ADVERTISEMENT

Things I've learned about strokes:

mobala_tiger62

Varsity
May 29, 2001
They are God’s way of telling you that he’s still in charge.

You will recover at his pace no matter how impatient you are.

Little electrical circuits run around in the top of your head. They
stop and shock the hell out of you every now and then to get your
attention. Tylenol takes care of the subsequent headaches.

You play little math games and memory games trying to recover
the mental edge that you have lost.

It’s tough to wipe your a$$ left-handed. Even tougher right-handed
with no feelings in your fingers and a club at the end of your arm.

When you have to take a leak, your member is difficult to find and hold,
as the stroke has caused it to go as limp/numb as your side and other
parts. At 85, it wasn’t getting any use anyway and had been abused most
of its life. Also, at this point, you realize that Lasix is a tool of the devil.

When you try and eat with a fork the first time, your food is sometimes
flipped over your right shoulder. Yorkies like rice and gravy, and wives
break out laughing when you tell them about it.

You watch carefully every step you take so you won’t trip over a leaf,
or any other small article as you feel as though you are falling forward
at all times.

Physical therapists have as much patience as your wife.

Nobody thinks you should drive except you.

Neurologists do MRIs and ultrasounds, then send you home reminding
you to take your aspirin and Plavix, and come back in 90 days. I guess
they see dozens of stroke patients a day, but they don’t realize this
one was mine.

If you don’t have a sense of humor, you’ll go nuts.

Last edited:

of its life. Also, at this point, you realize that Lasix is a tool of the devil.

flipped over your right shoulder. Yorkies like rice, and gravy and wives

at all times.

one was mine.

Some of that made me sad, because I know it sucks. A lot of it made me laugh, because it is kind of funny.

Good to see you still alive and kicking old man river.

flipped over your right shoulder. Yorkies like rice, and gravy and wives

at all times.

one was mine.

Be still and know that I am Lord.

Those 8 words have owned me my entire life so far. What's the meaning of life??? Perhaps the understanding of that passage.

I have no idea...as it's still owning the shit out of me.

As I have discovered through the last three years of dealing with medical problems and it is evident in your post. If you can't laugh at some of the things/issues you have to deal with, it makes for a terrible life. As I tell people all the time, it is better to messed up and looking down at the ground vs. looking up at the ground.

God bless and try to keep seeing the bright side and another season of football.

Hang in there, my awbrin bruthuh! And whatever you do, DO NOT allow Nurse to talk you into a pecker exam!
I’m sure he’s already asked but tell him NO! HAYELL NO!
Last thing you need is for him to have a Vietnam flashback while “inspecting” you! Next thing ya know, he’s gotta 8” long needle and jabbin at you in a stabbing motion squirting penicillin all over the damn place!

My dad retired last December. He had two strokes and a TIA in January, thankfully no long term damage. He still gets worn out super easy and we have to make sure he doesn’t overdue it. They found blood clots in his lung and one from his groin down to his ankle in May, which they think caused the strokes. He had stints put in. He’s almost 100%, but very active days wear his ass out.

at all times.

one was mine.

Wishing you the best buddy.
My FIL suffered a pretty major stroke yesterday and is teetering on the edge. - no speech- can’t swallow. He’s 103 but tough as nails. Hoping you old API grads come through .

Wishing you the best buddy.
My FIL suffered a pretty major stroke yesterday and is teetering on the edge. - no speech- can’t swallow. He’s 103 but tough as nails. Hoping you old API grads come through .

I know nothing about your FIL other than what you have told us but I must concur, he is one tough man.

Prayers to you and your family brother.

Agreed. Even Nurse deserves sympathy on this one. After all, his FiL gave him a job and kept his little bitch ass up all these years. But due to the sensitivity of it all I’m not gonna bring that up.
Well since he was an oral surgeon … and I’m a chemical engineer- I’m interested in your theories on him giving me a job. What do you think that job was?

Just another example of your inability to remember your own bullshit.

at all times.

one was mine.

Hey man, take care of yourself.

My girl friend had a mild concussion Monday and thought she was over it in a couple of days. i kept telling her that it took a little longer maybe 2 weeks to get over one and she should be careful. But Thursday she decided she decided she was alright and knocked off a couple glassses of red wine. I fussed at her about it but she did it anyway.

She got a little sleepy at supper and we were coming out of the dining area she suddenly went limp and started to fall. I dropped my cane and tried to catch her and sure enough we both fell and hit our heads hard.

We went to the emergency room at the hospital and they did X-Rays and a CT on the head. They did so damn many X-Rays I think I might get cancer. But we both were cleared of any bad stuff and “set free“. Set free is correct when those emergency room dudes get hold of you.

I was really pissed at her but she has made me certain promises in a week or 2 when she gets over her bruisesShe is good at fulfilling promises.

My girl friend had a mild concussion Monday and thought she was over it in a couple of days. i kept telling her that it took a little longer maybe 2 weeks to get over one and she should be careful. But Thursday she decided she decided she was alright and knocked off a couple glassses of red wine. I fussed at her about it but she did it anyway.

She got a little sleepy at supper and we were coming out of the dining area she suddenly went limp and started to fall. I dropped my cane and tried to catch her and sure enough we both fell and hit our heads hard.

We went to the emergency room at the hospital and they did X-Rays and a CT on the head. They did so damn many X-Rays I think I might get cancer. But we both were cleared of any bad stuff and “set free“. Set free is correct when those emergency room dudes get hold of you.

I was really pissed at her but she has made me certain promises in a week or 2 when she gets over her bruisesShe is good at fulfilling promises.

Damn Bill, I'm glad you two are OK. That could have gone bad, quickly.

Scary shit. Glad ya'll are ok.

Reactions: BamaFan1137

OK Bill, Stop with all this bogus story. We know you and the sweet half were having wild sex and both were beating your brains out on the headboard but it was too good to stop . At your age you might want to slow down on that just a wee bit or put pillows between you and the headboard.

OK Bill, Stop with all this bogus story. We know you and the sweet half were having wild sex and both were beating your brains out on the headboard but it was too good to stop . At your age you might want to slow down on that just a wee bit or put pillows between you and the headboard.
Thanks for the compliment.

you are wrong. At my age you want to speed up.😇

Is she an alcoholic?

Is she an alcoholic?
No. A social drinker. We have a social hour at 4pm 6 days a week and the place serves wine. She had a regular class of wine before she went down and 2 glasses down there. Maybe 8 oz max. But she had had an attack of nausea that day and had been sleepy off and on all day. I told her to cool it but she kept saying she was alright. But these are signs of not being over a concussion and alcohol is bad.

We ate supper and just walked out of the dining hall and she went limp. I tried to catch her and we both fell. She doesn’t even remember falling.

No. A social drinker. We have a social hour at 4pm 6 days a week and the place serves wine. She had a regular class of wine before she went down and 2 glasses down there. Maybe 8 oz max. But she had had an attack of nausea that day and had been sleepy off and on all day. I told her to cool it but she kept saying she was alright. But these are signs of not being over a concussion and alcohol is bad.

We ate supper and just walked out of the dining hall and she went limp. I tried to catch her and we both fell. She doesn’t even remember falling.
Thanks for clarifying. I’m hopeful that she recovers soon!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT