ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 Top 10 Rankings

Baxter no way, 5-4/4-5 team. 10 returning player from a formerly 9 SR dominated team.

4 teams from 1 district. Montezuma might be better than some of them making it 5.

I am curious. How good was Baxter last year as a 8-1 team? Obviously they were ineligible for the 8-man playoffs. They lost several Sr's from last season, so I would agree a 5-4 season is likely.

Baxter no way, 5-4/4-5 team. 10 returning player from a formerly 9 SR dominated team.

4 teams from 1 district. Montezuma might be better than some of them making it 5.

I am curious. How good was Baxter last year as a 8-1 team? Obviously they were ineligible for the 8-man playoffs. They lost several Sr's from last season, so I would agree a 5-4 season is likely.
It depends on how good you think Midland and Remsen were last year. Baxter beat Midland mid year. They lost to Remsen early with 2 starting linemen out and then lost their all-state lineman when they were up 22-14 in the 2nd. They were competitive. They did lose many skill kids. They return a dynamic QB with all 3 OL returning. Maybe not 8-1, but should be competitive again.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Two big games Friday night.

HLV at New London. N-L returning QB, top RB and top 2 receivers. HLV didn't have a pass attempt Friday, they probably didn't need to but it's always good to use those games to practice all parts of your game. Picking New London

Gladbrook-Reinbeck at Don Bosco, G-R was pretty reliant on the passing game last year and lost a lot of those pieces. Picking the Dons

Lone Tree at Monte let us know how good SE Warren and Monte are. Flip a coin, mine came down Lone Tree

I am interested to see how Gladbrook-Reinbeck does at 8-man this year. They still have some talent, but definitely not on the same level as a few years ago.

Two big games Friday night.

HLV at New London. N-L returning QB, top RB and top 2 receivers. HLV didn't have a pass attempt Friday, they probably didn't need to but it's always good to use those games to practice all parts of your game. Picking New London

Gladbrook-Reinbeck at Don Bosco, G-R was pretty reliant on the passing game last year and lost a lot of those pieces. Picking the Dons

Lone Tree at Monte let us know how good SE Warren and Monte are. Flip a coin, mine came down Lone Tree

I am interested to see how Gladbrook-Reinbeck does at 8-man this year. They still have some talent, but definitely not on the same level as a few years ago.

Looks like they will be without their best player/QB for the first half of the season. This week will be a good measuring point.

With only one ND game left for D4, we can pretty well tell what their OWP RPI is going to be. So far they are 4-3 in ND games, I expect another win next week so they will be 5-3, add the 32-32 that of district play OWP will be 37 wins in 72 games or .5239% x.375 = .1927 pts. Being that the top 5-6 teams in the district are pretty strong, and even one of the lower ones got a win in a mid pack team from D5 I think it could have been higher if had the opportunity to play more ND games.

OOWP is up in the air but since only 8 opponents it makes easy to make a guess on. I think opponents will have 49 wins in 79 games. 0.62% x .25 = .155 pts. I think that will be a pretty good number hopefully makes up for the OWP to give them a chance at 3 teams qualifying.

I know you are going off last years record, but Twin Cedars lost everything and is breaking in a new coach. They will not be middle of the pack in District 5, even if it is a poor district.

What is everyone's thoughts of HLV @ New London? NL was solid last year in class A, and returns slot. HLV is always solid, and has a game under their belt to work out kinks. This should be a very telling game for New London, as they play HLV and Moravia back to back weeks, before district play opens up.

Saw them last year but didn't look at who've they graduated. I see 3 winnable district games based more on the other teams they are playing.

HLV is a district game. N-L and Moravia is the only ND game D4 has left. The state didn't schedule any ND games for D4 except for the NL Moravia one, it only made it because some other team is playing a Missouri team opening up Moravia.

Last edited:
What is everyone's thoughts of HLV @ New London? NL was solid last year in class A, and returns slot. HLV is always solid, and has a game under their belt to work out kinks. This should be a very telling game for New London, as they play HLV and Moravia back to back weeks, before district play opens up.

I expect this game will be either very good, or very revealing towards the district hierarchy. I have these two plus Iowa Valley and Lone Tree, slugging it out for the top spots. Montezuma & WACO could force their way in, but I'm not convinced yet. It looks like EV has improved, but will be hard pressed to win more than 2 in-district games. Either WMU or Tri-County will beat the other, that's it.

Waco seems to have one player, missed first 2 games last year don't know why, keep him under wraps and I think they are beatable by the top 4 teams, if I know who he is I'm sure the coaches do.

IV's best RB/wrestler didn't carry the ball last week, played but minimal stats on defense. Hopefully he healthy or getting healthy. (no info, just guessing). Him healthy they are a contender for a playoff spot.

Monte vs LT will be telling this week.

EV's improved just because they barely graduated anyone, I see 2 wins, have not seen WMU play in years, assume they will take EV just on being thier first year down 2 wins.

Last edited:
IV's best RB/wrestler didn't carry the ball last week, played but minimal stats on defense. Hopefully he healthy or getting healthy. (no info, just guessing). Him healthy they are a contender for a playoff spot.

Monte vs LT will be telling this week..

The IV player is Garrett Sims. This site selected him as pre-season Offensive POY for the district. He was moved to the O-line due to serious depth and size issues there. Kudos to the young man for putting team needs first, when he could have probably resisted. Hopefully he'll get a few chances at being rewarded for his dedication.

I'm sure I'm just an optimistic homer, but I think my Lions will win comfortably at Montezuma.

Reactions: roosterk
The IV player is Garrett Sims. This site selected him as pre-season Offensive POY for the district. He was moved to the O-line due to serious depth and size issues there. Kudos to the young man for putting team needs first, when he could have probably resisted. Hopefully he'll get a few chances at being rewarded for his dedication.

I'm sure I'm just an optimistic homer, but I think my Lions will win comfortably at Montezuma.

I've never been a football coach but.... I think If I had the pre season OPOY I would find someone else to stick on the line.

Reactions: roosterk
I've never been a football coach but.... I think If I had the pre season OPOY I would find someone else to stick on the line.

I'm not privvy to their decision making process, but can assume that they felt a lot more comfortable with their depth in the backfield than on the line. In the season opener, four guys combined for 244 yards on 18 carries before they turned it over to the reserves.

ADVERTISEMENT