ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Lombardi at Washington

This is a situation where I am sure Lombardi went over the line in different situations, he seems like a high strung old school coach who would do something that in today's world is inappropriate. However I also think that the term "bullying" is thrown around way too much, what exactly is bullying, and are their cases where parents need to cut the cord? Now don't get me wrong I don't think any player should be bullied, by a coach, team mate, or anyone. I just want there to be a clearer definition of what exactly bullying is so that coaches aren't put in a situation where they are accused of something and lose a job or something like that.

I have no connection to Washington, or Lombardi, and I don't want to seem like I am defending him, or against him, but I do want clarity on what exactly "bullying" is.

Let's face it -- if Wash would have made it to the state quarterfinals last season like they did 2 seasons ago, he wouldn't have been forced to resign. After finishing 3-6 last season, the school district really had no choice.

I wonder i the players will stay or open enroll else where to show their disappointment with the parents\admin?

As a parent of a student at Washington, no, our choice of Washington as our children's school has no bearing on the coach of the football team.

I for one am sad to see Tony go. I believe his early leaving at Washington Football has everything to do with vindictive parents and nothing to do with what it should. My son has been involved with Lombardi coached football for the last 2 years and honestly loved him as a coach. He pushed the kids hard and got results. After many hours on the field watching practice I never saw the behavior they speak of.

I think that Coach Lombardi acted consistently with the experiences he had prior to his hire at CR Washington. He was that type of coach, and that is what CR Washington desired upon his hire. Coach Lombardi could've been better served by those who were around him, but that is the team he helped build.

Interestingly, Coach Lombardi had a difficult situation to handle some years past with regard to on-field comments between CRW and LM players. He seemed to handle it well enough. And, he has overseen the CRW program when it has produced as many Division I footballers, or more, than the other programs in town. Additionally, he has adapted his style to fit the resources available to him in football. So there are accomplishments to consider.

On the other hand, he riled a lot of folks in the youth program and was a very visible fellow, as he made mistakes and as he enjoyed successes. A stronger team around him would've counseled him well to alter his behaviors earlier in the course of things.

Finally, he resigned to spend more time with family, albeit amidst some pressures.

Seems as though he acted consistently with his past experiences, which were known upon hire. I really didn't glean, from any of the public information, how it is that Coach Lombardi had a severe, negative impact on a particular Washington student or athlete.

Good luck to Coach Lombari and the CRW program. They'll both need it.

Originally posted by mrcwillis:
As a parent of a student at Washington, no, our choice of Washington as our children's school has no bearing on the coach of the football team.

I for one am sad to see Tony go. I believe his early leaving at Washington Football has everything to do with vindictive parents and nothing to do with what it should. My son has been involved with Lombardi coached football for the last 2 years and honestly loved him as a coach. He pushed the kids hard and got results. After many hours on the field watching practice I never saw the behavior they speak of.
Nice to hear a parent's side. Best of luck to CRW and to finding a replacement. I would go young myself, get an assistant from another 4A school or HC from a smaller successful program - Maybe Cook from ICR?! ;)

CR Gazette today featured an article on parents from CRW that support/supported Lombardi. About 100 gathered, along with his wife, to take issue with the main proponent's claim that she represented others. These parents expressed it to be more of a vendetta.

I think CRW hired Coach Lombardi with full knowledge of his approach and demeanor, seeking just that to help further their football program and, in turn, the school environment. They now have some other issues at hand, in part due to the handling of the the situation they aimed to create.

Look for this to continue to play out...with a lot of frustration yet to be expressed, on both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT