ADVERTISEMENT

The Playoff Pod System is a Joke, so is the Geographical pairings

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
They should have seeded them 1-36. Used a little Geographical common sense and just played the playoffs.

The Coved 19 is a non factor teams are going to play teams no matter what part of the state they are in.

The pod system is stupid because someone thought it was more technical sound.

The Iowa Athletic Association is a collection of morons

Reactions: Hawkfreak2k15
They should have seeded them 1-36. Used a little Geographical common sense and just played the playoffs.

The Coved 19 is a non factor teams are going to play teams no matter what part of the state they are in.

For 4A at least it’s technically not too late. After they play the 4 games this Friday and then the round of 32 on Oct 23rd when they go to regroup the round of 16 (Which is the normal number anyway) they could set it up without geography. The 16 teams are going to be spread out from Sioux City to Dubuque anyway and someone’s going to be traveling no matter what they do. They already have Sioux City going to Des Moines and ankeny to Sioux City in the first pods so avoid the Sioux City to Bettendorf type trip but other than that don’t pod all of the ciml teams together. From the way it is laid out and likely outcomes about 8 of the 16 will be Des Moines area so what are they going to do make them 2 full pods and then let the others drive all over to have 2 non Des Moines area pods?

Yeah the challenge will be hopefully spreading the CIML top teams out so as to not end up with only two survivors for the Dome (because let’s be honest, in all probability the top four are from the CIML).

Yeah the challenge will be hopefully spreading the CIML top teams out so as to not end up with only two survivors for the Dome (because let’s be honest, in all probability the top four are from the CIML).

unfortunately I’m sure it will probably be 2 from Des Moines area at dome but we can hope! They have 4 “quasi” 1 seeds that you can see based on who they put in pods of 3 and facing a “play in” opponent in round 2: SEP, Ankeny, Pleasant Valley, and Iowa City West. I assume if they all make it to the round of 16 which they should they will put those 4 in separate pods and fill 3 others into each. So you will have a pod with SEP and a pod with Ankeny. What are the odds they don’t put Dowling into one of those and a Waukee into one of those? It would be nice if they would put Dowling in a IC or PV pod and Waukee in the other but I doubt it. These DSM area schools are all likely to make it to the round of 16 and that’s half right there and they will likely make up all or the majority of 2 pods:

1 SEP
2 Dowling
3 ankeny
4 Waukee
5 Urbandale
6 the Johnston/Indianola winner
(All 6 basically guaranteed locks)
Plus:
7?-I can see centennial beating SC East possibly
8?-and Valley could beat Council Bluffs Lincoln

We need maybe SC East to beat centennial and then you also have the winner of SC west vs council bluffs Jefferson. That gives at least one and maybe 2 west teams that make sense to put with DSM area pods and then can send some DSM areas East. Hard to justify sending SC or CB schools past DSM further East! Also a fort dodge win over Waterloo west helps as FD in a DSM pod makes more sense while Waterloo west would likely go in an eastern pod.

Last edited:
Reactions: franky1967
This year I’d be surprised if any team East of the DM metro can compete with SEP, Ankeny, Dowling or Waukee.

Reactions: franky1967
I'm thinking the top 4 are from the West and I follow the East

yea..they could have somewhat did that..,,,i dont think it would be right to have a school from davenport travel to sioux city...that would be tough

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT