ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8 District 4 Predictions

loco60

Freshman
Sep 15, 2010
Maquoketa at Central Clinton, DeWitt
[/I]I'm thinking Central Clinton, DeWitt brings home a win at Birney Field. But it could be close as both teams are having disappointing seasons. Figure that the Sabers slice through the Cardinals in this Week 8 yawner. Injuries have figured big into the Sabers season and I don't think the Cardinals had high expectations. I hope Maquoketa travels well, it isn't too far down the road and a community is supposed to support its high school team.

Regina, Iowa City at Xavier, Cedar Rapids (ND)
[/I]Before the season this was "the game of the year", but Solon and Epworth, Western Dubuque changed all that over the course of Week 1 and Week 6. The Regina brand seems strong and on its way to another state championship. The Xavier brand has been shaken, with only two games out of seven representing stellar efforts. This is a great contest for both squads as long as they remain injury free. Regina gets to "tune" up against an opponent that should be an equal to most they will see in the playoffs, and Xavier gets a chance to see if they can have any "fire in the belly" before they really need it against the likes of 3A playoff competition. I'm picking Xavier, at home, but worry that the Saints have big trouble with strong, mobile quarterbacks that are Iowa or Iowa State recruits. Of course, Xavier has a "chance" to deal with that QB issue by keeping their offense on the field.

Solon at Epworth, Western Dubuque
Maybe not "the game of the year", but certainly the most important game in District 4 thus far this year. All the puzzle pieces should align after this game. I'm thinking that a healthy Solon goes into the supercharged confines and holds their own. If the weather turns awful, that hurts Solon and helps the Bobcats. If the weather is good, watch for Solon to throw "quick hit" passes and nullify the line strength of Western Dubuque. Solon is pretty good at big games, so if the game is close at the end I'd expect Solon to go for the victory.
[/I]
Wahlert, Dubuque at Marion
What is the solution for a former 4A program that has had to cancel four freshman games so that it's sophomores could be staffed, and reeling from three straight losses (OT against Western Dubuque, blowout against Davenport Assumption and blowout against Xavier)? Why a game against the Marion Indians at beautiful Thomas Park! The Indians are still seeking a milestone win for their coach, after goose egging it in the win column since the opener against 2A Mount Vernon. Wahlert has a big hoss of a running back but only used him for 17 carries (big average) in last game. No question that the running back gets over 20 carries if healthy throughout.

Central Clinton (Better than their record)
Xavier (Watched Xavier-Wahlert game last week. While I have not seen any of the top 5 4A schools, Xavier is easily the best/most complete team I have seen this year. I am at a total loss how West DBQ beat them, even on an off night.)
West DBQ (Easily the most interesting game in terms of quality of match-up and playoff implications. Both teams are playing really good football right now, so honestly, I view this as a coin toss.)
Wahlert

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT