ADVERTISEMENT

Substates

yea i figured they wanted to wait on the rankings but theyve been released now...Boone needs to get on top of things

I am not so sure they weren't waiting for some key matches to be played this week. E.g., 2A - Perry v. ADM; Pella v. Norwalk; Marion v. CCA; etc.

On related note - has IHSAA position changed at all on the size of fields that are considered adequate to host substates? Last couple years they only had to meet the minimum sizes which is a long way from regulation size. It really changes the game when you play on a football field as an example.

I believe that only full size fields should be used. Marion uses a full size field and it sucks to play on anything smaller.

I understand a lot of teams can't put a full size field in their stadium - but my sense is games are not needed to be played in stadiums for seating capacity reasons. Most soccer programs grew up with an open field and some lawn chairs on the sidelines. Just feels like the ihsaa could draw a line since it really changes the game.

They should move the State tournament back to Muscatine, where the Best fields in the Midwest are located.

yea youve made this demand before a few years back and its not going to change. dude you seriously need to get over it. as for the fields, often times it is kept in that location for monetary reasons, not just seating. it is cheaper to have more things centralized for a school then it is to have multiple fields. also has to be considered that they dont all have the area to put in a full-sized field. i have had this talk with a few different ADs in my life, and thats the general consensus

Yeah, wasn't it great in 2009, when Des Moines had to scatter the state tournament around to fields all over Des Moines, when they could have held it in Muscatine at the Best Field in the Midwest.

Just plain dumb

We'll see how the Girls Union handles things in Muscatine with just 2 game fields and 3 classes this year - they start at 10:00 am and run straight thru til 9:45 pm. Hope they don't have any OT matches. they are running a tight schedule.

Cownie just makes more sense as a state tourney location.

Coming from someone in Des Moines, it's not really unbiased opinion there is it, Menace?
Muscatine's complex is overall Better. End of story

Field controversy: Substate 8 playing the finals on the smallest, crapiest field out of all the schools in the substate.

Who comes up with these stupid brackets. Marion is put into the Xavier bracket as the #12 team, will most likely be 12-2, their 2 losses coming on the road by penalty kicks. ACC on the other hand, got beat by a Marion team that was short 3 starters, and yet they get a bracket of their own? And Xavier most likley has a substandard field on top of that. Hudson has to play the first round without the bye, and yet the final game is on their field? You would think that the pairings should reward effort of the teams, but it looks to me like their is some favortism in who gets to play at home.

in 2A i think they actually did a good job for the MOST part of spreading ranked teams out. Using last weeks rankings, if the top teams win we will have 1.CRX, 2.Dec, 3.Grinnell, 4. Gelnwood, 6. Spirit Lake, 7. ADM, 8. Norwalk, and 18. CCA. only team getting left out would be #5 denison. 7 out of the 8 top ranked teams at state would not be bad, isnt that what u want, the best teams at state?

I deff agree tho about district 4, those teams down there are awful, i just dont know who you would drag down there distance wise to make it even, maybe grinnell and knox instead of cca and someone? just a thought. And alot of these district finals are in strange places, im fine with letting the better teams have home field, but only D2, D3, D4 are that way...

There are some problems inherent with this system like - timing and accuracy. Use 2A for example

The rankings have probably not adjusted quickly enough to be accurate this season. Examples: ADM losing 3 of 5 matches last week and only dropping 3 spots, Knoxville dropped 2 of 3 matches the week before and hadn't beaten a decent team all year and still didn't fall out of the rankings.

There are too many key matches that take place late in the season and so we use rankings that are clearly outdated. examples: Perry beats ADM, Pella beats Norwalk, etc.

I wonder if the ihsaa waited til Friday to try to wait for some key contests this week. Either way, Sub 2 is a meat grinder and Sub 4 just looks way too weak. I think it must be tough to balance the geography and the seedings.

I wonder if Sub 5 is being played in Pella- because Norwalk probably didn't have the ability to host at the town sports complex due to scheduling. Just a guess. Probably irrelevant since Pella beat Norwalk 4-2 this week.

Fun times.

gOCUI,

While I see where you are coming from I think things should work itself out at least for Sub 5 and 7.

Pella should be the overwhelming favorite to beat Knoxville having just spanked them 7-0. This rematch will be in Pella. Assuming no upsets, Pella should also win the substate beating Norwalk whom they just beat 4-2. They will also get this rematch in Pella.

Likewise barring any upsets and Perry and ADM meet for a rematch of last weeks 2-0 Perry win at least that will be at a neutral field and Perry will not have to face ADM there again (that would be a kick in the nards for Perry since they are the only team this year to give ADM a home loss).

Both Perry and Pella are underrated relative to Norwalk and ADM's ratings, but at least they haven't been put into a disadvantage and both should emerge victorious from substate.

Originally posted by VLADIMER:
Field controversy: Substate 8 playing the finals on the smallest, crapiest field out of all the schools in the substate.
I don't think the IHSAA will allow Dowling to host a substate game on that joke of a field.

Guess I was way off on Norwalk, ADM, Perry, and Pella.

Second season is just that. You can throw out the window what happened in regular season and focus on the game in front of you and what you have to do (or do differently) to win it. That is especially true if you have coaching as good as Norwalk and ADM.

Congrats and good luck to all! Looks to be some good matchups in the first round including the the 2 teams above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT