ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Football Rankings - 9/20

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Add your thoughts by replying to this post now!

Class A
1 .) Wapsie Valley 4-0 (Previous: # 1 )
2 .) Saint Ansgar 4-0 (Previous: # 2 )
3 .) Grundy Center 4-0 (Previous: # 3 )
4 .) Iowa City Regina 3-1 (Previous: # 4 )
5 .) Edgewood-Colesburg 4-0 (Previous: # 5 )
6 .) South Winneshiek 4-0 (Previous: # 6 )
7 .) MFL-Mar-Mac 3-1 (Previous: # 7 )
8 .) West Hancock 3-1 (Previous: # Not Rated )
9 .) Lake Mills 3-1 (Previous: # Not Rated )
10 .) Lisbon 3-1 (Previous: # 8 )

Great to see the Next Man Up concept happening in Fearsome Eagle Beast territory!

I think Grundy Center and Regina are the top two teams. The rest are fairly interchangeable. Glad to see West Hancock in the rankings. They've improved a ton since week one. Good list, lots of good teams this season. Will be interested to see how they bracket the teams for the 60 team playoffs.

Reactions: IGo42 and Pinehawk
Will be interested to see how they bracket the teams for the 60 team playoffs.

I wouldn't expect any kind of preset bracket. I think the matchups will be done weekly to try to (1) maintain some geography and (2) maintain separation of upper-tier teams.

With 59 teams to start (Woodward Academy isn't playing this year), five will get first-round byes. There will only be four unbeaten teams at most, so some 6-1 squad(s) will make that cut.

Reactions: IGo42
Here is my top 10 list:

1 .) Grundy Center
2 .) Iowa City Regina
3 .) Saint Ansgar
4 .) Wapsie Valley
5 .) South Winneshiek
6 .) Edgewood-Colesburg
7 .) West Hancock
8 .) MFL-Mar-Mac
9 .) Lisbon
10 .) Lake Mills

Reactions: Pinehawk
Top 10 match up. Should be for the Division title.
Lisbon coming off a close loss to a pretty good West Liberty team.
Regina comes in playing well and putting up some big points in their last couple of games.
The game is at Regina. Should be a good game.
Can Lisbon slow down the Regal offense? You'd think it will be tough.
If not, can Lisbon score enough to keep up?
Looking forward to this one.

South Winneshiek at Wapsie Valley this week. Another matchup of Top 10 teams. If Wapsie wins they most likely lock up the district title, if SW wins then title is still up for grabs. SW plays at MFL next week (another Top 10 matchup) and if MFL wins there would be a 3-way tie for the district title (if these three beat everyone else). Wapsie beat MFL 21-20 two weeks ago. Three really solid teams in district 4.

Reactions: leeps
Alec Wick Wapello game highlights. Check out the one handed TD catch at the beginning.

Woodbury vs Loma this week as well. Should decide the winner of District 2. A top 10 team vs last year dome team and receiving votes. Both 3-1. Woodbury loss to 2A Unity Christian. Loma last week to Oakland Craig NE. According to BC Moore this #2 vs #7. Woodard Academy is ranked #4 in BC but they haven't played so Woodbury is essentially 7 in that ranking. Not saying either team should be that high. Just going off what BC says.

Last edited:
Top 10 match up. Should be for the Division title.
Lisbon coming off a close loss to a pretty good West Liberty team.
Regina comes in playing well and putting up some big points in their last couple of games.
The game is at Regina. Should be a good game.
Can Lisbon slow down the Regal offense? You'd think it will be tough.
If not, can Lisbon score enough to keep up?
Looking forward to this one.

I dont think this will be close. Regina will have to work a little, as Lisbon is solid on defense and against the run. But Regina will make plays in passing game. And Lisbon wont have enough offensively to keep it close. 34-6 Regina, and that might be kind.

I'll go with Wapsie up north. Has S Winn won a big game in the last five years?

I've seen both teams this year and I'm not sure Regina scores 34 against Lisbon. Their defense is pretty good. Plus Regina has now lost 2 of their starting receivers for the season. There's only so many bullets on a class A team. I'm not saying Lisbon shuts them down, but they have one of the better defenses I've seen. They'll put up a fight. Not sure anyone can shut down Wick, cause that kid is a dude! His catch on the first play against N Cedar might be more unbelievable. But my guess is Lisbon will slow the run down and then it'll turn into an airshow. Lots of man to man against Wilton if I remember right. The problem is that I agree that I'm not sure their offense can score much. As good as their defense is, their offense has struggled this year against good opponents, and rumor on the street is that one of their RBs got hurt last week against W. Liberty. Only way that Lisbon wins is with multiple turnovers, def/Sp team score, and a by keeping it a low scoring battle. My guess is Regina still pulls it out but in a close one.

Personally I think that the 34-6 guess isn't too far off, maybe 28-6 or something like that, I just think that Regina is the better team overall. It could be worse if Regina sees this as their only real competition until the playoffs and really comes out motivated to prove something.

I've seen both teams this year and I'm not sure Regina scores 34 against Lisbon. Their defense is pretty good. Plus Regina has now lost 2 of their starting receivers for the season. There's only so many bullets on a class A team. I'm not saying Lisbon shuts them down, but they have one of the better defenses I've seen. They'll put up a fight. Not sure anyone can shut down Wick, cause that kid is a dude! His catch on the first play against N Cedar might be more unbelievable. But my guess is Lisbon will slow the run down and then it'll turn into an airshow. Lots of man to man against Wilton if I remember right. The problem is that I agree that I'm not sure their offense can score much. As good as their defense is, their offense has struggled this year against good opponents, and rumor on the street is that one of their RBs got hurt last week against W. Liberty. Only way that Lisbon wins is with multiple turnovers, def/Sp team score, and a by keeping it a low scoring battle. My guess is Regina still pulls it out but in a close one.
That didn’t age well

I didn’t expect Regina to run on Lisbon like they did. They tried to stop Wick and Kolie ran right through them.
Lisbon did get two turnovers, and two special teams scores. But, Regina came out in the second half and had it figured out.
Lisbon is a very good team though. And, they came in with a couple of big recent injuries as well.
They will be a tough out in the playoffs for sure.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
South Winneshiek at Wapsie Valley this week. Another matchup of Top 10 teams. If Wapsie wins they most likely lock up the district title, if SW wins then title is still up for grabs. SW plays at MFL next week (another Top 10 matchup) and if MFL wins there would be a 3-way tie for the district title (if these three beat everyone else). Wapsie beat MFL 21-20 two weeks ago. Three really solid teams in district 4.

S. Winn gets a big 26-14 win over Wapsie Valley.

Reactions: leeps
Hope Wapsie sees south Winn again when Wapsie has their full team not bunch kids out. I think the score will be flip flopped.
Good to see S Winn take it to Wapsie on the road. S Winn, Wapsie, MFL all solid contenders in the playoffs.

I'll eat crow when I deserve it... I didn't think they'd score 56 that's for sure! Regina played well and Lisbon's offense struggled like I said they would. Was too much for their Defense to be on the field for probably 75% of the night. Lisbon made some crucial mistakes and couldn't slow down Kolie in the run game in the 2nd half. As a fan without a dog in the fight, the zebras were huge Regina fans too. Lots of holding all night long that never got called. Horrible taunting call against Lisbon early in the game that looked like it rattled Lisbon's sophomore secondary. With that being said, Regina is probably the state champs as long as they keep Cook, Kolie, and Wick healthy. They're a good team. Lisbon isn't at that level.

Hope Wapsie sees south Winn again when Wapsie has their full team not bunch kids out. I think the score will be flip flopped.

Looking at the stats, it appears Wapsie had most their team. Comparing to MFL game, they had virtually all their yards and 6 of their top 7 in tackles from the MFL game. It doesn’t look like “bunch kids out”?

They're a good team. Lisbon isn't at that level.
No Class A team should be on the level of 2A team........ @Pinehawk @cidhawkeye

Although, I think Cid still actually gets his panties in a bunch about this, so maybe I shouldn't tag him and incur his rage.......................nah. :cool:

Pine, meanwhile, has pretty much resigned himself to conceding the fact that Regina is blessed with advantages, and he's not gonna bother denying it anymore. He's full-on heel/bad guy, "derp well maybe you should just.....git gud.....if you don't like it", and he no longer cares who knows it. ;)

I suspect Grundy Center, St. Ansgar, S. Winn and others may be as good as some 2A teams as well.
Every year there are teams from lower classes that are better than upper class teams. That is nothing new.
You just hate Regina. When any team is successful for very long, inevitably there will be people like you that can't handle well at all.

No Class A team should be on the level of 2A team........ @Pinehawk @cidhawkeye

Although, I think Cid still actually gets his panties in a bunch about this, so maybe I shouldn't tag him and incur his rage.......................nah. :cool:

Pine, meanwhile, has pretty much resigned himself to conceding the fact that Regina is blessed with advantages, and he's not gonna bother denying it anymore. He's full-on heel/bad guy, "derp well maybe you should just.....git gud.....if you don't like it", and he no longer cares who knows it. ;)

Lol... rage.... not even close. Don’t even get emotional about this stuff.

Lol... rage.... not even close. Don’t even get emotional about this stuff.
giphy-downsized.gif

I suspect Grundy Center, St. Ansgar, S. Winn and others may be as good as some 2A teams as well.
Every year there are teams from lower classes that are better than upper class teams. That is nothing new.
You just hate Regina. When any team is successful for very long, inevitably there will be people like you that can't handle well at all.
Yeah?...Well, then, stop being successful for a long period of time, and the problem takes care of itself...........:D

Quite possibly next year... Regina has a senior heavy team. Will lose top passer, rusher, & receiver. But they will have their two stud tackles back. I'm sure they'll still be a force because they have good coaching, but they won't be the same powerhouse as this year's team is. Their JV has really struggled this year though I'm not sure how that compares to past years. They even lost to N. Cedar (who is really bad) and got thoroughly pounded by Lisbon's JV earlier this week.

Quite possibly next year... Regina has a senior heavy team. Will lose top passer, rusher, & receiver. But they will have their two stud tackles back. I'm sure they'll still be a force because they have good coaching, but they won't be the same powerhouse as this year's team is. Their JV has really struggled this year though I'm not sure how that compares to past years. They even lost to N. Cedar (who is really bad) and got thoroughly pounded by Lisbon's JV earlier this week.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT