ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Mileage

mtdew_fever

All District
Jul 14, 2004
What is the typical weekly mileage coaches recommend having their kids run during the summer? I realize it definitely varies from one team and also individually, but was curious what some were running this summer.

I would bet I am in the minority, but I just want them to get some running in. I have basic plans on how to get 100, 150, 200 miles in during the summer. 100 isn't hard at all, but it is a start. In May, some ask for 110, some 150, some 200. Some don't ask at all and just do their thing. I imagine almost every coach preaches that the best way to have fall success is the summer work. The kids are smart, they know the more they do the better they will be. They also have a pretty good idea of what the first week or two will be like and that those days will be much easier the more they do in the summer. This doesn't really answer your question, but if my runners asked me, I would say 18-25 for girls and 20-30 for boys depending on their schedule, summer heat, etc. We are not a high mileage program like others, so some may laugh at that response, but it is what I would suggest.

We recommend quality runs..... Ideally, for us, we would rather have kids run three good runs per week than 5 or 6 short runs. We basically tell them if they are going to run 1 day per week, make it 60-70 minutes. Runs 2 and 3 should be 45-50 minutes. After that, they can fill in with easy runs of 30-40 minutes. Maybe one run per week (after runs 1,2 and 3) could be a tempo/buildup run..... Just threshold kind of pace. We don't encourage anything very fast, we don't encourage racing - unless using it as a tempo run, or just for fun at aerobic pace.

Personally, I think runs of 65 minutes, and two at 45-50 minutes does more for a person than 5-6 30 minute runs.

I would say our best kids, most successful kids, most improved kids are probably doing 30-40 miles per week in the off season. However, the vast majority of our runners don't do that much. Most run inconsistently, or not at all.

We were always just given vague fitness benchmarks as guidelines for summer training. For example:

Junior high runners should be able to comfortably run 2-3 miles
HS girls should be able to run five miles (more like seven if one had varsity aspirations)
HS boys should be able to run seven miles (ten for varsity runners)

Obviously some people asked for (and received) more structured programs, but these were the sort of bare minimum expectations for everyone regardless of talent/dedication level. Athletes were free to go about achieving these in whatever way worked with their schedule and level of interest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT