ADVERTISEMENT

Week 5, 4A Playoff Prognosticator...

screwloose

Varsity
Sep 27, 2002
Considering that all the fun of playoff points have now vanished like a fart in the wind, this has now been renamed. I make my prognostications by virtue of history, tradition, BC Moore Rating, Screwloose Ranking, home field advantage, tarot cards and calls to the Psychotic Friends Network. That being said, let's boogie...

As to avoid the confusion, teams are NOT bracketed. The games for each side of the state are grouped; first group are the #4 @ #1 seed match-ups, the second group are the #3 @ #2 match-ups. I don't believe the state has made official what they plan on doing in the Second Round, so there's no way of attempting to bracket without knowing who will have won in the First Round. My guess would be that winners from the first group(4/1) will be matched-up with someone from the second group(3/2), but there's no way of knowing.

DIVISION 1...
First week had two of the three main contenders facing off, with Ankeny holding off Ames 20-14. Those two, along with Southeast Polk all played Ankeny Centennial, with only Southeast Polk being able to secure a victory. However, they have to travel to both of the other main contenders, so that levels the playing field some. Sioux City North crushed Council Bluffs Jefferson win what appears to be the statement game separating themselves as at least a playoff qualifier. Des Moines East was thrashed by Southeast Polk, giving the appearance that they'll not be qualifying at year's end. However, they have four weeks to prepare for Sioux City North which could be a win-and-in situation.
PROJECTION:
D1-1: Ankeny, 4-1 / 6-3
D1-2: Ames, 4-1 / 7-2
D1-3: Southeast Polk, 4-1 / 5-4
D1-4: Sioux City North, 2-3 / 4-5
Des Moines East, 1-4 / 3-6
Council Bluffs Jefferson, 0-5 / 1-8

DIVISION 2...
First week of districts here told us basically nothing. Nobody figured Council Bluffs Lewis Central to hang with West Des Moines Dowling, and they didn't. Not a slight against them, just the way it is. And the fact that Dowling has lost a game when they looked invincible, probably renewed their focus, which will be bad for everyone else. Sioux City East continues to win, although they probably got a little more than they bargained for from Des Moines Roosevelt this last weekend. Johnston did what everyone has been doing to Des Moines North, which is not good.
PROJECTION:
D2-1: West Des Moines Dowling, 5-0 / 8-1
D2-2: Johnston, 4-1 / 7-2
D2-3: Sioux City East, 3-2 / 7-2
D2-4: Council Bluffs Lewis Central, 2-3 / 6-3
Des Moines Roosevelt, 1-4 / 3-6
Des Moines North, 0-5 / 0-9

DIVISION 3...
Division 3 looks like Division 1 in many ways. Two teams seem clearly better than the rest, three are in the middle and one is overmatched. West Des Moines Valley beat what looked like a vastly improving Des Moines Hoover team, 55-13. Ankeny Centennial did a similar number to Sioux City West. In the 16th President Bowl, Council Bluffs(Lincoln) beat Des Moines(Lincoln). Question here is where is the cut off after Valley and Centennial, as the next three all appear relatively close.
PROJECTION:
D3-1: West Des Moines Valley, 5-0 / 8-1
D3-2: Ankeny Centennial, 4-1 / 7-2
D3-3: Council Bluffs Lincoln, 3-2 / 5-4
D3-4: Des Moines Hoover, 2-3 / 5-4
Des Moines Lincoln, 1-4 / 2-7
Sioux City West, 0-5 / 0-9

DIVISION 4...
Seems to be a clear cut top four here. Waukee put down Marshalltown pretty hard and considering they split with the West Des Moines schools, they have to be the favorite here. Fort Dodge beat a winless Mason City comfortably, but not as dominating as a few may have thought. The fact they've already beaten one of the two who look to be at the bottom has to make the Dodgers feel pretty certain about playing after Week 9. Urbandale beat Indianola rather convincingly, which figures to put them at least in the top three in the division.
PROJECTION:
D4-1: Waukee, 5-0 / 8-1
D4-2: Urbandale, 4-1 / 5-4
D4-3: Indianola, 3-2 / 6-3
D4-4: Fort Dodge, 2-3 / 5-4
Marshalltown, 1-4 / 2-7
Mason City, 0-5 / 0-9

DIVISION 5...
Really looks like three haves and three have nots here. What's known for sure is that Cedar Falls is good and so is Marion Linn-Mar. Cedar Rapids Jefferson has enjoyed some success beating on teams weaker than they are, but have done so in very convincing fashion. Waterloo East and Waterloo West have one win between them and that came at the hands of another winless team. Cedar Rapids Kennedy is also looking for their first win, but they have played a few close games with an absolute meat grinder schedule. Wouldn't be surprised to see them win a game they weren't supposed to. Anybody drawing them in the first round of the playoffs will probably not be happy about it.
PROJECTION:
D5-1: Marion Linn-Mar, 4-1 / 7-2
D5-2: Cedar Falls, 4-1 / 7-2
D5-3: Cedar Rapids Jefferson, 3-2 / 5-4
D5-4: Cedar Rapids Kennedy, 3-2 / 3-6
Waterloo West, 1-4 / 2-7
Waterloo East, 0-5 / 0-9

DIVISION 6...
Kind of had the sense when the division format was set up that a decent team from this division was going to be left out of the playoffs for a less deserving team somewhere else. No disappointment here, unless you're that fifth team. Cedar Rapids Washington looks like a state champion, let alone the division. Strangely, the one non-contender is Iowa City High, who got shutout by division rival, Ottumwa, 34-0. Who would have thought that? Muscatine looks like their normal selves, as they seem to trounce everyone below them and lose to those above, not that losing to Washington this year is a crime. Cedar Rapids Prairie clearly placed themselves above Burlington, in what may be the ultimate demise for the them.
PROJECTION:
D6-1: Cedar Rapids Washington, 5-0 / 9-0
D6-2: Muscatine, 4-1 / 7-2
D6-3: Cedar Rapids Prairie, 3-2 / 5-4
D6-4: Ottumwa, 2-3 / 5-4
Iowa City High, 1-4 / 1-8
Burlington, 0-5 / 3-6

DIVISION 7...
The first of the two five-team divisions gives us nobody who seems clearly above the others. Many would argue this is the weakest division in 4A, but it also may warrant the most competition from 1-4. Davenport North is clearly not in this top four and will be a likely victory for their rivals. Dubuque Hempstead comes in with the best record but with no real impressive wins. Iowa City West has had an up and down start to the season, but have only lost two games to legit state title contenders(WDM Valley and CR Washington). Add a victory over fellow division mates Davenport Central and they could be the team to beat. Pleasant Valley has had no shortage of strong opponents either and is on a modest two game winning streak. Momentum towards the end of the season may carry them to the division title when they finish with Hempstead and IC West.
PROJECTION:
D7-1: Pleasant Valley, 4-0 / 6-3
D7-2: Iowa City West, 3-1 / 5-4
D7-3: Dubuque Hempstead, 2-2 / 6-3
D7-4: Davenport Central, 1-3 / 4-5
Davenport North, 0-4 / 1-8

DIVISION 8...
The final stop, home of Bettendorf, who has looked as impressive as anybody all season. The only roadblock between the Bulldogs and the division title seems to be North Scott, but they get the Lancers at home, not that North Scott is having a bad season. Dubuque Senior loos like the middle team here, winning early games against weaker opponents and losing against tougher competition lately. Davenport West wishes they could have got that win from Davenport North to start the season, because every game looks a little tough for them the rest of the way. Clinton has to be wary of their game against West, as that's the only thing that would keep them from the playoffs.
PROJECTION:
D8-1: Bettendorf, 4-0 / 9-0
D8-2: North Scott, 3-1 / 7-2
D8-3: Dubuque Senior, 2-2 / 5-4
D8-4: Clinton, 1-3 / 2-7
Davenport West, 0-4 / 0-9

PROJECTED FIRST ROUND MATCH-UPS...

Sioux City North, 4-5 @ West Des Moines Valley, 8-1
Council Bluffs Lewis Central, 6-3 @ Ankeny, 6-3
Des Moines Hoover, 5-4 @ Waukee, 8-1
Fort Dodge, 5-4 @ West Des Moines Dowling, 8-1

= = = = =
Southeast Polk, 5-4 @ Ankeny Centennial, 7-2
Sioux City East, 7-2 @ Urbandale, 5-4
Council Bluffs Lincoln, 5-4 @ Johnston, 7-2
Indianola, 6-3 @ Ames, 7-2

= = = = = = = = = = =

Cedar Rapids Kennedy, 3-6 @ Bettendorf, 9-0
Ottumwa, 5-4 @ Pleasant Valley, 6-3
Davenport Central, 4-5 @ Marion Linn-Mar, 7-2
Clinton, 2-7 @ Cedar Rapids Washington, 9-0

= = = = =
Cedar Rapids Jefferson, 5-4 @ Muscatine, 7-2
Cedar Rapids Prairie, 5-4 @ Iowa City West, 5-4
Dubuque Hempstead, 6-3 @ North Scott, 7-2
Dubuque Senior, 5-4 @ Cedar Falls, 7-2
This post was edited on 9/28 12:58 PM by screwloose

Originally posted by screwloose:

PROJECTED FIRST ROUND MATCH-UPS...

Sioux City North, 4-5 @ West Des Moines Valley, 8-1
Council Bluffs Lewis Central, 6-3 @ Ankeny, 6-3
Des Moines Hoover, 5-4 @ Waukee, 8-1
Fort Dodge, 5-4 @ West Des Moines Dowling, 8-1

= = = = =
Southeast Polk, 5-4 @ Ankeny Centennial, 7-2
Sioux City East, 7-2 @ Urbandale, 5-4
Council Bluffs Lincoln, 5-4 @ Johnston, 7-2
Indianola, 6-3 @ Ames, 7-2

= = = = = = = = = = =

Cedar Rapids Kennedy, 3-6 @ Bettendorf, 9-0
Ottumwa, 5-4 @ Pleasant Valley, 6-3
Davenport Central, 4-5 @ Marion Linn-Mar, 7-2
Clinton, 2-7 @ Cedar Rapids Washington, 9-0

= = = = =
Cedar Rapids Jefferson, 5-4 @ Muscatine, 7-2
Cedar Rapids Prairie, 5-4 @ Iowa City West, 5-4
Dubuque Hempstead, 6-3 @ North Scott, 7-2
Dubuque Senior, 5-4 @ Cedar Falls, 7-2
doesn't it sound ridiculous to put Dowling, Waukee and Valley in the same bracket?

Actually, they aren't in the same bracket. Remember, the state will be doing new pairings after each round. The games are grouped together as #4 @ #1 match-ups and #3 @ #2 match-ups on each side of the state. If you'd paid a little more attention to the pairings, you would have seen that. There's no way of knowing how the second round pairings will go together until the First Round games are played and the state knows who's available to be paired. I would assume that a team from the 4/1 group will be matched-up against a team from the 3/2 group in the Second Round. But like I said, until the games are decided...?

I've been doing this Number Cruncher, now renamed the Playoff Prognosticator, for eight or nine years now. And I've never been someone to post without thinking my thoughts through and articulating those thoughts thoroughly. I figured I would have received at least a little credit.

If the post was that bad, I won't do it any more and you guys can do it instead.

Don't let a couple posters wit reading comprehension issues get you down, screw. Just make note at the top of your pairing listings next time, so we all can enjoy the work you do.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Not sure who is slamming you, but I love your posts, so please don't think I was implying anything.

Hey, screwloose, the IAHSAA does have their postseason manual posted now. But you're right, it doesn't help with figuring out playoff pairings after the first round.

First round will be 1s vs 4s and 2s vs 3s. There's a 125-mile travel restriction, but it sounds like that's only for the first round and only for classes that aren't 4A. But, second and third rounds are totally up to the Board of Control. They won't allow district winners to play each other in the second round, but that's about the only sure thing. So it's possible two district runners-up could play each other in the second round, if travel for other arrangements would be too far. Sounds like travel distance is going to be a big determining factor for them putting together the second and third round games.

It's all up in the air and made up as they go.

Screw, you do interesting and thoughtful posts. I have no idea who or what has gotten you thinking ANYONE thinks differently. Now stop reading this and get to work on your best guess on 3A which is much more important and interesting.

Never done 3A. Don't follow it, though I should since I have lived in Waverly the last eight or nine years.

IMO in the first year of full district play (The west has done it for the previous two years) the non district games have not been totally meaningless for district play predictions. What would be the posters rankings the 4A districts at this time (1-8) with some crossover games be at this time?

Screwloose,
Ottumwa beat IC High with an expanded passing attack after their featured running back rolled an ankle in the first half. I think they can be competitive in their district if he returns.

At this point I don't see how CR Washington, Bettendorf, or North Scott will be challenged through the end of the year.

Originally posted by tnobd:
At this point I don't see how CR Washington, Bettendorf, or North Scott will be challenged through the end of the year.
Bettendorf and North Scott play each other...

Screwloose
Bettdog is right....I meant Pleasant Valley....in lieu of North Scott.

In hindsight I have to think the MAC went to districts because they were promised two 5-team alignments for several years. The IHSAA really needs the new Iowa City School, another Waukee or Johnston high school to balance out the 4A regular season districts.

Unless they play poorly CBLC will have a decent year, which makes me wonder why they didn't press to join the MRAC before the western teams decided to play in divisions.
This post was edited on 9/28 7:55 PM by tnobd

Screwloose

I believe if I want the district rankings I would use your power rankings and add up the scores of the teams in each district and determine the toughest district.

Because of the different number of teams in some of the districts, you would then divide the sum by the # of teams in that district to get an average for comparison.

CBLC was long asked to join the MRAC but always resisted due to very strong Hawkeye 10 conference ties in both sports and fine arts. They long teetered on the 4a/3a enrollment line, but never fully capitalized on being one of the largest 3a schools, always in Harlan's shadow.

Now with Duggan at the helm, they are vastly improved from where they were in the Sterbick years. Moving up and competing in 4a consistently, especially against teams like Dowling, will be a challenge due to the size of their enrollment. Duggan is an excellent coach, though, so they could go to the playoffs with a 6-3 record this year and build from there, which is a solid year I think.

I predicted WDMD over CRW in the final and I'm sticking to it. Perhaps Bettendorf nudges out CRW, we shall see.

And there are other games in between the regular season and the championship game. The winner will score the most points.

Yes, agree DSMAN. Eastside won't be able to hang with the West...again this year.

screw, enjoy your playoff prog, keep it up. Your play-off prog is much more accurate than your weekly BCMoore picks! Haha KIDDING!

I'm not kidding about the picks, I have sucked ass! Like I said, it's only a matter of time before the posse gets rounded together to take me out behind the shed and give me the Ol' Yeller treatment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT