ADVERTISEMENT

the schedules are out!

why is this "password protected" ? is it just prelim and some changes will be made? Not really sure why this needs to be secretive otherwise

why is this "password protected" ? is it just prelim and some changes will be made? Not really sure why this needs to be secretive otherwise
They were accidentally released, the state says those weren’t official. I imagine they are mostly all correct. They were supposed to be officially released yesterday, but they pushed them back to Thursday.

You answered your own question.

There are probably a handful of games that still need either date (Thurs/Fri) or site to be confirmed.

Well guys with what seems like no spring or summer sports coming up, time to long towards football season. Here is a quick run down of my top 10 and a little synopsis

1. Grundy Center
- return a lot of very talented skill players along with key lineman. Went toe to toe with West Hancock and earned a lot of people’s respect at the dome for that

2. Wapsie
- coming off a speculator basketball season, I expect Wapsie to ride that high into the next season. They have a very good QB and great WR that 95% of class A won’t be able to cover

3. St Alberts
- Had a bit of a disappointing season last year, but they played an extremely tough schedule that ended up not working in their favour. They return a TON and have one of the best traditions in the state. Have not seen their schedule though

4. St Ansgar
- probably the 2nd best team in the state last season and never got their chance to play West Hancock in the title because they overlooked a very good good Grundy team. They lost their best overall player and some great senior leadership but return much of there great offensive line and have great tradition

5. West Hancock
- Had a great season last year and rest in peace to the legendary Bob Sanger. West Hancock was interesting because even though they ran a wing T which is traditionally a slower paced slower scoring style, they dominated teams with there unstoppable running attack but their biggest weakness was there defensive backs and defense as a whole. This will be the exact opposite next year. IMHO they will be the best defensive team in the state next year and a solid offensive team with Kelly and Francis. LOST A LOT OF SENIORS

6. Belmond
- Lost one senior to graduation, and while he was a big loss, football is the ultimate team sport. This program has been very solid the past 3-4 years and I expect to make that big jump to become truly a contending team. Huge front 7 and they are all athletic and physical. Biggest problem is athleticism with their skill players. I don’t think they will have the athletic ability to stick with the teams above

7. Hinton
- While this squad does lose some great production, one quick glance at their quick stats and you can see they return a lot of size up front. I haven’t seen the team play, but like Belmond they’ve been really solid over the past 3-4 years. I expect them to make that same jump as Belmond. The loss of Konuckl (I know I misspelled it) is tough and will be a team effort to replace him

8. Hudson
- lose 7 seniors and by far there best player, but this team has been really good and I see they have quite a bit returning even with the loss of Flucher

9. EdCo
- They return quite a bit and are an extremely physical team compared to their counterparts in the area (they tend to play more smash football while that area likes to pass more then other areas). Return Rochford and leading rusher. While they return more then most of these teams, I have them this low because they got spanked pretty bad by St Ansgar last year. It will be interesting to see with there much together non district schedule how they do

10. Bishop Garrigan
- return a majority of their starters after going 6-3. Good tradition and will be strength in numbers next year with a large senior class. Very difficult schedule as Kevin pointed out so probably could make the playoffs with a 6-3 record

Well guys with what seems like no spring or summer sports coming up, time to long towards football season. Here is a quick run down of my top 10 and a little synopsis

1. Grundy Center
- return a lot of very talented skill players along with key lineman. Went toe to toe with West Hancock and earned a lot of people’s respect at the dome for that

2. Wapsie
- coming off a speculator basketball season, I expect Wapsie to ride that high into the next season. They have a very good QB and great WR that 95% of class A won’t be able to cover

3. St Alberts
- Had a bit of a disappointing season last year, but they played an extremely tough schedule that ended up not working in their favour. They return a TON and have one of the best traditions in the state. Have not seen their schedule though

4. St Ansgar
- probably the 2nd best team in the state last season and never got their chance to play West Hancock in the title because they overlooked a very good good Grundy team. They lost their best overall player and some great senior leadership but return much of there great offensive line and have great tradition

5. West Hancock
- Had a great season last year and rest in peace to the legendary Bob Sanger. West Hancock was interesting because even though they ran a wing T which is traditionally a slower paced slower scoring style, they dominated teams with there unstoppable running attack but their biggest weakness was there defensive backs and defense as a whole. This will be the exact opposite next year. IMHO they will be the best defensive team in the state next year and a solid offensive team with Kelly and Francis. LOST A LOT OF SENIORS

6. Belmond
- Lost one senior to graduation, and while he was a big loss, football is the ultimate team sport. This program has been very solid the past 3-4 years and I expect to make that big jump to become truly a contending team. Huge front 7 and they are all athletic and physical. Biggest problem is athleticism with their skill players. I don’t think they will have the athletic ability to stick with the teams above

7. Hinton
- While this squad does lose some great production, one quick glance at their quick stats and you can see they return a lot of size up front. I haven’t seen the team play, but like Belmond they’ve been really solid over the past 3-4 years. I expect them to make that same jump as Belmond. The loss of Konuckl (I know I misspelled it) is tough and will be a team effort to replace him

8. Hudson
- lose 7 seniors and by far there best player, but this team has been really good and I see they have quite a bit returning even with the loss of Flucher

9. EdCo
- They return quite a bit and are an extremely physical team compared to their counterparts in the area (they tend to play more smash football while that area likes to pass more then other areas). Return Rochford and leading rusher. While they return more then most of these teams, I have them this low because they got spanked pretty bad by St Ansgar last year. It will be interesting to see with there much together non district schedule how they do

10. Bishop Garrigan
- return a majority of their starters after going 6-3. Good tradition and will be strength in numbers next year with a large senior class. Very difficult schedule as Kevin pointed out so probably could make the playoffs with a 6-3 record

1. Grundy Center

2. Wapsie

3. St Alberts

4. St Ansgar

5. West Hancock

6. Belmond

7. Hinton

8. Hudson

9. EdCo

10. Bishop Garrigan

Two big mistakes, #1 Iowa City Regina is by far the #1 team in class A nobody even close and second Hudson has moved up to 1A.

Hudson is class 1A. Regina should definitely be in top 10.....maybe even make a case for number 1. They are a great program.

But....to say they are “number 1 and no one is even close.” Come on, man. Regina lost three games last year, got smoked in the three games they lost, and gave up 20 plus points a game. Regina may very well win the title but I think you will find that there is very little difference between the top teams in Class A and the top teams in Class 1A.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Hudson is class 1A. Regina should definitely be in top 10.....maybe even make a case for number 1. They are a great program.

But....to say they are “number 1 and no one is even close.” Come on, man. Regina lost three games last year, got smoked in the three games they lost, and gave up 20 plus points a game. Regina may very well win the title but I think you will find that there is very little difference between the top teams in Class A and the top teams in Class 1A.
One of the Regina guys may correct me but I believe they lost next to nothing from a dome team in a class higher. No matter if you think there’s not much of difference between A and 1A(which I agree), that alone should make top 3 the floor for them.

Two big mistakes, #1 Iowa City Regina is by far the #1 team in class A nobody even close and second Hudson has moved up to 1A.
Aw I had forgotten about Regina! Just forgot they were in class A and not 1A. Move everyone down one spot and Regina at 1

While I disagree that there is not a big difference between the top teams in class A and class 1A. I agree with the sentiment that they are not way better then everyone else. They’ll be the favourites, but they would have gotten smacked last year by West Hancock

1. Regina- I don't think they are the run away that everyone thinks they are, if you have watched Regina the last few years they aren't as physically imposing as the typical Regina teams, and while the were a dome team, that quad they came from was much weaker than the rest and they were probably somewhere around the 10th best team in 1A. With that being said they return a ton of production and you have to think that Coach Cook wants to get a title for this son. They do have a tough non-district schedule as usual, Mid-Prairie is probably a top 10 2A team, Tipton is a solid 2A program, Beckman seems like a team that could take a leap forward this year, and West Branch seems like it might be an ok game.

2. Grundy Center- They have a ton back from sort of a surprise team from last year that got really hot and improved as the season went along. It will be interesting to see how they handle the role of the front-runner this year. They are tested in the non-district as well, the DNH game should really show them how good they are, South Hardin is a better 1A team then some will realize, and Ed-Co has a really strong senior class. Newman was down last year, but played quite a few freshman.

3. St. Ansgar- Higher then most will think here, and while they lost their stud, they return almost everything else. That along with the fact that they are one of the most consistent programs in class A, I think they'll be a top 4 seed by the end of the season and should be a dome team. They have a tough but manageable schedule in the non-district.

4. St. Albert- I am not as high on the Falcons as some but I do think that this is probably a team that has the pieces to have a really good season, that is partly because I don't see them playing a schedule with too many road bumps. Treynor is a good 1A program but lost a ton, Earlham is in the same boat, good program but lost most starters, right now I see their toughest game being Lawton Bronson.

5. West Hancock- This is a tradition ranking as much as anything. They did lose a ton from their team last year, especially up front. I think that the line they had was one of the best I've seen at the class A level. But, in the end when you get 4 extra weeks of practice and you go up against that talent everyday in practice you are going to be good, how good, that we will see in the fall, but I am not betting against them. They do challenge themselves with their schedule. GHV and Forest City are 2A programs and rivals. Belmond-Klemme is a 1A team that someone tried to rank in class A so they are tough and South Winn is a good A program.

6. Ed-Co- I really like what they have returning especially the senior class that the are going to have, the younger Rochford kid may end up being better then his brother. My biggest concern might come down to depth, that has been their achillies heal in the past, and I know that they actually shared a middle school program with Maquoketa Valley over the past few year so you have to wonder about the numbers coming up.

7. South Winn- I put them here because I do think that they are a top 10 team in the state, but at the same time looking at their schedule their is a good chance that they are going to have to district to make the playoffs and Wapsie and MFL I think both could easily win the district. So ultimately I think this is a team that could surprise and sneak into the dome, but at the same time miss the playoffs completely.

8. Wapsie Valley- Some are higher on the Warriors and I think that they are plenty capable of making a run to the dome, but at the same time it may come down to winning a challenging district to get in. I don't think that there is any non district game that they can't win, but at the same time, I'm not sure there any games that are sure victories.

9. Woodbury Central- A dome team from last year that returns a some nice pieces, I honestly don't know what to do with them, but I think they deserve a mention.

10. Gehlen- This was a very young team last year that had its ups and downs. I think that they will be more consistent this year and much more successful.

Others to watch
Lake Mills, Lawton Bronson, MFL Mar-Mac, Lisbon, Bellevue, Belle Plaine, North Tama

Reactions: falconfanx3
I'll take a stab at putting together a top ten list for Class A 2020. I will preface right away that I am a West Hancock graduate and homer so I do see through some red tinted glasses......

1. Iowa City Regina- 1A dome team from last year. Haven't won a title for a handful of years now. Return decent talent. Weak district. Even teams they'd see in the first two rounds of the playoffs don't make my top ten. I see them waltzing their way to the Dome. Great coaching staff.

2. Grundy Center- played amazing, inspired ball in the playoffs. Lots of talent coming back. If a few breaks and calls went their way, they would've won the state title. Fate was just on WH's side that game. Their quarterback is outstanding. New coach did great. I was mostly impressed with their D-Coordinator though. He had great game plans put together for St. Ansgar and West Hancock in the Dome. They could win it all in 2020.

3. St. Albert's- Took their lumps with a tough schedule last year. I see them being hungry to improve this year. SW/Western Iowa football in Class A isn't overly strong right now. Same with Regina, could see them doing cart wheels to the Dome.

4. West Hancock- Like I said, I'm a homer but I do think that they will be much better than people expect. They lose a huge and talented senior class that helped them win a state title. The cupboard isn't bare though. Lots of pieces in place from last year's team. JV team I believe only lost one game. Sadly, this will be the first season since 1967 that Bob Sanger will not be the head coach. RIP Coach! I respect no one in this world more I did Bob Sanger. His son Mark has taken over the program and we'll continue to have "good football" as Coach Sanger stated last fall.

5. St. Ansgar- Always reloading. Clevenger is a great coach. Despite losing their stud, the cupboard isn't bare. Running game is hard too stop on a weekly basis.

6. South Winn- young team last year if I recall right. Tough, tough non-district schedule including a meeting with West Hancock. Fun to see some new teams playing each other. Great passing team; balanced offense. Tough to stop at this level often.

7. Garrigan- Always competitive. Well coached. Good size last year. Should be improved. Will battle WH for the district title. Tough non-district schedule could help them.

8. IKM-Manning- Saw them play WH in the 1st round. According to quikstats, they have some younger contributors from 2019. Got the playoff experience. I thought they were the best team WH played in the playoffs leading up to the title game.

9. Woodbury Central- pass heavy team the past few years. Some good athletes, including Manker, are back. Got that Dome experience which always makes you hungry for more.

10. Wapsie Valley- traditionally good each year. Won the basketball title which sometimes translates over to other sports. Could've made it farther last year in the playoffs. Return a decent group. Well coached.

Criticize away....it'll give us all something to do!!!

Reactions: falconfanx3
Iron Doc has emerged from his Winter command center under the Hwy 18 Boone River bridge. Upon emerging, he finds COVID-19 in place. NOT cool! Iron Doc hopes there is a 2020 season. If not, Iron Doc might have to migrate to the New Haven Potholes (long story from long ago in the Wrestling forum).
With that said, Iron Doc agrees with WHANCOCK's preseason assessment. The Fearsome Eagle Beast cupboard most definitely is not bare.

Reactions: WHANCOCK
I'm itching to see some football. Under 40 days to kickoff. Looking forward to seeing St. Ansgar's matchup with Osage this year. Years past, Osage has been heavy on the pass game. With Torian Wolf taking over at Osage it will be interesting to see if/how their gameplan changes.

I just saw Treynor posted there new schedule and I saw St. Albert is no longer listed? I heard a rumor last night that Treynors coach did not want to play saint Albert this year and bailed on them for clarinda. Really Hoping that isn’t true. I was looking forward to that game, Treynors Concession stand burgers are top notch, the popcorn too.

I do not know anything on that situation, but even though most teams chose to play 2 of their 4 non district assignments, I do know that there were a few that really wanted to play someone they didn't get, that are now playing each other. I think that when you see the new schedules (some coaches have released theirs) the top 3 determining factors were travel, traditional rivalries, and playing teams in a similar place program wise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT