ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Night, Jan. 31 Scores, Comments

CMB 49, North Polk 41
CMB outscored them 25-6 in the second half.

Will Clapper - CMB 20 pts
Cole Damman - CMB 13 pts

Cascade 49, Monticello 40
Ames 65, Urbandale 40
CPU 65, Benton Comm. 53- OT
Iowa City West 83, CR Kennedy 53 (Trojans are dominant)
Newton 67, Oskaloosa 36
Pella Christian 55, Indianola 50
Vinton-Shellsburg 62, Marion 51
Webster City 52, Ft. Dodge St. Edm. 43
West Delaware 69, Solon 57
Boyden-Hull 81, Central Lyon 76
Dallas Center- Grimes 67, Grinnell 55
Dubuque Hempstead 86, Waterloo West 65 (Mustangs's defense has team on huge roll)
Gladbrook- Reinbeck 58, AGWSR 55 (Close game with lots of talent. Schmoldt over 2000.)
Grand View Christian 105, Twin Cedars 51
Pella 67, Norwalk 56 (Some picking Pella #1)
Fort Dodge 70, Ankeny 66
Garner-Hayfield 80, Eagle Grove 32
North Scott 56, Bettendorf 47 (Top of MAC up for grabs?)
CR Xavier 70, Cedar Falls 60 (One reason 3A substate 4 pairings are meaningless)
West Lyon 67, Rock Valley 65 ) OT (Game of the Night?)
CR Prairie 83, City, Iowa City 65
Atlantic 72, Harlan 49
Dubuque Senior 69, CR Jefferson 53 (Rams still playing without top player)
Omaha Skutt 54, SC Heelan 52
Clinton 60, Pleasant Valley 51 (Doesn't happen often)
Muscatine 75, Burlington 26 ( I feel for the Hounds)
Sioux City East 61, CB Abe Lincoln 51
Dubuque Wahlert 72, CR Washington 51
Waukee 56, WDM Dowling 44 (CIML is a little crazy this year)
Mount Vernon 56, Maquoketa 34 (MV's losses all to top ranked teams)

Last edited:
Several games where the results don't necessarily surprise me but the margins do, the Solon-West Deleware game and Osky-Newton in particular

Xavier just might be turning it on at the right time...big win over Cedar Falls.

Pretty young???...they have 1 freshman playing ??....other than that they have 1 soph and the rest are upperclassmen.....no excuse for a 30 pt shellacking???

That Newton-Osky score shows the vast difference amongst 3A and 4A teams, Newton is the #15 ranked team in 4A by BCMoore and Osky is the #14 ranked 3A team.

That same Osky team lost to Newton by 13 earlier in the year, lost to Pella by 1, lost to DCG by 2, lost to Norwalk by 1 and has beaten Pella Christian twice. Could be they just played really bad against a good team, it happens.

That same Osky team lost to Newton by 13 earlier in the year, lost to Pella by 1, lost to DCG by 2, lost to Norwalk by 1 and has beaten Pella Christian twice. Could be they just played really bad against a good team, it happens.
It is very possible, happens quite often. But I also think it is telling that they have yet to play Newton to a single digit game. Im not trying to bad mouth Osky here, just pointing out the vast difference amongst 3A and 4A teams.
That being said, good 3A teams beat poor and average 4A teams quite often.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
In my opinion, Osky's most talented players (in no particular order) are a freshman, a sophomore, two juniors, and a senior. Because their talent is spread over multiple classes, they're primed for a run of success. However, when two of your top 5 players are underclassmen in the Little Hawkeye Conference, some dips will occur. It still surprises me that they only have three LHC wins including the two vs. PC.

Newton, however, is just a really solid team. They have no depth... usually only play 6 players. But they can play multiple styles well including being able to run deliberate sets to score. They are solid defenders, and they don't turn the ball over. They are well-coached. These are the reasons they're fighting for the second spot in the conference.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT