ADVERTISEMENT

This weeks matchups

What's going on at Mid-Prairie? Seems like they were banged up going into the SK game and came out in even worse shape. Hate to see injuries any time, but especially when they pile up.

Not sure what type of matchup it will be, but DCG vs Johnston is interesting, it has to be the first time that DCG has played one of the Big Boys in football, and you would have to guess with where they are located at they will eventually become one of those schools.

Other "BIG" games I see

Norwalk vs. Lewis Central
Ankeny vs Dowling
Winterset vs. Van Meter
Linn Mar vs. Pleasant Valley
Pella vs. Indianola
West Delaware vs Decorah

I'm seeing Mid Prairie forfeited? What happened?
That is ridiculous.

Isn’t eihc a Mid Prairie person? Any insights?
I'm seeing Mid Prairie forfeited? What happened?
That is ridiculous.
Per @rc1963,

It looks like all you’re going to see for game film will be from the first two games. Mid Prairie has canceled Friday. Really hate to lose a game from the schedule, but my understanding is that they are in really bad injury shape and no one likes to see that.

I heard several injuries from last Friday and a small Covid outbreak.
That’s what your team depth is for. You put your best team on the field with who you have available.

You don’t cancel the game and take that opportunity away from an entire other team.
Second year in a row Mid Prairie has backed out on a game. Not sure why anyone would really want to risk scheduling them at this point moving forward.

Reactions: ghost80
That’s what your team depth is for. You put your best team on the field with who you have available.

You don’t cancel the game and take that opportunity away from an entire other team.
Second year in a row Mid Prairie has backed out on a game. Not sure why anyone would really want to risk scheduling them at this point moving forward.
I generally agree except that if your "best available" has no business on a varsity field and the risk of injury is too great. No one wins if a kid who isn't ready has to take the field.

If Mid Prairie has had to back out 2 years in a row and it isn't related to COVID, they shouldn't be playing 11 man.

I heard tonight that they are pulling together a roster of 11, including some upper classmen to be able to play the PV game Monday. So, it doesn't sound like your normal, banged and bruised situation. Frankly, if taking a week gets them healthy for Districts, it's probably the right thing to do.

I guess so. They have 34 on their varsity bound roster. That’s not a big squad. Would have thought they could still field a team. But, apparently not. I hope they pull things back together for the rest of the season.

Just looked at BC Moore 2A. Top4 are all from district 2!
1. ELC
2. Spirit Lake
3. SEV
4. O-ABC-ING

BCMoore Rankings really are not very relevant until you get to at least week 4 or 5.

That being said, District 2 is very tough!! Will make for some interesting playoff matchups......

I guess so. They have 34 on their varsity bound roster. That’s not a big squad. Would have thought they could still field a team. But, apparently not. I hope they pull things back together for the rest of the season.
I don’t think they updated their roster from last year. Looks like it carried over from last year and made everyone a year older plus no freshmen are listed.

BCMoore Rankings really are not very relevant until you get to at least week 4 or 5.

That being said, District 2 is very tough!! Will make for some interesting playoff matchups......
Speaking of playoffs.....Is the state going to run it like they did last year?

Class 3A​

• Teams: 36
  • Districts: 6
  • Teams Per District: 6
  • Playoff Qualifiers: 16
  • Automatic Qualifiers: 12, top two per district
  • At-Large Berths: 4, RPI
  • Regular Season Games (Per Team): 9
  • District Games (Per Team): 5
  • Non-District Games (Per Team): 4

Class 2A​

• Teams: 48
  • Districts: 8
  • Playoff Qualifiers: 32
  • Automatic Qualifiers: 32, top four per district
  • At-Large Berths: 0, no RPI
  • Regular Season Games (Per Team): 8
  • Non-District Games (Per Team): 3

Class 1A​

Same as 1A and 2A, 4 per district no RPI. There are just a few more teams overall though.

West Lyon plays a 3A Sioux Center team who got beat last week by West Sioux and is big and fast. West Lyon was smoked by ELC and have a long ways to go to be a threat at making any push in playoffs. The Wildcats next week have Central Lyon and could very easily start the season 1-3. It will be interesting to see this group respond because last week they got embarrassed in all 3 phases of the game. They will need to play more physical and limit mistakes if they are going to have a chance against Sioux Center. I believe the Wildcats are down to their 4th string quarterback (JV kid). Also heard they have more kids down at some key positions. Time will tell if they have what it takes in the gut to respond. Stay tuned!

Reactions: MsideChief

Class 3A​

• Teams: 36
  • Districts: 6
  • Playoff Qualifiers: 16
  • Automatic Qualifiers: 12, top two per district
  • At-Large Berths: 4, RPI
  • Regular Season Games (Per Team): 9
  • Non-District Games (Per Team): 4

Class 2A​

Class 1A​

So that is the same as last year then. I just have not been able to find an updated version for this year. Last year it seemed like the state just matched up inter district (1-4, 2-3) and then second round went cross district based on geography. Is there anything from the state confirming that this is how this year, and suppose next year, is going to be.

West Lyon plays a 3A Sioux Center team who got beat last week by West Sioux and is big and fast. West Lyon was smoked by ELC and have a long ways to go to be a threat at making any push in playoffs. The Wildcats next week have Central Lyon and could very easily start the season 1-3. It will be interesting to see this group respond because last week they got embarrassed in all 3 phases of the game. They will need to play more physical and limit mistakes if they are going to have a chance against Sioux Center. I believe the Wildcats are down to their 4th string quarterback (JV kid). Also heard they have more kids down at some key positions. Time will tell if they have what it takes in the gut to respond. Stay tuned!
District 1 other Lyon county team has an interesting matchup against a very good and undefeated West Sioux team! Not sure if Central Lyon’s super QB will be enough to pull out the win. I’ll take West Sioux in a close one and Central Lyon starts the season 0-3.

So that is the same as last year then. I just have not been able to find an updated version for this year. Last year it seemed like the state just matched up inter district (1-4, 2-3) and then second round went cross district based on geography. Is there anything from the state confirming that this is how this year, and suppose next year, is going to be.
I can't find the current one either, but the qualification structure matches both the schedule and the fact that the state tends to say, 'you can assume everything's the same unless we tell you it's changed."

I seem to recall last year, that the playoffs were re-seeded following week 2. That essentially, you could consider is an 8 team tournament (per class) at that point. I'm not sure that that formula for the first two rounds is hard and fast though.

I can't find the current one either, but the qualification structure matches both the schedule and the fact that the state tends to say, 'you can assume everything's the same unless we tell you it's changed."

I seem to recall last year, that the playoffs were re-seeded following week 2. That essentially, you could consider is an 8 team tournament (per class) at that point. I'm not sure that that formula for the first two rounds is hard and fast though.
Correct, last year the IAHSAA let everyone into the playoffs (because some might potentially lose a game because of Covid-19 quarantine rules). After the first 3 rounds (down to the final 8) the coaches from those respective teams had a zoom with the IAHSAA and had 1 minute each to lobby where they believed their team should be seeded. Each coach then emailed Tharp and ranked all of the other teams (not his own team) 1-7. All the results were tabulated and after the quarterfinals (4 teams left) the IAHSAA used those rankings to seed the last 4 teams in the semifinals (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3). I would assume they'll use the same procedure this year.

Docholiday - good call! The Wildcats had too many mistakes. I read in the NWest Iowa review, West Lyon had 5 fumbles. Ugh - tough to win with that many turnovers.
Central Lyon had a BIG win over West Sioux (ahead 22-0 after first quarter). Looked like turnovers hurt the Falcons also. I still think West Sioux is a very good team just ran into a hornets nest with the Lions.

Dyersville Beckman built a 48-13 lead on the #5 2A ranked monticello team. Only two punts all year and both in 4th quarter with big leads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT