ADVERTISEMENT

Substate Pairings

hawkfootball1208

Freshman
Nov 5, 2003
I've been following Boy's Soccer the last few years, but I don't really remember if this was an issue in previous substate pairings.
I figured that the substate final would be at a neutral site, but Valley will likely host Ankeny for a trip to state....Cedar Rapids Kennedy will likely host Iowa City West for a trip to state. I was wondering if this kind of advantage happens every year? Also, how big of an advantage is it for Valley and CR Kennedy to be playing at home? Could it be the IHSAA trying to keep substate finals on artificial turf like the three State Tournament sites?

a:the three state tournaments have grass fields
b:homefield advantage does't mean much once your in the finals
c:kenneddy doesn't even have artifiacal turf so what the he11 are you talking about?

The three sites for state this year are all on turf.
The coaches advisory committee this year asked for substate field assignments to be given to fields with priority to those that meet the minimum field size recommendations. Fields are always assigned based on who is in the substate group.

Turf wont be that big of deal at that level (top team vs top team)When you have top team vs ave or below on grass Lesser team can try and keep it close Speed kills ave teams on turf
This post was edited on 5/13 4:12 PM by darknight04

OHHHHHH...Here we go again! Back to semi-final game on a football field 55 yards wide. Last year was on a football field; but it was 65 yards wide (a little better). Spend most of the game chasing balls that have gone out of bounds. It really takes away from an outside game and stretching the field.

I wasn't aware that schools played on smaller fields than others. Like I said I am relatively new to following high school soccer so I am just learning some of these things. I was just unaware why they would have a team that would likely be in substate final host. I know basketball they have neutral sites, so I guess my question was why isn't the Valley/Ankeny substate final played at Urbandale and then Valley Stadium host the substate that Urandale was in. I understand that top teams should not have any problem overcoming that challenge, but still think it should be at a neutral site. Thanks for those who responded helping me understand.

It looks like "giving priority" to larger fields has had little impact on some brackets. Harlan and Glenwood both host games and their fields are around 56-58 yards wide.

That is the reason it isn only a suggestion, not a requirement, some areas just don't have the larger fields available.

That substate has a great field in Denison - If they can be in the same substate, why not use the field? Or, in the past, the Council Bluffs city fields (Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln's fields) have been used for substate games in this area. It's just sad that you have a good field in the substate that everyone was expecting to play on --- why not use it?

They may not have been able to host on the other dates, should have been offered to them first.

Oh the pain grows...just found out this weekend that Harlan's field is only 52 yards wide! It looks like playing on big fields was all talk - Politics is what decided where this substate played their games
This post was edited on 5/18 7:33 AM by all-gone

What is the big deal in 3A anyway? It is Dowling and then everyone else for the title. Like the east side of the state has a chance anyway?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Dowling did win last year, Correct? It is their title to lose, Correct? So, what is the problem?

How are they doing this year? What is their record?

Last year has nothing to do with this year. No Maxey. No Waggoner. No state championship.

Please, current records are meaningless. We recently crushed Ames and are on a roll. We play Urbandale tonight and that should be a 3 to 0 score. No Maxey. No Waggoner. No Problem. We are Dowling Catholic.

Current records are meaningless???

Current record is a lot more meaningful than what a team did the previous year. Dowling is no where near the team they were last year and their results from this year prove it.

yes Dowling is definitely not the same as last year. And If City West and Kennedy and Wash are all East side teams then your comment makes no sense.

Hate to disappoint you glass slipper, but Dowling is on a roll. We have the momentum. We would have no problem waxing an all star team made up of the four schools that you have listed. We are not the same team as last year at this point, we are better!!!!

you are correct!!! When I saw my friends from Dowling win the state title last year, the kids from the east side of the state did seem delusional. Now you guys are getting it.

I'm afraid that the only teams with a chance from the metro area are Ankeny and/or WDM Valley. Look out for Jusef from Hoover too. I'd put my money on IC West as they have been there and usually find a way to get there despite their previous showings in the first round of state.

i watched hoover play roosevelt...they have a shot but...if they play like they did that night they wont go anywhere.very sloppy and poor set=ups all night long.every goal allowed was a huge defensive letdown.cant have that at this time of the year.id say watch out for ankeny

If east side is not a problem for Dowling then how can you explain the 2-1 loss to Pleasant Valley at the muscatine tourney?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT