ADVERTISEMENT

The end of the combustion engine?

I swing both ways! I have a hybrid … but also a Mustang GT.
BTW Trying to find a good deal on a 66-67 GTO. Let me know if you hear of one that I can look at. Bottle of Old Pappy for a successful buy.
Gotta source for the GTO but it won’t be cheap. What’s your budget?

I swing both ways! I have a hybrid … but also a Mustang GT.
BTW Trying to find a good deal on a 66-67 GTO. Let me know if you hear of one that I can look at. Bottle of Old Pappy for a successful buy.

I'd recommend the 66 if you get a reasonable option.

There’s a Tesla charging “station” in a parking area near a local grocery store and it’s amazing how many cars utilize it.

He does realize that he's a president, not a dick-tater, right?

By "he" I mean whoever wrote his intention to blah, blah, blah for him.

I don’t mind pushing more electric vehicle use, but with some caveats.
1) in truth we are just moving the carbon burn from the vehicle to the power plant. Is that better or worse?
2) the materials used to make the batteries are acquired through labor practices that wouldn’t fly in many places. I guess it’s ok if it’s “other people?”
3) a phased approach that is more carrot than stick will be better received and have fewer negative unintended consequences, akin to a phased approach with China re: tariffs abs manufacturing ($1 to @David_Dennison , yes that time it actually was “as you said”)

All that said, my confidence that pea brained Jim Biden can address any of those issues is somewhere south of nil.

Reactions: David_Dennison
I don’t mind pushing more electric vehicle use, but with some caveats.
1) in truth we are just moving the carbon burn from the vehicle to the power plant. Is that better or worse?
2) the materials used to make the batteries are acquired through labor practices that wouldn’t fly in many places. I guess it’s ok if it’s “other people?”
3) a phased approach that is more carrot than stick will be better received and have fewer negative unintended consequences, akin to a phased approach with China re: tariffs abs manufacturing ($1 to @David_Dennison , yes that time it actually was “as you said”)

All that said, my confidence that pea brained Jim Biden can address any of those issues is somewhere south of nil.
The climate is changing but it’s a natural geological orbital process. It happens every 50k yrs but no one kept records or had capability to spread panic-until recently. So everyone lived happily-now it’s a thing to manipulate politically.

I’m a lot more concerned with contaminants, particulates and toxins. The carbon crap is a load of bullshit. Physical laws of conservation of energy /matter cannot be violated no matter what they call it. Combustion of any substance is going to release CO2 in order to release energy. It takes carbon produced ener to change the batteries. Ice will melt, Sea levels will rise, then it will reverse a we’ll have glaciers in Iowa.( hopefully;)

The only way to change that is to convert natural energy directly to energy- that leaves nuclear, geothermal, solar and wind. Hopefully there is some deregulation of commercial scale modular nukes… but it’s not likely to happen in my lifetime.

The climate is changing but it’s a natural geological orbital process. It happens every 50k yrs but no one kept records or had capability to spread panic-until recently. So everyone lived happily-now it’s a thing to manipulate politically.

I’m a lot more concerned with contaminants, particulates and toxins. The carbon crap is a load of bullshit. Physical laws of conservation of energy /matter cannot be violated no matter what they call it. Combustion of any substance is going to release CO2 in order to release energy. It takes carbon produced ener to change the batteries. Ice will melt, Sea levels will rise, then it will reverse a we’ll have glaciers in Iowa.( hopefully;)

The only way to change that is to convert natural energy directly to energy- that leaves nuclear, geothermal, solar and wind. Hopefully there is some deregulation of commercial scale modular nukes… but it’s not likely to happen in my lifetime.
Wow..not the response I would have expected. As for GW or “climate change” etc., I haven’t the slightest idea what may (or may not) be going on but God’s magnificent creation, earth, is an amazing thing to behold. We are called to be good stewards of her while here but more importantly towards each other. And the glaciers in IA, if y’all haven’t been here come on up and you’ll learn why…..
60005055.jpg

Reactions: BamaFan1137

Nice to be on the same side of an issue for once, I'm with you on the air quality, etc. being a more pragmatic focus than carbon emissions. The problem, and we've sparred over alternative energy on this board before, is many of the "green" solutions have their own environmental issues or cost concerns. I like the nuke idea - and as discussed here most of the nuclear power plants in existence are old enough to start getting AARP mailers. Newer tech makes for a better and safer plant, but good luck getting people to see the forest for the trees.

Core problem is everyone wants to "help the environment" as long as it doesn't affect them. They still want to be able to go anywhere and do what they want - but everyone else should cut their usage. I don't think the 20-something kids with the grand ideas understand what they will give up if they get their way. They might find out though!

Nice to be on the same side of an issue for once, I'm with you on the air quality, etc. being a more pragmatic focus than carbon emissions. The problem, and we've sparred over alternative energy on this board before, is many of the "green" solutions have their own environmental issues or cost concerns. I like the nuke idea - and as discussed here most of the nuclear power plants in existence are old enough to start getting AARP mailers. Newer tech makes for a better and safer plant, but good luck getting people to see the forest for the trees.

Core problem is everyone wants to "help the environment" as long as it doesn't affect them. They still want to be able to go anywhere and do what they want - but everyone else should cut their usage. I don't think the 20-something kids with the grand ideas understand what they will give up if they get their way. They might find out though!
The real measurable human problem with carbon fuel generation lies only in the air treatment and disposition of coal ash. It is the industry’s dirty little secret. Every year of operation produces about a ton each of mercury and chromium .

Most Amazing fun fact thorium and uranium are present in most coal seams and about 1-2 Tons is radioactive waste are concentrated and produced every year. It’s lower level of course but overall it’s a bigger problem than disposal of all spent rods in US . State and environmental lobbies figured out that that best way to hide it was to not to require testing. .. but someday it’s going to be problem to account for . It’s got to go somewhere.

Reactions: dhetiger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT