ADVERTISEMENT

Top coaches

Nov 11, 2017
Seen some top coaching lists on Twitter for colleges lately. I’ve always thought this might be fun waiting on the season. I would love to see some people’s top 15 active head coaches in Iowa and top 15 up and coming! This is hard because many coaches have superior talent and there are some great coaches who have done more with less so let’s have some fun…

Last edited:
I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a list of 15 but the two head coaches from the two schools in my county i think should be included. One on each list.

Drew Clevenger in St. Ansgar. I don't know exactly what year he started in St. Ansgar but was around the year 2000. When he took over the program wasn't anything to write home about. Although they had periodic success and graduated Matt Sherman in the early 90s. Now if they don't reach the state playoffs its shocking. The work ethic he instills in the athletes is pretty incredible.

The other is Torian Wolf from at osage. He only has I think 3 years head coaching experience. The first 2 at rockford where he took them to the 8 player championship in his first year after rockford went nearly 3 full seasons without winning a game. the following year he took rockford back to the playoffs. I think that was 2018 and 2019. He took over at osage for the 2020 season and while it wasnt a great season for Osage, lots of things working against a new coach in 2020, mainly the limited contract with the players before the season.

I could see osage becoming a perennial force with him at the reins. Time will tell. They did have a large number of freshman on the roster last year which makes me think the students are excited he is there.

I'm sure I missed some, and I will say that I left some people off that maybe haven't done it for an extended period of time. I would also say that we have had some really good coaches retire recently.

Bettendorf- Aaron Wiley
Cedar Falls- Brad Remmert
Centennial- Jerry Pezzetti
CR Xavier- Duane Schulte
DNH- Don Betts
Don Bosco- Colby Yoder
Dowling- Tom Wilson
Fremont Mills- Jason Christiansen
Gladbrook Reinbeck- John Olson
IKM-Manning- Tom Casey
North Scott- Kevin Tippett
PCM- Greg Bonnett
Pella- Jay McKinstrey
Saint Ansgar- Drew Clevenger
SCC- Bryan Case
South Winn- Jason Ohrt
Valley- Gary Swenson
Van Meter- Eric Trudo
Waukon- Chad Beermann
Webster City- Bob Howard
West Branch- Butch Pedersen
West Delaware- Doug Winkowitsch
West Lyon- Jay Rozeboom
West Sioux- Ryan Schwiesow
Williamsburg- Curt Ritchie

Reactions: IGo42 and jandj
Up and comer....Mark Sanger of West Hancock, Britt. Took on the role of co-head coach in 2019 when his dad was sick. Won state, went 13-0. Also, in 2018, Coach Bob Sanger was ill and Mark mostly ran the show as an assistant. Were inches away from the title game that season. In 2020, in his first full season as head coach, went 9-2 and lost in a close quarterfinal game to Grundy Center. The Grundy coach and his d-coordinator need to be on this list as well.

They both came to mind but haven’t been at it very long. I do think that Mark Sanger is a good coach I hope he is able to create his own legacy. The Grundy coach sort of walked into a great situation, he did nothing at Wahlert.

I'm sure I missed some, and I will say that I left some people off that maybe haven't done it for an extended period of time. I would also say that we have had some really good coaches retire recently.

Bettendorf- Aaron Wiley
Cedar Falls- Brad Remmert
Centennial- Jerry Pezzetti
CR Xavier- Duane Schulte
DNH- Don Betts
Don Bosco- Colby Yoder
Dowling- Tom Wilson
Fremont Mills- Jason Christiansen
Gladbrook Reinbeck- John Olson
IKM-Manning- Tom Casey
North Scott- Kevin Tippett
PCM- Greg Bonnett
Pella- Jay McKinstrey
Saint Ansgar- Drew Clevenger
SCC- Bryan Case
South Winn- Jason Ohrt
Valley- Gary Swenson
Van Meter- Eric Trudo
Waukon- Chad Beermann
Webster City- Bob Howard
West Branch- Butch Pedersen
West Delaware- Doug Winkowitsch
West Lyon- Jay Rozeboom
West Sioux- Ryan Schwiesow
Williamsburg- Curt Ritchie
Good list. Jerod Burns is another. He's not an all-timer yet but what he's accomplished at BGM is impressive

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a list of 15 but the two head coaches from the two schools in my county i think should be included. One on each list.

Drew Clevenger in St. Ansgar. I don't know exactly what year he started in St. Ansgar but was around the year 2000. When he took over the program wasn't anything to write home about. Although they had periodic success and graduated Matt Sherman in the early 90s. Now if they don't reach the state playoffs its shocking. The work ethic he instills in the athletes is pretty incredible.

The other is Torian Wolf from at osage. He only has I think 3 years head coaching experience. The first 2 at rockford where he took them to the 8 player championship in his first year after rockford went nearly 3 full seasons without winning a game. the following year he took rockford back to the playoffs. I think that was 2018 and 2019. He took over at osage for the 2020 season and while it wasnt a great season for Osage, lots of things working against a new coach in 2020, mainly the limited contract with the players before the season.

I could see osage becoming a perennial force with him at the reins. Time will tell. They did have a large number of freshman on the roster last year which makes me think the students are excited he is there.
To say St. Ansgar wasn’t anything to write home about is a real misconception. Rich Sherman built one of the top programs in North Iowa during his long tenure at St. Ansgar. Prior to playoff football, they were consistently Corn Bowl contenders and carried it over into district play under Rich. The program may have slipped a bit after Rich retired but don’t discount what he built. Rich is a Hall of Fame Coach with a 30 year record of 181-72-2 in 30 years, primarily at STA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT