ADVERTISEMENT

Teams that will surprise next year

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
What are some teams that might be surprising next year, either in a positive or negative way?

I think 4A is wide open, and with all of the big boys playing each other it'll be interesting to see what the 16 teams are that make it.

3A kind of seems like the teams that were at the top of the class have more holes to fill then in recent years.

2A has a group of good 3A teams coming down

1A has some interesting matchups

A has some heavy favorites can anyone jump up and surprise

8 man can anyone take down Bosco, and what will the drop downs do?

Last edited:
What are some teams that might be surprising next year, either in a positive or negative way?

I think 4A is wide open, and with all of the big boys playing each other it'll be interesting to see what the 16 teams are that make it.

3A kind of seems like the teams that were at the top of the class have more holes to fill then in recent years.

2A has a group of good 3A teams coming down

1A has some interesting matchups

A has some heavy favorites can anyone jump up and surprise

8 man can anyone take down Bosco, and what will the drop downs do?
Just a brief overlook of some class a schedules I think there will be a few Surprise playoff teams solely because of how the state did the schedules of the traditional powers in class a.

Is there any week 0 games this year?

My quick scan through the schedules shows the week of August 28 as the first game for everybody, so no.

As for surprise teams, I've just looked at 3A District 6 in any detail, and I just know a little bit about Cedar Rapids area teams. Clear Creek-Amana is poised to be pretty good after a 5-4 season last year (they return pretty much all of their skill position guys). Likewise Grinnell returns a ton from their 6-3 team last year. I have a feeling West Delaware is ready to bounce back after a couple of down seasons - but that's just a feeling.

In 4A around here I think Prairie's schedule is going to be a killer. Cedar Rapids Washington, on the other hand, has a schedule that might see them do better this year. Kennedy has a tough schedule, but then again, don't all the 4A powerhouses have tough schedules this year (if anybody goes 9-0 or 8-1 this year, they're going to earn it)?

Dubuque Senior is going to really surprise some people this year. They have the most talent they have had in 30 years. They return the 4A leading receiver(WatkinsHogue,) Iowa State OL commit Jim Bonifas, an Ivy League DL/TE recruit Carson Tart, Seth Bullock LB who is getting FCS offers, but will probably get D1 offers. Cain McWilliams will get some FCS offers as a DB and is a pretty good RB, and quite a few others that are excellent athletes that were major contributors to the playoff team last year. They have the size on the OL that they didn't last year. Schedule has a few tough games, but they should be in playoffs and could possibly make a run.

Looking at the schedules, the playoffs will include a Davenport school, a Sioux City school, and Marshalltown. There is a chance that Bettendorf (who will be much better than any of those schools) wont make it. Bettendorf and Centennial must have really pissed off someone in Boone.

Looking at the schedules, the playoffs will include a Davenport school, a Sioux City school, and Marshalltown. There is a chance that Bettendorf (who will be much better than any of those schools) wont make it. Bettendorf and Centennial must have really pissed off someone in Boone.
Not sure about a DHS making it, if one does it would be North. As for Bett, yeah they lost A LOT to graduation and their schedule is brutal. They will be challenged to manage a 5-4 record...let alone the PO’s.

Rockford in 8 man.
Osage in 1A.
Rockford's coach of the last 2 years, Torian Wolf, is taking over at osage this fall. We will see if Rockford can fill his shoes and keep their new found momentum going, or if they will fall off and go back to a mediocre at best team.

I'm more interested to see what Osage is able to do with a their new coach, as I am from St. Ansgar and go to this game annually.

Neither of these teams may be considered surprising given the circumstances, but it will be interesting to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT