Way Too Early District Projections Class A

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
This is my attempt

District 1
Favorite: Gehlen
Challengers: Alta Aurelia, MMCRU

To be honest this district is a complete toss up for me, I don't know what to do with HMS who won this district very easily last year, but they lost one of the top players in the state. I have a bunch of question marks about everyone.

District 2
Favorite: West Hancock
Challengers: Saint Ansgar, Newman

I think West Hancock is the favorite to win the state title, so they are the favorite to win their district, Saint should be solid as always, after that I put Newman who loses a lot but tends to be strong.

District 3
Favorite: Wapsie Valley
Challengers: Nashua Plainfield, AGWSR

Wapsie lost quite a bit, but they have a strong tradition and strong participation. NP was the other playoff team in this district and appears to return a good amount of talent. After that I could see any one of the teams make the playoffs, I took AGWSR because they return a 1000 yard back.

District 4
Favorite: East Buchanan
Challengers: North Linn, Maquoketa Valley

East Buc returns a bunch off of a team that maybe gave Grundy Center their toughest playoff challenges, I think you have to start with them. After that North Linn has been very solid the last few seasons and has athletes, Maquoketa Valley should be the clear #3 with what they return as well, after that I think it is a toss up.

District 5
Favorite: Columbus
Challenger: Lisbon
Columbus returns a few studs off of a team that I think surprised a bunch of people, I don't know if they are a state wide contender but a very good team. Lisbon seems like they should be next as every other team I think has major questions.

District 6
Favorite: Lynnville Sully
Challengers: Madrid, Mount Ayr
Lynnville Sully I think is a state title contender, therefore should be picked to win the district, Madrid returns a very nice nucleus off of a team that was runner up in this district. I have to take Mount Ayr after that just because of program history.

District 7
Favorite: ACGC
Challengers: Southwest Valley, SCC
I think you have 3 very solid teams here and any could win the title. I'll give ACGC the edge because I think they were always over shadowed by Van Meter and are so physical.

District 8:
Favorite: Woodbury Central
Challengers: LoMa, Tri Center
I think Woodbury Central is the clear favorite with what they return off of a dome team, after that I could see a lot of things happening, but I will give LoMa the benefit being consistent, and kind of the same with Tri Center.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Mount Ayr loses quite a bit from last year’s squad, but Lynnville-Sully and Madrid will be one helluva game to watch this fall.

This is Madrid’s best team since 2016, IMO.

Lynnville Sully loses a huge and talented Senior class. They only have 1 lineman back (freshman last year). They do not pass much but receivers are gone. Only 1 running back returns. He is very good but no one to block for him. Defense is mostly gone up front except that same lineman. Rest of the front 7 graduate.

District 1 is very interesting.
- MMCRU returns all but 1 senior on a vastly improved team last year. I think they could have a great year.
- Gehlen and HMS both lost great senior classes but both have strong football tradition.
- AA returns quite a bit.
- Akron has a solid Junior class turning seniors but lost coach.
- South O always plays hard-nosed physical football and can beat anyone under the right conditions, regardless of talent.
- Sibley is the biggest question mark. Played with majority underclassmen last year in a schedule that played 3A MOC, now dropping to A.

Last edited:
I looked a little closer at MMCRU and I agree with them possibly being a favorite, they were very young last year and actually played quite a few teams tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT