ADVERTISEMENT

Week 5 Predictions - 3A District 4

loco60

Freshman
Sep 15, 2010
Dubuque Wahlert vs Epworth, Western Dubuque @ Epworth, Western Dubuque
The Golden Eagles are "golden" in 3A and nary a chance they aren't ready for this game. Playoffs might be the reward for inspired play on Friday. Okay, not having a 9th grade schedule is a drawback and a rotating calvacade of head coaches isn't ideal, but the here and now is here and now and the Catholic team from Dubuque is on a 3A roll. I'm picking Wahlert even though they are away.

Central Clinton, DeWitt vs Marion @ Thomas Park
The Sabers had their swords stripped at home against Xavier, so they'll look for redemption against the Indians. A close game against Wahlert and then a less than close game against Xavier will have the DeWitt bunch having a great practice week. The friendly confines of Thomas Park will be good tonic for the Indians, but they have to stop the big fellas in the trenches...and those big fellas are done playing former 4A schools, at least until the playoffs. Look for fewer turnovers from the Sabers and some big plays from Marion, but a Sabers close victory in the end.

Solon vs Washington @ Solon
So Pella beat Washington, Washington beat Marion, Xavier beat Solon, Solon beat Marion...so this game is really between Pella and Xavier...kind of a proxy game? I don't think so. Solon will come out with fire and Washington will be amped up too. They will be focused on playing each other and not comparative scores. Solon at home is tough to pick against, but a talented Washington QB could have the poise to steal one away. I'm thinking the Spartans topple the Demons with a little home cooking.

Maquoketa vs Xavier @ Xavier
Maybe an upset? I think that would be like three Titanic sinkings on the same night. Long odds. And it's Future Saints Night at Xavier, so there will be even more Saints than the 70+ suited up on the sidelines. Maybe the Saints scout team will give the starters good looks in practice, but I'm thinking the Saints scout team will be on the greensward pretty early against the visitors from Maquoketa. Maquoketa has been shut out twice this year on the way to scoring a total of 30 points and giving up 135. Xavier has given up 33 points on the way to scoring 129 points. I think these two teams are opposite tales.

This post was edited on 9/20 3:22 PM by loco60

This post was edited on 9/21 10:07 AM by loco60

This post was edited on 9/21 10:08 AM by loco60

Wahlert
Dewitt
Solon
Xavier (as one announcer said they are quite possibly the 2nd best team in the state-regardless of class)

Wahlert - Not going to sell this team short.
Dewitt - Score to settle from last week.
Washington - Again, score to settle. Not seeing so much from Solon.
Xavier - Strong, healthy, disciplined.

Dubuque Wahlert vs Epworth, Western Dubuque (my pick: Wahlert)
Wahlert is playing pretty good football with real progress from the QB and defensive line. Western Dubuque seems to be going sideways. Expect Western Dubuque to open up the playbook and take some risks as well as set up alot of screens. If the plays work, the game will stay close. Otherwise, Wahlert will pull away early.

[/B]Central Clinton, DeWitt vs Marion (my pick: Central Clinton)
Central Clinton is not as bad as the whipping put on them by Xavier. But the Sabers are not a team to come from behind. Get behind against someone like Xavier and they are done in by the weakness of their passing game. Marion really has not shown anything this year and I suspect they are not going to show us anything. Expect Central Clinton in a grind it out solid win.
[/B]
[/B]Solon vs Washington (my pick: Solon)
In MHO this is the most interesting game of the weekend in the district. I have not been sold on Solon, but they keep getting solid wins and I am slowly coming around on them. Given Xavier keeps whipping people, that 28-0 loss seems less and less damaging. Both teams soundly beat the common opponent, Marion. It will be close, but Solon will take them.

[/B]Maquoketa vs Xavier (my pick: Xavier)
This will get ugly early. 35 point running clock will come into play early.

[/B]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT