ADVERTISEMENT

Time to transfer.....

basketball777

Varsity
Jan 7, 2009
Spring Break is coming....will there be any notable players transferring soon so as to get their 90 days in before the 15-16 season starts in November....
uzi.r191677.gif

Well, there aren't any more Stubbs boys left to play musical chairs in the DSM private school scene, but I suppose the daughter could try ICA or ACA next year...

Originally posted by Cheer_for_the_Hawks!:

Well, there aren't any more Stubbs boys left to play musical chairs in the DSM private school scene, but I suppose the daughter could try ICA or ACA next year...
Don't forget Jok from Roosevelt to Valley....
fighting0010.r191677.gif

I found it odd how the TV announcers made comment about Klien from Wiillamsburg,, that he was a role player for IC West and has a Championship ring last year,,, wanted to find a place to contribute more... & I think they said "landed in Willaimsburg" Sounded like a college or Pro thing.

Tough week for Klein losing his grandpa, would have been good to see them move on. Did they move to Williamsburg?

Originally posted by basketball777:

Originally posted by Cheer_for_the_Hawks!:

Don't forget Jok from Roosevelt to Valley....
fighting0010.r191677.gif
True, but I don't remember Peter's Dad going with him to coach...

Originally posted by cyard31:
I found it odd how the TV announcers made comment about Klien from Wiillamsburg,, that he was a role player for IC West and has a Championship ring last year,,, wanted to find a place to contribute more... & I think they said "landed in Willaimsburg" Sounded like a college or Pro thing.
4/5 starters are not from Williamsburg. But it's a public school. Never mind.

Saywhat - I could care less who ends up at a private school versus public.
It is part of the game these days - schools are trying to get the best players.
Is it a public versus private thing. No, not at all.
Public school coaches are trying just as hard as private school coaches to bring the best players into their school.

But, there is no tuition at a public school that I know of. Public school A, Public school B - which one do you like?
I do have an issue when a private school waives or reduces tuition to get a kid into their school, that is a competitive advantage.
All my Wahlert friends laugh at it. Josh Carter's tuition was practically waved when he transferred in from Hempstead. Wahlert also covered Domen Zevnik's tuition 2 years ago when federal law prohibited him from playing 2 years at a public school.

Other than that, my biggest complaint is with the 4 3A private schools playing down in the state tourney after playing 80% of their games versus 4A during the regular season because of conference alignments. That is not competitive balance for the other 3A schools. If your enrollment is that of a 3A, fine, play the 3A tourney. But at least 70% of your regular season games should be against teams from your class.

As far as transfers go. I'm split on this one.
If you transfer to stack a team - wrong.
But, since you only get 4 years of HS basketball. If you are a solid player like Klein but have 5 D1 players in your way at ICW, I could see wanting to play. I'm not sure what type of message that sends to the kid.
This post was edited on 3/13 10:36 AM by Ramsfor3

This post was edited on 3/13 3:29 PM by Ramsfor3

Still lives in North Liberty.. so spent the $ commuting rather that paying tuition @ a private. just sayin'

Hmm - paying the money on commuting rather than tuition..
That is the family's choice.
Not the choice of a school to waive tuition for a good athlete.

This post was edited on 3/13 3:29 PM by Ramsfor3

Was the tuition waved because of the athletic ability or did they get their tuition reduced based on a financial need basis? I am sure there is some tuition help given but the school my kids attend does it based on need....this is where you can throw in the 'well we NEED a point guard' joke if you like.

I can let it go a couple of times, but it's 'waived' people...should have gone to private school.
;-)

As someone who has followed IL high school sports most of my life, I sort of find these posts odd in regards to Iowa sports. Doesn't the fact that Iowa has open enrollment sort of make all of this moot? I mean, kids can basically go to whatever school they want to for whatever reasons they want to, right? I realize there are rules pertaining to sports, but if a family is willing to relocate or pay tuition to send their kid to a certain school, so be it.

Hey Rams...you know nothing about Josh Carter if you think Wahlert waived a penny for him to attend that school. They didn't give any kind of discount. Full $6800 per year paid by his parents. Holy Family wouldn't even waive the non-Catholic parish discount so they paid an extra $1200 per year because they don't belong to local parish. Why do you think Josh's brother won't be attending Wahlert next year? Too expensive! Great school and great team but waaaay to expensive! He wasn't recruited by Wahlert either.

If anybody thinks private schools waive or reduce tuition based on athletic ability they know nothing about the private school systems. If they did anything like that and the family who's kid is in the band found out they would have a mutiny on their hands and would risk losing vast amounts of kids. When parents are paying for an education at a private school the golden rule that can't be broken is that every family be treated the same in regards to Tuition. If not you risk losing kids and the school ultimately failing. Every kid or family has the same financial forms to fill out for aid and all are treated equal. Anybody that says otherwise is mistaken and uninformed. Of course, most of the BS post on this subject come from the uninformed.

440Runner is correct. Under Holy Family policy (and, I believe the law of the state of Iowa which authorized the development of STO's) initial financial aid decisions are made by an outside vendor. In the case of Holy Family, a firm out of Ohio. After your initial ability to pay is determined, a second appeal process is used to determine financial aid for families. In practice, what this means is that STO money is heavily allocated towards poorer households and secondary money flows toward middle-class and upper-class families that are active in parishes. Actually a pretty transparent process. Much bigger force at work to keep practicing Catholic's in the school that most people realize.

That said, where the private schools do have a big advantage is in informal recruiting. "Hey, your kid is pretty good, considered having him go to Wahlert?" In addition, people way, way underestimate the desire of many people to avoid some of the public schools around Dubuque (Iowa City, Cedar Rapids........). So, the private schools have a really high transfer rate into the schools (to be clear, Wahlert's Freshman class is LARGER than the 8th grade classes). I have always wondered if the transfers in actually have a higher athletic participation rate than the general population. Lots of kids go to Wahlert who do nothing.

440runner, you may be 100% correct in everything you noted, however, there are cases where the tuition is paid or provided by boosters. This way the tuition is still paid, yet the cost may not be incurred by the student's family.

Originally posted by mvcdbqfan:
440runner, you may be 100% correct in everything you noted, however, there are cases where the tuition is paid or provided by boosters. This way the tuition is still paid, yet the cost may not be incurred by the student's family.
I don't believe this is true. I have never heard of such a thing. You think people have thousands of dollars to spend on sending other people's kids to school? No way.

Now that tournament is over, it makes you wonder if the Berg, wouldn't have gave in to parent pressure, and politics, West would have won another title. Sometimes as coach you have to put the best players on the court. I've watched that player from Williamsburg play CR schools since junior high, one of the best players in the state, IMO.

I don't know how it works with other private schools, but it isn't like they hand out scholarships for kids to attend those schools.

The private schools will help families who want to join, but financially can't afford all of the costs. They don't give them a free ride, but rather reduce the costs and that is available to any student who wants to join.

Most of the kids who transfer in from public schools do it by paying themselves or some of the alumni of the schools will pay tuition of certain kids if they play for that specific private school. It isn't the school doing it all for them. I know this happens for wrestlers in the Quad Cities.

Cylando, You are insinuating favoritism. There is none. People transfer out of West because they either don't like the idea of not getting starting/playing time because of the depth of talent in a larger school or they just plain don't get along with others. Usually, it's parents who have the means to get there kid somewhere they can get more playing time and exposure. Not because they are treated unfairly. The coach played the best kids that were available.
This post was edited on 3/15 10:24 PM by On Wings of Eagles

Originally posted by cylando:
Now that tournament is over, it makes you wonder if the Berg, wouldn't have gave in to parent pressure, and politics, West would have won another title. Sometimes as coach you have to put the best players on the court. I've watched that player from Williamsburg play CR schools since junior high, one of the best players in the state, IMO.
ICW lost because they couldn't stay in front of Seales or Stewart even with the double teams being constant. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Klein would have not been able to do anything better than anyone else for ICW. Sometimes teams just match up better and are able to make the plays to win. North Scott probably isn't the better team talent wise, but they had a few players that could exploit weaknesses in ICW and they were able to take advantage and get the shots to fall. McCaffery struggled offensively and DiLeo was battling foul trouble due to being caught in bad positions all game and when he was in he forced things.

Stewart was inconsistent shooting this year, but he was on in that game. He hit one from a foot outside the NBA line.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but Klein would have not been able to do anything better than anyone else for ICW."

Your joking right?

Klein would have been a much better match-up defensively than 4 out of the 5 ICW starters.

Originally posted by ICParrent:
"Sorry to burst your bubble, but Klein would have not been able to do anything better than anyone else for ICW."

Your joking right?

Klein would have been a much better match-up defensively than 4 out of the 5 ICW starters.
I would love to hear this explanation.

Klein is a heck of a player, but he would have made no difference.

Marlon Stewart is taller, MUCH stronger, and just as fast or faster than Klein. Lane is the only ICW guy with the strength to match him up. McCaffery and Lohaus have the length to match up. Klein trying to guard Stewart would have been no different than Henderson trying to guard Stewart.

If Klein was guarding Seales it would have been a similar situation and even bigger mismatch. Seales is much taller, much stronger, and equally as quick. Seales could post up or simply rise above Klein on the offensive end.

The other thing that would have made things worse for ICW with Klein is that his height would have allowed North Scott to make the passes out of the double teams easier. North Scott was a team that rarely turned the ball over this season and ICW really thrived against teams that did that. Klein wasn't going to help force anymore turnovers.

He may have offered more offensively, but who knows if he would have had an off game like DiLeo or McCaffery did.

And the fun begins, Jared Printy transfers from CR Wash to Linn Mar is the buzz going around on the SE side of Cedar Rapids.

Originally posted by laurencenim2:
And the fun begins, Jared Printy transfers from CR Wash to Linn Mar is the buzz going around on the SE side of Cedar Rapids.
Wouldn't be surprised. Jordan Bohannon and Jared are pretty good friends. Jaime is at Linn Mar. Jenna is at Linn Mar. Jordan is at Linn Mar. I would guess Carly will end up at Linn Mar.

Per the Metro Sports Report, Printy is transferring to Linn-Mar and will begin classes there next Monday. His father, one of the all time Wash greats, was quoted as saying that it was a family decision that they thought was best for Jared. More like what would be best for his chances to play college ball since Wash has struggled ever since Ogelsby and Washpun graduated.

This post was edited on 3/17 6:52 AM by crich1

Printy transferring to Linn-Mar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT