ADVERTISEMENT

War Eagle and Top of Iowa

Anonymous111

Freshman
Jun 27, 2018
Looking at some scores, BCMoore, and Ap Polls has brought something to my attention. 4 of the top 5 1A teams are in these two conferences and one could argue they are the top 4 teams. I believe it would be an absolute travesty if they put these teams together in substates. But the boys in Boone like to make it easy on themselves so they probably will

Totally agree with Anonymous. In all classes the IHSAA needs to seed (or spread) the top ten or dozen or so teams (can use BC Moore) so they don't eliminate a possible champion in the districts/substates. Each year the best teams are not geographically distributed throughout the state. They are often clumped, although the clumps can vary from year to year. I see this as one of the biggest issues that the IHSAA should try to resolve. Travel issues are not as important as basic fairness.

Last edited:
The thing is, none of the teams from NW Iowa are playing outside of their region. With zero overlap, it's not fair to just give that region more of the State Tourney spots.

The IAHSAA has always gone with state wide representation at the state tourneys. I think that is ok because it never prevents the best team from winning the state title.

Looking at some scores, BCMoore, and Ap Polls has brought something to my attention. 4 of the top 5 1A teams are in these two conferences and one could argue they are the top 4 teams. I believe it would be an absolute travesty if they put these teams together in substates. But the boys in Boone like to make it easy on themselves so they probably will

There are many times where a game has been played before reaching the state tournament that features 2 top teams in the state and could easily have been the championship game. Good competition breeds better teams. With only 8 teams making it to state in a class it is always unfair for someone.

I would have to disagree with statewide representation being better than the top 8 (or as close to) teams making the tournament. It would make for a much more entertaining week in Des Moines and I would guess it might even raise the attendance a bit.

The problem is determining which teams are the best in the sate when they never play each other and often don't include even 1 common opponent.

There are many times where a game has been played before reaching the state tournament that features 2 top teams in the state and could easily have been the championship game. Good competition breeds better teams. With only 8 teams making it to state in a class it is always unfair for someone.

I would have to disagree with statewide representation being better than the top 8 (or as close to) teams making the tournament. It would make for a much more entertaining week in Des Moines and I would guess it might even raise the attendance a bit.

The problem is determining which teams are the best in the sate when they never play each other and often don't include even 1 common opponent.
That is what makes BCMoore one of the better ranking systems. It intertwines every team in some way. Any coaches on these forums know if people use bcmoore as a case for there seeding at the state tournament?

That is what makes BCMoore one of the better ranking systems. It intertwines every team in some way. Any coaches on these forums know if people use bcmoore as a case for there seeding at the state tournament?

It is not really the best ranking system. When it predicts games to be won by 85 points by a top team against a bottom team, it is flawed. I think playing who you play is what is right. win your region and get a better seeding at state, simple as that.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
It is not really the best ranking system. When it predicts games to be won by 85 points by a top team against a bottom team, it is flawed. I think playing who you play is what is right. win your region and get a better seeding at state, simple as that.
I totally agree with your sentiment. But at the state tournament what do the coaches look at and respect more? A 25-30 point win over a top 25 team, or a 5 point win over a top 10 team? My bet is the 25-30 point win. And the reality is that this happens pretty often

Sadly I believe they are going to match my team with South O’Brien... This by far the best team we’ve had over the past 10 years

Sadly I believe they are going to match my team with South O’Brien... This by far the best team we’ve had over the past 10 years
Agreed. Those two are both top 5 teams in 1A and agree about bishop garrigan. Had them preseason number one on my rankings and just got laughed at pretty much. They will likely be ranked number 1 on prep hoops next pole. LOL

The thing is that upsets (perceived or not) happen all of the time at the state tourney. The best team doesn't always win and the computer calcs can not account for that. Then people suggest the computer rankings were completely flawed, which isnt fair to say either.

South O'Brien and Garrigan both have very good 1A teams. However, I am not sold that either are guaranteed state champs.

QUOTE="Anonymous500, post: 180767, member: 28210"]Agreed. Those two are both top 5 teams in 1A and agree about bishop garrigan. Had them preseason number one on my rankings and just got laughed at pretty much. They will likely be ranked number 1 on prep hoops next pole. LOL[/QUOTE]

The thing is that upsets (perceived or not) happen all of the time at the state tourney. The best team doesn't always win and the computer calcs can not account for that. Then people suggest the computer rankings were completely flawed, which isnt fair to say either.

South O'Brien and Garrigan both have very good 1A teams. However, I am not sold that either are guaranteed state champs.

QUOTE="Anonymous500, post: 180767, member: 28210"]Agreed. Those two are both top 5 teams in 1A and agree about bishop garrigan. Had them preseason number one on my rankings and just got laughed at pretty much. They will likely be ranked number 1 on prep hoops next pole. LOL
[/QUOTE]
I agree I’m not sold on these two teams being the teams to beat. Lake Mills and Remsen are title contenders as well. I watched an Easton Valley live stream on YouTube and they are a good team, but I’m just not seeing championship caliber talent. Have two good players and a solid role player, but after that there is a huge drop off

I was thinking the same on Easton Valley. I wish they could have scheduled a game vs a 2A school in the area like Camanche or Northeast.

QUOTE="Anonymous111, post: 181076, member: 26077"][/QUOTE]
I agree I’m not sold on these two teams being the teams to beat. Lake Mills and Remsen are title contenders as well. I watched an Easton Valley live stream on YouTube and they are a good team, but I’m just not seeing championship caliber talent. Have two good players and a solid role player, but after that there is a huge drop off[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Anonymous500
I never understood the principle of “trying to get the best teams to state”....isn’t that why games are played and winners advance? In 4A, especially football it’s hard to avoid (Valley vs Dowling for state title) but I think it’s better for HS sports to have each region represented if possible. Formulaa and input used for rankings are more entertaining for the person calculating than they are useful for those who view them. It seems silly to have for example a team from Sioux Center and Orange City play in Des Moines when they are not more than a few miles apart. Curious, where did BCMoore have Winterset or Glenwood before state tournament? I’m not saying BCmoore’s rankings are bad or interesting. Personally I’m glad he does them but Basketball can be very unpredictable, much more than football. Winterset was badly outsized in 1/4 final game last year vs heavy favorite SBL last tournament. On paper it would’ve been hard to draw up a Winterset win. They didn’t just win but dominated most the entire game. Loyola-Chicago a few years back in the NCAA. They were just playing really good basketball. the NCAA is arguably the most entertaining sporting event each year. the first round games are usually between teams from the same region nationally.

I never understood the principle of “trying to get the best teams to state”....isn’t that why games are played and winners advance? In 4A, especially football it’s hard to avoid (Valley vs Dowling for state title) but I think it’s better for HS sports to have each region represented if possible. Formulaa and input used for rankings are more entertaining for the person calculating than they are useful for those who view them. It seems silly to have for example a team from Sioux Center and Orange City play in Des Moines when they are not more than a few miles apart. Curious, where did BCMoore have Winterset or Glenwood before state tournament? I’m not saying BCmoore’s rankings are bad or interesting. Personally I’m glad he does them but Basketball can be very unpredictable, much more than football. Winterset was badly outsized in 1/4 final game last year vs heavy favorite SBL last tournament. On paper it would’ve been hard to draw up a Winterset win. They didn’t just win but dominated most the entire game. Loyola-Chicago a few years back in the NCAA. They were just playing really good basketball. the NCAA is arguably the most entertaining sporting event each year. the first round games are usually between teams from the same region nationally.
Well I think people have a problem with it is because no matter how you try to slice it, kids want to play at the wells... for example, I’m playing in northwest Iowa and I’m the 2nd best team in the state but the best team is only 15 miles away, that doesn’t make it right for us to play. Meanwhile a team in south west Iowa got beat by 35 to that team and we lose by 1... how is that fair. Just because of location? I don’t know if I really worded this correctly, but hopefully your getting the gist of what I’m saying

Ok, so the 2nd best team in NW Iowa needs to drive 3+ hours to DSM to get beat by the #1 team in NW Iowa?

QUOTE="Anonymous111, post: 181490, member: 26077"]Well I think people have a problem with it is because no matter how you try to slice it, kids want to play at the wells... for example, I’m playing in northwest Iowa and I’m the 2nd best team in the state but the best team is only 15 miles away, that doesn’t make it right for us to play. Meanwhile a team in south west Iowa got beat by 35 to that team and we lose by 1... how is that fair. Just because of location? I don’t know if I really worded this correctly, but hopefully your getting the gist of what I’m saying[/QUOTE]

Ok, so the 2nd best team in NW Iowa needs to drive 3+ hours to DSM to get beat by the #1 team in NW Iowa?

QUOTE="Anonymous111, post: 181490, member: 26077"]Well I think people have a problem with it is because no matter how you try to slice it, kids want to play at the wells... for example, I’m playing in northwest Iowa and I’m the 2nd best team in the state but the best team is only 15 miles away, that doesn’t make it right for us to play. Meanwhile a team in south west Iowa got beat by 35 to that team and we lose by 1... how is that fair. Just because of location? I don’t know if I really worded this correctly, but hopefully your getting the gist of what I’m saying
[/QUOTE]

If they are 2 of the top 8 teams in the class then yeah why not? If two teams from the same area or conference were outstanding it would be nice if they could meet at the state tournament. They could be from any part of the state not just from NW Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWIAorBUST
Having the best "possible" state tournament at the Well is nearly impossible but attempting to get the best teams down there should be a priority. Girls with their top 8 being in different substates is an incredible idea. Why shouldn't a team be rewarded for having a great year and finish their season in Des Moines if they can beat out their substate. Just because 10 miles down the road is the 1 better team than them in the state doesn't mean they should have to go through them to get there. I'm sure West Sioux/Boyden Hull/Western would agree they'd rather finish their year losing to each other in Des Moines rather than in Hawarden or Hull.

Reactions: Greenway12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT