ADVERTISEMENT

Waterloo High Schools

Hawksince73

Varsity
Aug 21, 2002
Talk of major reorginazion of schools in Waterloo with everything, including a possible merger of high schools, on the table. Not sure when any changes would take place but saw that little blurb on the Twitter machine earlier tonight.

If Waterloo went down to one high school, that would strike me as being needlessly big! West is already plenty big as it is, although East kinda got shortchanged when Central closed back in the 80's and merged into West. I could definitely see reorganizing East and West school districts though! That would definitely make some sense.

I totally agree. My thought here was stupid.

I think a redistricting would be a good move. I didn't realize how big the difference is between the schools, at least by BEDS count(1264 to 870, in favor of West). Simple math says the average class size then would be 421 to 290. If there was some way to get them anywhere close to that 350 each, that would be fair. I do think if they did a redistricting to try and even out the school's populations, they should have a grandfathered clause allowing those who started high school at West to finish there, not that parents/students couldn't just open enroll anyway.
This post was edited on 11/7 4:22 PM by screwloose

Originally posted by KidSilverhair:
One idea I saw mentioned on the news ... and this is just an idea they are spitballing, apparently ... is to have grades 10-12 at Central, 8-9 at West and 6-7 at East. Unless I got East and West mixed up.
I have heard that too. They want to combine all the kids under one school name, but put them in different buildings. This way at least they are more competitive in sports and also there is no division within the city.

I think its a great idea having the junior high at one building, 9-10 at another, and then allow the upperclassmen to have their own building. Do they have an alternative building in waterloo already? I could see putting 6-8 at East, 9-10 at West and 11-12 at Central. Another option.

This is how the proposed schools would break out. I don't think WDM Valley ever entered into the equation, rather duplication of services and a 70% graduation rate are the drivers.

Combine the student body of East and West to create a singular high school at Central Middle School. Grades 10-12 would be at Central, grades 8-9 at West High, grades 6-7 at East High and with grades PK-5 at the 11 existing elementary school facilities. The proposed high school would have roughly 2100/students.

This post was edited on 11/7 8:20 AM by Hawksince73

Personally I think if they are concerned about graduation rates (which is an issue in Waterloo) 2 high schools would be better than one, I would think that a student would feel more disconnect in a bigger school. And why put your oldest in Central, the last time I was there it was in worst condition that West or East.

I can't blame them at all for trying to do something! Has nothing to do with sports in general, I think they see a need to make major changes and good luck to them in finding what works.

Originally posted by PNation:
Personally I think if they are concerned about graduation rates (which is an issue in Waterloo) 2 high schools would be better than one, I would think that a student would feel more disconnect in a bigger school. And why put your oldest in Central, the last time I was there it was in worst condition that West or East.
I think the thinking behind combining schools is less cost and thus more to pay teachers allowing for better teacher/student ratio.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mention of trying to be like WDM Valley is stupid... Schools are not going to join to have better athletics... This isn't college, no money in high school sports. Maybe in West Des Moines, but definitely not in the rest of Iowa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know Davenport schools have been rumored to be closing schools as well. I believe the talk is mainly for elementary and middle schools at this point. I would have to think Davenport will consider redistricting in order to get more balance between the high schools as well. West is almost 3 times the size of North student wise. Daveport hires many young teachers and I know at least a few that are looking at Pleasant Valley, North Scott, and Bettendorf before the closing start happening.

The gap between West and East has grown over the last 15 years or so. Originally, the gap was growing because West was viewed as the "safe" school and had less issues. In the last 5-7 years it has been more because the West schools district has simply grown bigger than the East. Waterloo is very odd in its schools choice names because East is technically North and West is technically South. They named them based on the side of the river they fall on. The South side of Waterloo toward Highway 20 has been the growing part of Waterloo and it is next to the growing part of Cedar Falls. Whereas the North end is not mainly because that is the industrial area of Waterloo for John Deere, Tyson, No UNI, and farm land with no major roads other than Highway 63.

As a result East is shrinking and West is growing or at least staying steady. Small schools like Hudson, LaPorte City Union, and Denver are claiming some of the outer edge of Waterloo students as well. On the other side of things some Waterloo kids transfer in to Cedar Falls as well.

I don't think merging East and West will ever happen, because of Tradition. To close down two high schools who have been around for more than 100 plus years to make a new one, will never happen. If it does happen, then the system failed at the higher levels. They are saying sports is more important than education.

If restructuring to a single high school does happen, it would not be unprecedented. A generation ago Waterloo had three high schools, then closed Central once the population began its current downward trend. Cedar Rapids transitioned from five to two high schools in 1958 (Kennedy opened in 68).

Duluth, MN recently dropped from three to two high schools. Wisconsin & Illinois are dotted with industrial hubs that have shed high schools when the jobs went elsewhere and families followed.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by paxregis:
If restructuring to a single high school does happen, it would not be unprecedented. A generation ago Waterloo had three high schools, then closed Central once the population began its current downward trend. Cedar Rapids transitioned from five to two high schools in 1958 (Kennedy opened in 68).

Duluth, MN recently dropped from three to two high schools. Wisconsin & Illinois are dotted with industrial hubs that have shed high schools when the jobs went elsewhere and families followed.
CR to two? What happened?

I believe Franklin, Roosevelt, McKinley and Wilson, which are now middle schools, along with Washington, which used to be downtown, were replaced by the current Kennedy, Jefferson and Washington facilities.
If you really want to get crazy, you can say that CR is still served by five publics because Prairie and Linn-Mar serve sizeable portions of northeast and southern CR even though they're not part of CRCSD.

Grant was the fifth CR high school.

Going to one big high school is just one option. Waterloo, Davenport & Des Moines. could follow Dubuque's lead & redraw attendance boundaries to even out the BEDS disparity. Cedar Rapids & Sioux City typically have a spread of less than a 100 students between their respective three high schools.

I sure hope they don't go to one high school. To have 500 kids per class does not seem like it would improve anything. Redoing district lines and totally reforming East would not be a bad thing. Decatur, Illinois was talking about doing this a couple years ago (after having three large public high schools not too long ago). Decatur is about the size of Waterloo and it seemed crazy to me there too. Unfortunately it is a sign of the decline of so many industrial cities, although I thought Waterloo actually seemed to be improving over the last decade or so.

Originally posted by iceland:
I sure hope they don't go to one high school. To have 500 kids per class does not seem like it would improve anything. Redoing district lines and totally reforming East would not be a bad thing. Decatur, Illinois was talking about doing this a couple years ago (after having three large public high schools not too long ago). Decatur is about the size of Waterloo and it seemed crazy to me there too. Unfortunately it is a sign of the decline of so many industrial cities, although I thought Waterloo actually seemed to be improving over the last decade or so.

Waterloo has been improving, but John Deere is still the dominate company in the town and considering they laid off 1000+ workers less than 2 months ago it can't help the town grow.

I've heard this a few times. There's a few options they're looking at, but the bottom line is they will have to ask for Waterloo voters for the funding to make it happen. I'm all for tradition, but I'm also tired to getting our "rear-ends" handed to us. I think sports wise, combining would make us more competitive with other school districts.

I understand this is a sports thread... and message board. And I can understand wanting your teams, families, etc... to do well.

However, if one of the things driving this is the opportunity to have more athletic success, then to me, we've lost our way. If you could make the argument that it was going to improve graduation %, and lead to a more meaningful high school experience / trying to make sure the vast majority are equipped with skills needed to help them succeed - I'd say prepared but I'm not sure you're ever really prepared until something happens to you - then by all means, I hope that whatever they feel is the best mode of achieving that needs to be done.

The vast majority of students don't even participate at most school... so to me, its not even about tradition and all that. If they need to redraw lines in Waterloo to help with space or something, etc. If a building is dilapidated, etc.... fine.

Frankly, If Waterloo wants to be competitive in sports it starts with coaching. McGraw is back as the basketball coach for East so we could see a turnaround there, but from the elementary to high school levels the coaching effort/quality isn't their.

I guarantee they wouldn't combine schools for athletics, because the town has no emphasis on athletics.

Doug Gee tried to get the Waterloo football programs going at the young levels and started Waterloo West in the right direction and then left for the Dean of Students job at Des Moines East.

I believe Waterloo is the only town with Pop Warner that is under 250,000 surrounding area and Gee brought it in.

In my opinion, it'll be a waste of money. They want a lot of taxpayer money to attempt to fix a problem that can't be fixed with money. We just rebuilt or expanded nearly every school in the district, which would be wasted money if they go with one of these plans. We have school uniforms. They're trying all these things, but what it boils down to is parents and students that don't care about their education. If they ever get a proposal that I get to vote on, I'll say no, but if I were to bet, I'd say it passes anyway with whatever proposal they go with.

Sure, it'd help with athletics (and I'll be honest, I like thinking of that). They also have ideas to work with Hawkeye Community College to help lure kids into getting a college degree. Paint it up however you want, but it still doesn't address the socioeconomic problems Waterloo has. At least they're trying to figure out how to improve, but we need something that has been proven to be successful.

I'm liking what they're doing with the pop warner and gates park basketball league. In the next 10 years or so, we should get some talent hitting the high schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT