ADVERTISEMENT

Teams moving up a class or down a class for year?

usfhawk

All District
Jul 13, 2006
What teams in 1A will be moving up or down a class for next season?

West Lyon will be in 2A next year. Some big classes coming up.

Last edited:
Simply judging from the bodies on the sideline and what I know about the district demographics, I would guess that Van Meter might be poised to go up, but I don't know any data to support that thought.

Additionally, if many more teams drop to 8-man, I think they're going to have to seriously look at getting rid of a class.

and from the 2018-19 list it looks like DNH was right near the top of 1A in size too. It'll be interesting, as will the new districts.

DNH has a smaller freshmen class so their BEDS for the football count will be 201...that should keep them in 1A for at least one more cycle

Not much will change on the 2A/1A line but several teams will move between 1A/A. Regina and North Linn will drop to A. Hudson moves up to 1A

Official BEDS numbers aren't out just yet, then for a team like Regina being parochial they are harder to find usually. The interesting thing about 1A is that the difference between the biggest and smallest school is only about 40 kids which is 12 or 13 a grade. Having a big or small class can really skew your numbers.

Not much will change on the 2A/1A line but several teams will move between 1A/A. Regina and North Linn will drop to A. Hudson moves up to 1A
The "A" board just got a lot more interesting with pine and cid. Lol. Given regina philosophy though, I'd heard they would petition to stay up. Could be totally wrong here. If they dropped to A next year that would be ugly. And looking at it geographically, there doesn't appear to be much close to them.

Reactions: MsideChief
I do not think Regina cares about how far they have to travel if they drop down to A. Considering over the past several years, they have not (would not) play their biggest AND CLOSEST rival in West Branch in non-district or district play.

I do not think Regina cares about how far they have to travel if they drop down to A. Considering over the past several years, they have not (would not) play their biggest AND CLOSEST rival in West Branch in non-district or district play.

Regina would have loved to play West Branch. Look no further than how this years playoff game went...
But, Butch and West Branch preferred to play teams like West Liberty and Burlington Notre Dame while Regina was playing teams like Xavier, Solon, and Pella Christian.

Whoa.... is this a thread where we just make things up? Known fact across the state that this is not true. In fact, the fighting Catholics have actually been shunned by most local schools over the last few years. Good for xavier and Williamsburg for saying yes lately. Although guessing with the current system regina has no interest in playing up out of district anymore. That's a shame for the system.

Now this made me chuckle more than most.

Whoa.... is this a thread where we just make things up? Known fact across the state that this is not true. In fact, the fighting Catholics have actually been shunned by most local schools over the last few years. Good for xavier and Williamsburg for saying yes lately. Although guessing with the current system regina has no interest in playing up out of district anymore. That's a shame for the system.

That would be a fault of the system.

They really should be in the same district. If they’re both good enough then they both should be in the playoffs.

I wasn’t addressing that aspect. There is no benefit to challenging your team and playing up a class or two in your ND games.

I hope they attempt to fix the RPI system for this cycle. Playing schools up a class should be weighted more, and losing to a bigger school not cost as much.
And, I wish they would have at least one game that doesn't count towards the RPI or playoffs to encourage rivalry games or to let teams challenge themselves.

Reactions: PNation and dtk913
I agree with this 100%, teams shouldn't be punished for playing a challenging schedule in the non-district. Too often we were seeing teams that played a non-district schedule full of cupcakes be higher in the RPI then a districtmate that they lost to.

Reactions: Pinehawk
The only issue with weighting out of class games more is not every 2A and 3A school is created equal. Pine already brought up the disparity between Regina and WB's schedules, both played 3 out of class games, granted Regina played a 3A school whereas WB played 3 2A schools, but how does the state weigh that? What is an equitable solution? Look at West Sioux, West Lyon, Western Christian, they all played BH/RV the last 2 years, in 2018 they all lost to the 2A runner up, this year BH/RV was a 4-5 team. Sometimes it's difficult to know which schools will be good each 2 year cycle when the schedules are setup. Just some thoughts.

It is difficult, and certainly not all 2A or 3A schools are equal for sure. If that change were made, there would certainly be class 1A teams seeking out the worst 2A and 3A teams they could find.
But, that would still be better than it is now I believe?

I believe in both baseball and soccer they use a point system to seed the playoffs, 3 points for beating a 3A team, 2 points for beating a 2A team, etc. Of course, that works better with having a lot more games on the schedule.

I believe in both baseball and soccer they use a point system to seed the playoffs, 3 points for beating a 3A team, 2 points for beating a 2A team, etc. Of course, that works better with having a lot more games on the schedule.
for soccer, that's just for the bracket in Des Moines. You get points for each win, more points for win up classes, but there is no lost game penalty.That just (obviously) impacts record

It is difficult, and certainly not all 2A or 3A schools are equal for sure. If that change were made, there would certainly be class 1A teams seeking out the worst 2A and 3A teams they could find.
But, that would still be better than it is now I believe?

They no longer do this and the coaches seed the teams in the district. So it could be used as an argument, but no point based system.

The only issue with weighting out of class games more is not every 2A and 3A school is created equal. Pine already brought up the disparity between Regina and WB's schedules, both played 3 out of class games, granted Regina played a 3A school whereas WB played 3 2A schools, but how does the state weigh that? What is an equitable solution? Look at West Sioux, West Lyon, Western Christian, they all played BH/RV the last 2 years, in 2018 they all lost to the 2A runner up, this year BH/RV was a 4-5 team. Sometimes it's difficult to know which schools will be good each 2 year cycle when the schedules are setup. Just some thoughts.

You do realize that RV/BH was 4-5 because they lost three of those games to WS,WL, and Western. They were still a very good team but played 3 games against 3 very good D1 opponents that could arguably beat every 2A school. You are trying to make the argument that playing RVBH shouldn't be weighted more because they were 4-5 holds no water at all. Their only other losses were to SBL(a play away from being at least the 3A runner up) and CLGLR. There are exceptions to the rule but if you average it out year after year the competition is better as you move up in class. Simple participation numbers dictates that. If you are going to stick with this bogus RPI system then you have to account for playing up in class

You do realize that RV/BH was 4-5 because they lost three of those games to WS,WL, and Western. They were still a very good team but played 3 games against 3 very good D1 opponents that could arguably beat every 2A school. You are trying to make the argument that playing RVBH shouldn't be weighted more because they were 4-5 holds no water at all. Their only other losses were to SBL(a play away from being at least the 3A runner up) and CLGLR. There are exceptions to the rule but if you average it out year after year the competition is better as you move up in class. Simple participation numbers dictates that. If you are going to stick with this bogus RPI system then you have to account for playing up in class
I'm aware of BH/RV's schedule, my point isn't that they are a good or bad team, just that from year to year teams vary. In a 2 year cycle not all the teams are going to be the same from year to year. Wilton was 8-1 in 2018 and 1-8 in 2019, Bellevue 9-0 in 2018, 5-4 in 2019. In regards to a weighted system, what is the incentive for 2A or 3A schools to play down? Or is that the answer? Teams only play in class games?

That's a great point. From the perspective of a Class 3A or 2A team if a weighted system were in place...why would they play down? They'd be looking to play up too potentially.
It's complicated. I don't have the answer.

I would at least like to see a game that doesn't county towards RPI, so a small rural school could play their rival neighboring town, or a good team could take a shot at a bigger team.
Those games bring out the fans and the excitement for football.
While the game wasn't that great this year, and wasn't really a fair match up with the new RPI system...I didn't see a bigger crowd all year than Regina at Xavier to start the season.

That's a great point. From the perspective of a Class 3A or 2A team if a weighted system were in place...why would they play down? They'd be looking to play up too potentially.
It's complicated. I don't have the answer.

I would at least like to see a game that doesn't county towards RPI, so a small rural school could play their rival neighboring town, or a good team could take a shot at a bigger team.
Those games bring out the fans and the excitement for football.
While the game wasn't that great this year, and wasn't really a fair match up with the new RPI system...I didn't see a bigger crowd all year than Regina at Xavier to start the season.
You are right, I never thought about the impact of attendance and atmosphere. Being from a town that plays WB regularly, while we don't win often it is probably the highest attended game of the year when it's at home, and it would be unfortunate for that to end. I don't have any good solutions for the RPI argument, but I wonder if rewarding the higher RPI team with a first round home game regardless of being a district champion or not is a good idea. It hurts Osage, who played a tough schedule, but it would reward all the district 1 teams who played a tough schedule as well. It would hurt Treynor and Mediapolis who had the 2 easiest schedules in the playoffs. It doesn't solve the issue of who gets in and who doesn't, but it can reward high performing teams that may have also run into other high performing teams.

How about dropping the one non-district game off the RPI that hurts it the most for each team. And/or dictating that each team play the same number of non-district games against another class. I don’t know honestly, but I’m sure we could up with something if they asked. I still like making a teams wins/losses worth more than your opponents wins/losses, they should be equal weight.

when do classifications come out?
The only thing I found on the state site was from the August meeting where they said the classification committee will meet this fall as scheduled. There's no clarification of when it's released. It seems like January is a usual time for them to issue various rule changes etc. Don't know if classification will come out then or not.

The "A" board just got a lot more interesting with pine and cid. Lol. Given regina philosophy though, I'd heard they would petition to stay up. Could be totally wrong here. If they dropped to A next year that would be ugly. And looking at it geographically, there doesn't appear to be much close to them.

Given Regina's philosophy? What philosophy is this? They have declined every opportunity in the past to play up, so have they recently had a change in philosophy? I would be surprised to see Regina play up, but would definitely applaud them for it.

Given Regina's philosophy? What philosophy is this? They have declined every opportunity in the past to play up, so have they recently had a change in philosophy? I would be surprised to see Regina play up, but would definitely applaud them for it.

Using your standard everyone but the 4A schools has the same philosophy. Good job in selecting one school to focus on.

I believe he was focusing on the poster who said Regina has a different philosophy than the rest of the state, other than a handful of class A teams who choose not to play 8 man. I believe you rightly stated Regina is no different than anyone else. See we all agree.

I believe he was focusing on the poster who said Regina has a different philosophy than the rest of the state, other than a handful of class A teams who choose not to play 8 man. I believe you rightly stated Regina is no different than anyone else. See we all agree.

Actually he made no comparison. He addressed the philosophy of Regina, nothing more, nothing else.

That is because the original poster focused only on Regina. His was response was on the original poster stating Regina has a different philosophy than the rest of the state, you so eloquently debunked.

That is because the original poster focused only on Regina. His was response was on the original poster stating Regina has a different philosophy than the rest of the state, you so eloquently debunked.
What other 1A school has reached out to 4A schools to schedule home and always? Pretty short convo. And I'm not even a regina homer.

Butt hurt at success much? That team has made every other team in 1A better the last five years. Ask your coach, they will say yes.

What other 1A school has reached out to 4A schools to schedule home and always? Pretty short convo. And I'm not even a regina homer.

I don't think you are following. Yes they schedule tough opponents regular season. But as the Regina fan base have stated, they have not competed in a class above the class they qualify. Just like every other team in the state.

I don't think you are following. Yes they schedule tough opponents regular season. But as the Regina fan base have stated, they have not competed in a class above the class they qualify. Just like every other team in the state.
Got it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT