougher game for SEV than they expect.

Originally thought VM might be looking at a continual clock but am agreeing with others this might not get to there (but I'm still expecting VM to clearly win). Same reasons as the others have listed and I would add that tonight will be much more like a fall night than the previous weeks and depending where you are at and style of play the weather could be a factor.

harlan vs creston, creston has 3 sophs playing defensive back against one of the best receiving corps in the state. harlans coach baldt has stated that in paper, and looks like they will attack that. creston is big underdog, and i am thinking a short night for the panthers

I'm going to stop short of calling an upset but I think the 2A2 matchup between SEV and SL could be interesting.

Game at SL, weather conditions, a stout defense by SL, and SEV having this district championship wrapped up could mean a tougher game for SEV than they expect.

Originally thought VM might be looking at a continual clock but am agreeing with others this might not get to there (but I'm still expecting VM to clearly win). Same reasons as the others have listed and I would add that tonight will be much more like a fall night than the previous weeks and depending where you are at and style of play the weather could be a factor.
Now I know SEV is in trouble....heard their biggest fan won't be on the sidelines. 😉

Regina intercepts Durant at their own 10 and go 90 yards. 5 yard QB run to make it 14-0.
6 till halftime.

Regals drive from the 20 to the 5 in the final minute and make a short FG. 17-0 at the half.

76 yard halfback pass TD Durant. 2 point conversion good. 20-8. 4:20 to go in 3rd.

SEV 14 - SL 14 in the 4th.

SL 21 - SEV 14. FINAL.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsideChief
Broadcasters saying that teams only get 1 point for a forfeit. Fairly certain that isn’t the case. Let them know Pine.

Final. 34-16. Regina over Durant. Durant played tough. Regina finishes the regular season undefeated.

watched the harlan vs creston game, got to give creston credit, they are about the only team that could run somewhat against harlan...they had some big guys on that line. harlans d1 prospect mcghlaulin, played the first half tonight..nice to see him back, coaches did not play him 2nd half, probably a bit out of shape yet from all the time he missed...he has not played since 2nd game of the yr, injury...he is a force when he is in there on defense. the game was only 28-0 with 2.50 left in game, then harlan,s offense scored on a few passes, and defense scored.... creston is solid, sort of surprised me...harlan continues with penalites, and had 4 turnovers tonight, 3 interscptions by harlans qb.....he had on 2 of them other receivers wide open, but tryed to force it into a crowd

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT